- Action: Anything that gets your engine roaring and your pulse pounding!
- Comedy: Clever, silly, or just plain wrong- if it makes you laugh it goes here!
- Drama: Now split into two categories!
- Heartwarming: Things that make you go d’awwww.
- Heartwrenching: Tragedy, horror, melancholy, and bittersweet entries go here.
- Parody: Anime/movie preview mashups, Clever animation alterations, mini-abridges (nothing longer than 5 minutes), and spoofs on popular video formats go here!
- Freestyle: Got a great idea that doesn’t seem to fit another category? Go Freestyle!
If you have an entry that you’re not sure what category you should submit it for, feel free to ask us when you submit it. In the past two years we have had numerous entries we thought were very good, but didn’t feel were the best fit for their category.
We have discussed moving submissions to what we considered more appropriate categories, but didn’t due to worries about giving any competitor an unfair advantage. The rules allow for a change of category with the creator’s consent, but we will not change the category of any video or suggest changes (even if we feel the video might be better suited in a different category) without an explicit request.
Entries sent to previous Anime Central competitions are not eligible.
Entries may not contain bumpers, title screens, or credits. ACen staff will add uniform credits to all entries. Under some circumstances creator generated credits will be allowed if they are built into the video, a required part of it, and cannot be removed. This creative use of entrant embedded credits will be judged at our discretion.
At least 50% of the video must contain footage from anime, video games, or other media. Computer animation and Western animation with strong anime influence (RWBY, Avatar: The Last Airbender, etc.) qualify under this category. As always, when in doubt ask.
By submitting your video to this contest you authorize Anime Central staff to screen and distribute it under the Anime Central Music Video Contest title.
Entries may be disqualified for the following reasons:
- Objectionable content of video or lyrics. (Objectionable content includes excessive profanity, excessive violence, or sexually explicit footage or lyrics. If you are not sure if the above rule means your entry will be disqualified e-mail amv-departmenthead@ACen.org and we can view the content in question and make a decision.) Keep it PG-13, please.
- Bad audio or video quality.
- Failure to adhere to the contest rules.
- Anime Central staff reserves the right to disqualify entries for any reason they see necessary to protect the overall quality and integrity of the program.
Any physical media that entries are submitted on becomes the property of Anime Central and will not be returned.
There is a limit of one entry per category per creator.
Information about this year’s AMV contest, AMV programming, and other related topics can be found and discussed on our forum, Facebook page and website. If your questions do not specifically involve your own videos content please direct all questions to the forum first. This same question may be shared by multiple people and may have already been answered. Find our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/AnimeMusicVideosAtAnimeCentral/.
File Format Requirements
- Entries must be in either .MP4 or .MOV format.
- Files must be under 3.5 GB in size.
- Videos may be submitted either via e-mail or on physical media. Entries on physical media should contain only the entry, and may be sent on CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.
- Changed, In the interest of brevity: Files should be named in the format [Title_category.extension]. This should make it easier to file submissions on our end, and ease some confusion as to how files are supposed to be named.
- All entries must have at least 1 second of black before the video starts and after it ends.
- Video resolution should be no lower than 1280 x 720, or the highest available quality for media that were created in a lower-resolution format to begin with.
Entry Submission Instructions
Submit your information on our Google Form, even if you have included the information with a physical entry.
Package your media carefully in appropriate mailers. Optical media in standard jewel cases can easily break off a hub during shipping.
Mail Entries should be sent to:
AMV Department Head
908 Warren ST
Davenport, Iowa, 52804
Perform quality control on your entries and read the FAQ post on our forum before mailing or uploading your entries. We will make every effort to view your submission, but reserve the right to request re-submission or disqualify the entry in the case of an unreadable format.
Awards and Physical Prizes
Each category will have a winner, a finalist, and an honorable mention. Winners will receive a trophy and prizes, finalists will receive a certificate, and honorable mentions will be mentioned honorably at the awards ceremony at con.
Prizes will be awarded to the winner of each category, as well as three Judge’s Choice winners and a Best in Show winner.
If you attend the awards presentation you (or a proxy named by you in your submission) may collect any winnings at that time by providing legal proof of your identity (state issued ID, passport, etc.). To be eligible to receive physical prizes, you or your proxy must have a valid convention membership.