Hello everybody! We are pleased to announce that we are now accepting submissions for our 2018 AMV Contest! We were blown away by the quantity and quality of our entrants last year and look forward to another wonderful contest this year!
There have been a few changes to our rules this year to reflect our experiences and feedback in 2017, so please read carefully below. Most notably we have a new parody category open for submission. We added this category because of the popularity of preview style AMVs and fandubs/abridging, which lack the traditional music part of an AMV, as well as videos that remake openings or other media with new animation, and several other hard to classify video types. We received a fair number of these videos last year that were very good, but failed to shine in judging because they didn’t quite fit the category they were submitted in. If you have a video and are not sure if it would be best in comedy, parody, or freestyle feel free to contact us about it and we will gladly help you with placement- we want every AMV to shine its brightest!
Here are the official rules for the 2018 ACen AMV contest. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AnimeMusicVideosAtAnimeCentral/
Or email us directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contest Categories available:
Action– Anything that gets your engine roaring and your pulse pounding!
Comedy– Clever, silly, or just plain wrong- if it makes you laugh it goes here!
Drama– ALL the feels!
Horror– From mysteries to ghosts to gore to existential dread, all things spooky belong in this category!
Parody– Anime/ movie preview mashups, Clever animation alterations, mini-abridges (nothing longer than 5 minutes), and spoofs on popular video formats go here!
Freestyle– Got a great idea that doesn’t seem to fit another category? Go Freestyle!
Basic Entry Requirements:
Entries sent to previous Anime Central competitions are not eligible.
Mail entries will be accepted starting February 14th, 2018.
All entries must be in the hands of the contest coordinators by May 11th, 2018.
All entrants must include with their submission the following information: the music used, the anime used, the title of the video itself, and the creator’s email and mailing address (so that we can contact winners promptly and expedite delivery of prizes and awards).
- Entries may not contain bumpers, title screens, or credits. ACen staff will add uniform credits to all entries. Under some circumstances creator generated credits will be allowed if they are built into the video, a required part of it, and cannot be removed. This creative use of entrant embedded credits will be judged at our discretion.
- 50% of the video must contain anime footage. Video game footage is acceptable for this requirement, as long as the game footage is thematically appropriate (anime-inspired style, game that was adapted into anime or vice-versa).
Entries may be disqualified for the following reasons:
- Objectionable content of video or lyrics. (Objectionable content includes excessive profanity, excessive violence, or sexually explicit footage or lyrics. If you are not sure if the above rule means your entry will be disqualified e-mail amv-departmenthead@ACen.org and we can view the content in question and make a decision.) Keep it PG-13, please.
- Bad audio or video quality.
- Failure to adhere to the contest rules.
- By submitting your video to this contest you authorize Anime Central staff to screen and distribute it under the Anime Central Music Video Contest title.
- Any physical media that entries are submitted on becomes the property of Anime Central and will not be returned.
- There is a limit of one entry per category per creator.
- Anime Central staff reserves the right to disqualify entries for any reason they see necessary to protect the overall quality and integrity of the program.
- Information about this year’s AMV contest, AMV programming, and other related topics can be found and discussed on our forum, Facebook page and website. If your questions do not specifically involve your own videos content please direct all questions to the forum first. This same question may be shared by multiple people and may have already been answered. (Find our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/AnimeMusicVideosAtAnimeCentral/
File Format Requirements:
• Entries must be in a video format playable by VLC media player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html)
- Videos may be submitted either via e-mail or on physical media. Entries on physical media should contain only the entry, and may be sent on CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.
- Your file name should contain its genre (for contest purposes), your name, and the title of your video, in that order. Studio names, if used, must be placed in brackets between your name and the title. You must follow this format. (Example: GENRE – Artist – [Artist Studio] – Title.file extension)
- All entries must have 1 second of black before the video starts and after it ends.
- Video resolution should be no lower than 1280 x 720.
Entry Submission Instructions:
Mail & Online Entries:
E-mail your information to email@example.com, even if you have included the information with a physical entry.
Package your media carefully in appropriate mailers. Optical media in standard jewel cases can easily break off a hub during shipping.
Mail Entries should be sent to: Doug Adkins ATTN: ACEN 2018 908 Warren Street Davenport, Iowa 52804
Perform quality control on your entries and read the FAQ post on our forum before mailing or uploading your entries. We will make every effort to view your submission, but reserve the right to request re-submission or disqualify the entry in the case of an unreadable format.
Sweet, Sweet Loot
Prizes will be awarded to the winner of each category as well as one Judge’s Choice winner.
Awards will be presented to the winners and finalists in each category.
If you attend the awards presentation on Sunday of the convention you may collect any winnings at that time by providing legal proof of your identity (state issued ID, passport, etc.) and you Anime Central Badge for 2018. Otherwise we will mail prizes and awards to their recipients at the address provided to us, provided you have registered membership to Anime Central.