Anime Central Forums

Haiiro   

Hello,

I wanted to ask about the average time one typically spends waiting in line to get an attendee badge at the con itself. A friend recently expressed interest in going to ACen with me and said he'd prefer to just get the badge on the day instead of paying extra for the pre-con registration (as the lower early-reg costs have already come and gone).

So my question is: Will he have to wait an unreasonable amount of time if he goes that Saturday to get his badge? If so, what is the best alternative I can offer him? If not, when is the earliest someone can get in the badge line at ACen this year?

This will be his first anime convention so I want to be able to help as much as possible.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

ACEN 2013 1.jpg

Edited by Haiiro

Depends on when you line up. But the lines are typically a very long weight. If you get there just when registration starts be prepared to be in line for at least 2 hours i think?

If your friend can come the night before have them hit the registration line before it closes. That way you two can hit the ground running first thing in the morning. 

I would also recommend buying the badge online and doing will call. That line moves a bit faster. 

On 4/16/2019 at 11:02 AM, Haiiro said:

Hello,

I wanted to ask about the average time one typically spends waiting in line to get an attendee badge at the con itself. A friend recently expressed interest in going to ACen with me and said he'd prefer to just get the badge on the day instead of paying extra for the pre-con registration (as the lower early-reg costs have already come and gone).

So my question is: Will he have to wait an unreasonable amount of time if he goes that Saturday to get his badge? If so, what is the best alternative I can offer him? If not, when is the earliest someone can get in the badge line at ACen this year?

This will be his first anime convention so I want to be able to help as much as possible.

ACEN 2013 1.jpg

According to the website the pricing is the same for PreReg and at con this year. I know in the past it was cheaper so apparently that has changed... ? 

https://www.ACen.org/registrations/registration-info/

I would say preregistration is the way to go. You don't have to wait as long. The convention center normally opens an hour or two early but typically it pays to wait about an hour after reg opening then get in line - or atleast thats what I understand from the friends who do wait in the line. Most of the insanity stops then. 

On 4/16/2019 at 11:02 AM, Haiiro said:

Hello,

ACEN 2013 1.jpg

The fastest thing to do would be to have your friend preregister online and then pick up their membership badge/pass from the Will Call area of registration. Online right now only full weekend memberships are available, but single day passes will be available for purchase/registration online the week of the convention. Will Call is the quickest line we have since everyone just needs to scan their barcode or search their name, show and ID and their badge is printed for them. Peak times for all areas of registration is when we open and at 10am when the Exhibit Hall opens. Onsite registration also usually has another peak on Saturday afternoon.

3 hours ago, KungPowKirby said:

According to the website the pricing is the same for PreReg and at con this year. I know in the past it was cheaper so apparently that has changed... ? 

https://www.ACen.org/registrations/registration-info/

Registration rates go to the at-con rate starting April 2. It's gone that way the last several years at least.

Haiiro   

On 4/17/2019 at 5:16 PM, wolfedragon said:

The fastest thing to do would be to have your friend preregister online and then pick up their membership badge/pass from the Will Call area of registration. Online right now only full weekend memberships are available, but single day passes will be available for purchase/registration online the week of the convention. Will Call is the quickest line we have since everyone just needs to scan their barcode or search their name, show an ID and their badge is printed for them. Peak times for all areas of registration is when we open and at 10am when the Exhibit Hall opens. Onsite registration also usually has another peak on Saturday afternoon.

Oh my goodness, that is great to know. So he can preregister the week of the con and have it be just a Saturday pass? That is wonderful news.

Could I also ask what time the convention opens and since you said that time and 10AM are the busiest for lines, is there a time you would recommend he be there to get in line?

There are events going on throughout the course of the weekend, but areas like the Exhibit Hall and Artist Alley open at 10a.  Once the schedule is released you’ll have a better idea of what events are happening when. The schedule is typically released at the end of April or early May. But we’ll make an announcement when it’s available. 

Maze   

I've been going to ACen for a lot of years (Since 2004 if I recall correctly) and the line ride can vary depending on the day, time, and technical issues. I think the longest I've ever ridden the line ride was about 2 hours after the door opened, but that was several years ago. The shortest was about 10 minutes. But I also usually got my badge in the earlier years on Thursday evening.

Will Call is the way to go as it's much faster than registering at the con. 

Sadly I'm not going due to financials and Hyatt and Embassy selling out in under 3 minutes. :\ (My preferred hotels)

Enjoy the con!

London   

Welcome to ACen!

That's awesome that this is your first year. ACen is an excellent con and has certainly grown over the years. Like Maze, I've been attending ACen since 2004. There have been some rough patches for ACen when it comes to the badge line. There was a Saturday one year my friend spent FOUR HOURS in line. I am proud to say though that those days seem to have come and gone. ACen's staff has really invested in their registration process and seems to have increased their efficiency over the years. If you're super concerned about missing out on any of the days events, anytime after 4 pm on Friday, you can purchase your one day badge for Saturday. Otherwise registration opens at 8 am on Saturday.

ACen isn't like most con's and has event's around the clock (and I mean 24 hours). If you can spare the cash and the time, stopping in on Thursday evening and grabbing a full weekend pass is worth it!

Enjoy the con.