Anime Central Forums
Aresef

I haven't been to ACen since 2008--how much has changed?

Aresef   

Last time I was at ACen, there were several Power Rangers guests, Peelander Yellow unintentionally stomped on my iPod and a cyberattack led to a bunch of people waiting forever for their badge. Those are the things that stick out, but I did have fun.

I know the con's grown a bunch since then, but I was wondering, since I'm returning, how that size is reflected in what's been added in terms of events and exhibitors since then?

A lot has changed since 2008.  Attendance has doubled since then, and while I can’t remember the exact number of exhibitors that were there in 2008, Hall A is entirely filled with Industry booths and Exhibitors.  In 2008 the hall was still being shared by many things, some panels, the Artist Alley, etc.  If you’re looking for a specific Exhibitor, there is a listing of who is coming on our website (http://www.acen.org/exhibitors-industry/participant-listing/).

Registration has been really streamlined since 2008.  Last year, I don’t remember seeing the at-con registration being longer than an hour during peak times.  This can be avoided too by having your badge mailed to you.  ACen also expanded into other areas of the convention center, a lot.  We have a separate hall for the Artist Alley, taken many of the ballrooms for panel programming, and last year moved video gaming into another hall.

Aresef, are you following me? Ahahaha And yeah ACen has been growing like crazy since you last attended... I started going in 2012, and in my eye starting in 2014 when the actual con center started being used for panels and whatnot it started to feel like a real con like Anime Boston and Otakon. If you're planning on coming in 2019 I think you should. I've been going from 2012 to now nonstop and sure I had my down/off years, but I always found things to keep me going. 2018's Video Gaming Hall for example was freakin' ENORMOUS! It used the room that I'm sure you remember being unused at the top of the escalators coming up from where the main part of the con center is to where you'd make that left to go on the skybridge towards all the hotels... hard to explain.... but yeah a lot has changed, and I'm super excited to attend again this year.

Edited by Shiggitay

Aresef   
13 hours ago, Shiggitay said:

Aresef, are you following me? Ahahaha And yeah ACen has been growing like crazy since you last attended... I started going in 2012, and in my eye starting in 2014 when the actual con center started being used for panels and whatnot it started to feel like a real con like Anime Boston and Otakon. If you're planning on coming in 2019 I think you should. I've been going from 2012 to now nonstop and sure I had my down/off years, but I always found things to keep me going. 2018's Video Gaming Hall for example was freakin' ENORMOUS! I used the room that I'm sure you remember being unused at the top of the escalators coming up from where the main part of the con center is to where you'd make that left to go on the skybridge towards all the hotels... hard to explain.... but yeah a lot has changed, and I'm super excited to attend again this year.

Hey, what's up? Yeah, last time I was there, memory serves, they had partitions inside the exhibit hall that hosted a couple panel rooms.

I'm really looking forward to coming back.

Just now, Aresef said:

Hey, what's up? Yeah, last time I was there, memory serves, they had partitions inside the exhibit hall that hosted a couple panel rooms.

I'm really looking forward to coming back.

Oh wow... yeah a LOT has changed more than I realized... Back in 2012 when I started attending panel rooms were mostly in the Hyatt, and the dealer's room/AA were split in that same room pretty much half half. Now the DR and AA have separate rooms it seems... Anyone here feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

To be honest - things have changed - and what you consider good just really depends on your outlook and what you did before. Personally I feel like its less in terms of events/guests/etc. ACen has grown as far as footprint. There is much less nightlife unless your a rave person- Thursday is pretty dead. There are only a few room parties and they get shut down pretty quickly. The video game room has gotten better. International guests including musicians seem to be fewer and fewer and for the last few years they seem to be doing pretty much the same things. It seems like the exhibit hall hasnt grown the last few years- they redid the industry area and there is a lot of space now between their booths and the exhibitors area is tighter because of it. *shrug* The Artist Alley has its own section now vs being part of the exhibit hall. Seems a bit more crowded but there is more variety. I dunno - I go every year because Isamu, Rondo, Sinner and others continue to go but I dunno if I'll be back in 2020.