Anime Central Forums
Shiggitay

Convention Rooming PSA

Okay so this is a mini-rant of sorts, so take it as you will, but I have a common sense PSA I want to get out there based on my Otakon experience this year.. When you're rooming with others and you realize that you can't show up, please do the RIGHT THING and cancel in DUE TIME. I had two people cancel on me on THURSDAY when we were checking into our hotel (on my way to its lobby in fact to meet up with my roommates that were there).

I won't mention any names, but please know that I'm not directly mad anymore, but I'm still somewhat upset about it. If you MUST cancel on me or ANYONE in a situation where you owe a share of money, do NOT do it a mere 2 hours before an event is supposed to start (rough example I know).

Thankfully I had awesome roommates this year and they pitched in with the missing cash, but I feel bad that they had to do that. Should this happen again (with such short notice) with anyone I invite to stay with me during a con weekend you are hereby banned from rooming with me. Either that, or once your interest is there please pay me in advance, and THEN if you can't show up, then tough luck with no refunds. It's only fair. End PSA/Rant.

Rinzle   

Something i did in the past when my name was on the rooms was that i had money for the rooms a full month before con so that everyone could lock in their place. I had it due before the hotel took the deposit on the room so that if we needed to drop a room we could. This not only works for multi room bookings but for those who have multiple people staying in the room.

Something i did in the past when my name was on the rooms was that i had money for the rooms a full month before con so that everyone could lock in their place. I had it due before the hotel took the deposit on the room so that if we needed to drop a room we could. This not only works for multi room bookings but for those who have multiple people staying in the room.

This is the way to do it and what I've always done. For ACen anyone staying with me this year has to have money in to me by April 1st, if you don't then I'm not promising you anything.

Highly agree with getting the money before hand. I have stopped running rooms because of the general stress, but one thing I did was set a deadline for the money (usually a month before the con) and everyone knew this deadline 6 months before. I made it VERY clear that they had until 3 months to the deadline to pull out if they weren't going which would give me/us time to find a replacement. If they cancelled after the deadline it was on a case by case basis if they got their money back. (obviously I'm not going to be a douche to my friends' if they had to cancel because someone passed away or they got seriously ill)

I also did "payment plans" so people could drop me $10 a month for however many months until it was paid.

Always best to get the money before hand. I've seen far too many people who are at the con and are spending half of it chasing down roommates for money. No thank you. We're all there to have fun.