Anime Central Forums
ApplePillow

What do the lonely people at ACen do?

I'm slowly starting to get more and more lonely at conventions.. maybe because my friend circle is small.. (only my distant friends cosplay...) and I'm not even that old!!

I really want to know what lonely people do at cons/ACen? At least the moments that their friends are away or they don't have friends at all there? I know someone might walk around and just buy stuff.. but don't some people just feel super lonely? Especially going to panels and potentially having empty seats nearby..?

I'm like 70% sure no one is going to answer this.. I'm a true lonely cephalopod...

Edited by ApplePillow

Don't worry you aren't the only one going by themselves. I got a few panels to check out along with attending a few gatherings. That's all I got so far. Of course you are going to feel lonely at times but you can't let that stop you from having fun or enjoying the weekend.

Edited by MsLovelyCookie

SmilesI   

It's always good to make new friends in line or at the panels you go to. I always seem to run into someone i know and hang out with at cons. And this year my hubby will be with me. :wub: We were just Married last July so now we will always be together when we're at ACen or any con. :glomp: But there are times when we cant both be at a con and finding a group that are gaming or chilling outside is usually a good idea. It helps if you have a pack of cards with you to play with and ask people sitting around if they want to play something. I bring my Cards Against Humanity with me everywhere these days lol. :lol: but even a regular card deck game of BS will help the time go by in a pinch. :happydance:

S1NN3R   

For what it's worth, my 2 cents...

Going alone or not with a group isn't bad or to be feared. It leaves opportunity to meet those with common interests and such. Over the years, my "group of people" I've intended to go with has dissipated leaving myself as a solo con goer. Some of my closest friends I have now, I owe to being stag at ACen, and I'm fortunate to have met them.

My only advice is branch out and meet new people. Your feeling of loneliness will be no more

I first went to ACen in the mid-2000s, and attended the con alone. The first time that I knew someone who was interested in going was 2014. (I wore a costume for the first time last year. Even though it was simple, I got three or four compliments.)

That said, I make efforts to be social. I strive to start conversations. Sometimes they're brief. However, I aim to be polite and welcoming.

It helps if you have a pack of cards with you to play with and ask people sitting around if they want to play something. I bring my Cards Against Humanity with me everywhere these days lol. :lol:/> but even a regular card deck game of BS will help the time go by in a pinch. :happydance:/>

Since I expect to end up in at least one lengthy line at ACen, I make sure to bring at least one card game. I talk with people in lines, and ask them if they're interested. Maybe this year I'll bring the Slash card game.

Isamu   

For what it's worth, my 2 cents...

Going alone or not with a group isn't bad or to be feared. It leaves opportunity to meet those with common interests and such. Over the years, my "group of people" I've intended to go with has dissipated leaving myself as a solo con goer. Some of my closest friends I have now, I owe to being stag at ACen, and I'm fortunate to have met them.

My only advice is branch out and meet new people. Your feeling of loneliness will be no more

The forum meet n greet is always a good place to make potential friends. About half the group I hang with at ACen I met at the greet including S1nn3r.

I actually go to conventions "alone". Typically I'll have a few people I intend to meet up with, and while that's fun, the most fun is being completely alone and meeting new people. I've met some of my best friends at anime conventions, usually waiting in line for things. You're both at an anime con, so you already have something in common to talk about. Waiting in line and you hear the group in front of you talking about series X that you love? Join in! Sometimes you'll get a person/group that doesn't care for your interruption, but more often than not, people love to talk about their fandoms with even more people. Don't be afraid to just strike up conversations. Someone wearing a cosplay from a series you love? Chat with them about it! Conventions are the best places to make new friends in my opinion.

This a little late but here it goes.... There's the anime viewing rooms to watch different anime.

They have photo shoots of people who cosplay as certain characters from different anime shows/movies.

There's the video game room..

Check the handbook for events going on there might be you'd like to see or view..

Later B)

OxKing   

I've been to a few cons alone and I still have fun walking around but it does get quiet lonely tbh. Hopefully I can meet some new friends this year

-JUNK-   

The forum meet n greet is always a good place to make potential friends. About half the group I hang with at ACen I met at the greet including S1nn3r.

My first ACen I didn't have many friends but after branching out like S1nn3r said before I got to meet so many other new friends including Isamu and many more.

Don't limit yourself to folks while you have the best opportunity to meet people with similar interests.

There's usually a forum meetup on Day Zero at the Hyatt somewhere.

Since the forums have been dead these past few years the meet and greet hasn't been too much of a turn out but hey why not show up just to check it out. Although there isn't a thread out for it yet this year but its probably because of the low attendance.

If you are alone I recommend going to the panels, you may find someone you have in common with. Or go to the formal dances or raves and dress up. Also try working at ACen, I made new friends this way too and get to talk to the representatives at the Industry, vendors and artists at ACen.

Is there anyone you know from online that's also going to ACen? Meeting up with them helps. That's what I did in 2012 and we've been rooming together ever since.

Don't worry you aren't the only one going by themselves. I got a few panels to check out along with attending a few gatherings. That's all I got so far. Of course you are going to feel lonely at times but you can't let that stop you from having fun or enjoying the weekend.

Still following my advice again for this year. I'm gonna start talking to others more.

Sometimes going by yourself is great. And you always can talk to people. Or even try to talk to people even cosplaying the same thing as you, or even has a shirt on of the anime or game you like. Always good to start on common ground :). And don't be afraid that if you don't wanna give out your number, give out your email or something. :)

xkiabx   

So I like to chime in here and give my perspective... Well, this ACen will be my 4th year. In a way, I still consider myself a new ACen goer but that aside, I attended my first year with my brother but I was the only one that have been returning since, lols. Since then, I've just been flying in solo from and to, to Anime Central. At first, yea, I did consider it lonely but I had fun. I've made some of the best friends that I never thought would be possible. I don't really remember how we became friends as it just somehow happened, I guess, but we did have similar tastes and interests that brought us even closer. However, I feel that going solo, from my Anime Central experience, if you are enjoying yourself and as long as you are having fun, it's not so bad at all. There's a good reason why I have still been coming to this convention and it's because of the cosplay gatherings and if any of the panels are of interests to me, I also go to panels but if I don't like it the I don't stay. I keep myself busy so I'm always on my feet. ^_^ Truth to be told, I really don't shop at the Dealer's Hall at all, lmfao. I know that everyone has their own reasons and their own things to do at a convention but mine was to get pictures of my favorite characters and series and go to check out panels at Anime Central. Again, even if it does get lonely, don't forget about yourself first. Do you go to have fun? Are you enjoying yourself? Or why do you continue to go to a convention? Yea, the seat next to me in a panel or whatever event that's going on may not have any of my friends but it doesn't stop me from treating myself to some fun that I came for to get away from reality for just a short weekend. One thing I can say as some have already stated and I may put it into my own words but at times, just branch out to people. That circle you're in, you can only be in it for so long so just reach out and experience it. Also, again, importantly, don't forget about yourself.

During ACen 2018, I might bring my Nintendo Switch and a couple of multiplayer / party games. They should be entertaining while waiting in lines.

That said, my card games are inexpensive and durable. They're also easy to understand, and just about as fun during convention lines...

I'm like very anti social and i've been going by myself majority of my 12 years. I mostly just stick to my routine of con lines with casual talking and going to panels. It's a lonely life but im use to it.

Gotta just try to chit chat with people. It might be the only time you see them so don't worry about embarrassing yourself

Jeff   

I recommend going to the board gaming. It's easier to talk to people when the subject matter is right there for you.