Anime Central Forums
Drakenwitch

Amtrak?

So who besides me is Amtraking it a long way just to get to ACen? Post your train number/route and expected arrival time to Union Station.

Lake Shore Limited, expected in at 9:45AM on 5/19 (seeing as how Amtrak yields to every f***ing freight train on the rails, I usually get there just before noon)

Edited by Drakenwitch

kahad   

I'll be taking an Amtrak from Carbondale. Have not got my ticket yet, but I usually take the 7:30 AM train. It usually arrives at Union Station around 1:00 PM.

As Drakenwitch knows I'm considering joining him on the train to ACen, but I dunno if United Airlines will refund my ticket yet... I've not had the chance to call em to find out.

As Drakenwitch knows I'm considering joining him on the train to ACen, but I dunno if United Airlines will refund my ticket yet... I've not had the chance to call em to find out.

If you can't make it you can't make it. I'm usually playing games on my laptop on the train anyway.

kahad   

I've gotten my tickets. I'm be leaving Carbondale 7:30 AM on The Saluki. Should arrive at Union Station 1:30 PM.

Edited by kahad

So only 3 people Amtraking it? Shiggitay isn't able to cancel his flight and I know I'm not the only one in NYC going all the way out to Illinois for this.

Now that I know I'll have someone to share the ride with me I'll plan for AMTRAK for next year.

Now that I know I'll have someone to share the ride with me I'll plan for AMTRAK for next year.

I'm still surprised that it's cheaper to transfer from the Boston cars to the NYC cars on the way to Chicago than it would be to stay on the Boston run...even though both merge in Albany.

It's 2.5 weeks until I get on the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago. No one else from NYC is Amtraking it all the way there? There's alcohol on the train!

Two days until my train leaves Penn Station. Come on. There's a dining car, a cafe car, and I'm bringing booze (for the booze, as much as I say most age restrictions are absolute BS Amtrak is still a federally-subsidized railroad with a police force, so 21+ w/ID).

Edited by Drakenwitch

I suggest visit http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/ for some professional Amtrak riding tips. I also post over there using the same screen name.

Hint: Make sure you sign up for Amtrak Guest Rewards. Got shitload of free business class travels that way.

Next year I am considering going to AX2017 by riding the entire length of the Southwest Chief.

Edited by neutralist

I suggest visit http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/ for some professional Amtrak riding tips. I also post over there using the same screen name.

Hint: Make sure you sign up for Amtrak Guest Rewards. Got shitload of free business class travels that way.

Next year I am considering going to AX2017 by riding the entire length of the Southwest Chief.

I hope you're buying a bedroom for the ride...

I hope you're buying a bedroom for the ride...

Given that you are from NYC you probably have only tried the single-level "Viewliner" trains.

Any train that goes out west of Chicago, including the #58/#59 City of New Orleans route, use the double-decker "Superliner" trains. The low clearance of NY Penn station prevents the use of the Superliner.

Superliner coach seats are actually very comfortable and lies very flat compare to those economy-class flight seats. There is no need for a bedroom (or even a roomette, for that matter) unless you want privacy or you want to take shower. Very easy to move around to the sightseer lounge, restaurant car and the coach cars.

The entire length of the SWC, going from CHI to LAX, takes about 44 hours, assuming clean traffic.

Edited by neutralist

I plan on doing the same thing for AX and/or SDCC in the future as well.

Given that you are from NYC you probably have only tried the single-level "Viewliner" trains.

Any train that goes out west of Chicago, including the #58/#59 City of New Orleans route, use the double-decker "Superliner" trains. The low clearance of NY Penn station prevents the use of the Superliner.

Superliner coach seats are actually very comfortable and lies very flat compare to those economy-class flight seats. There is no need for a bedroom (or even a roomette, for that matter) unless you want privacy or you want to take shower. Very easy to move around to the sightseer lounge, restaurant car and the coach cars.

The entire length of the SWC, going from CHI to LAX, takes about 44 hours, assuming clean traffic.

Nope. Rode coach the whole way! Even had a seat to myself the trip to Chicago this year!

...no one?

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm getting to Chicago this coming year.... There's a SMALL chance (when I ask him) that a friend and I could drive out from CT.. i.e. I would go down there and then we drive up from there... I'll keep you posted.