Anime Central Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nando

Complete novice and weight.

Nando   

Hello, I've been losing weight as recommended by my doctor. I've currently lost 30 pounds and am still going.

I want to start getting into cosplay.

I'm 6'1. So, depending on how well my weight loss goes I should be around 190-200 lbs by ACen next year.

My questions is when should I start putting my stuff together considering I'm going to be losing weight up until ACen.

Nando   

I'd say 3 months advance, and get basics done on a costume. Then like the week or two before, take it in and adjust, and if they have any little details, do those as well.

Okay!

Thanks for that. :)

Yeah, if you plan on losing weight, wait a bit longer for the parts of your cosplay that might be the most affected by that change. Last year with ACen 3 months away, I decided to lose weight. I had already started on my cosplays. Almost 15 pounds lighter, the pants I made were slipping off and the top was so loose! My advice would be to work on anything that you can that won't be affected by weight asap (I'm a super procrastinator, so the earlier I start, the better) such as props, headgear, what have you. And then 3 months out, start working on the things that WILL be affected by weight, like pants, and make them just a little bit too small. If you can't fit in them at your current weight, that would be motivation to keep your weight loss on track, and they should fit nicely by the time ACen rolls around!

Nando   

Yeah, if you plan on losing weight, wait a bit longer for the parts of your cosplay that might be the most affected by that change. Last year with ACen 3 months away, I decided to lose weight. I had already started on my cosplays. Almost 15 pounds lighter, the pants I made were slipping off and the top was so loose! My advice would be to work on anything that you can that won't be affected by weight asap (I'm a super procrastinator, so the earlier I start, the better) such as props, headgear, what have you. And then 3 months out, start working on the things that WILL be affected by weight, like pants, and make them just a little bit too small. If you can't fit in them at your current weight, that would be motivation to keep your weight loss on track, and they should fit nicely by the time ACen rolls around!

Ah, I didn't think about using smaller clothes as a motivator. That's a good idea. Thanks :)

definitely do props, head pieces, shoes, jewelry, wig styling, etc. as soon as you can start. The main parts i'd say about 3 months before as well. it wouldn't hurt to have some things started before then if you know you can alter it easily. Another idea is you can always make the outfit with something cheap like a sheet or muslin first (as early as youd like) just to test it out so when it comes time to get the actual one done you know where to put seams and could even use the test as a pattern! You could even make it slightly adjustable too (if the outfit allows) One of mine has a corset with a hook and eye backing so it can adjust a bit, and my skirts are easy enough to pinch in :) I've already started on mine, but im also planning on continuing weight loss so I plan to keep with making what I can adjustable :)

Congrats on the weight loss too btw! You are doing great!!

Nando   

definitely do props, head pieces, shoes, jewelry, wig styling, etc. as soon as you can start. The main parts i'd say about 3 months before as well. it wouldn't hurt to have some things started before then if you know you can alter it easily. Another idea is you can always make the outfit with something cheap like a sheet or muslin first (as early as youd like) just to test it out so when it comes time to get the actual one done you know where to put seams and could even use the test as a pattern! You could even make it slightly adjustable too (if the outfit allows) One of mine has a corset with a hook and eye backing so it can adjust a bit, and my skirts are easy enough to pinch in :)/> I've already started on mine, but im also planning on continuing weight loss so I plan to keep with making what I can adjustable :)/>

Congrats on the weight loss too btw! You are doing great!!

Thanks a lot! I haven't checked the forums in a bit, so sorry for the late response. Seems like it's probably slow on here until ACen comes around. D: