Anime Central Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Neswest

Hello

Guest Neswest*   
Guest Neswest

This is my first time on the forums however i'll be attending the convention next month for the second time. Last year the convention was really enjoyable, me and my three friends really enjoyed it; so here we are again.

I decided to make a post to the form because we didn't really associate with anyone while at the con And I feel that this took away from the experience. I thought it might be a good idea to break the ice here and maybe some of you might have some tips for making new friends there.

I learned about the convention by just searching on the internet to see if there was any close by this one was the biggest and seemed fun. I live in the champaign area so its pretty good drive.

I'm embarrassed to say i'm currently reading Dragon Ball for the first time and just finished Akumetsu. And I like so many Anime and Manga that its hard to pick favorites. I play games just as much as I read Manga and watch Anime if not more, and just got done getting to G3 in MH4U not to mention I'm an avid Smash player

Edited by Neswest

A couple of way to chat with others:

1. Browse artist alley and compliment them on their work. Not just "Wow, that looks really good." Something like "Wow, character X looks awesome there! What did you think when they did ___ in the series?" So long as they aren't busy helping other costumers, artists generally like to chat about series they like. And if they drew/painted/buttoned/whatever'ed something from a series, there's a good chance they like that series.

2. If you're doing ACen right, you're spending a lot of time in lines. The people in front of you? The people behind you? They're going to be there for a while. Strike up a conversation! Ask them about their cosplay if they're wearing one. If they're on a 3DS ask them what game they're playing. Are they talking about a series you know about? Put yourself into their conversation! Lines get really boring really fast if you're just standing/sitting there without talking.

3. Stop cosplayers for photos. In general, cosplayers love their pictures being taken. After you snap their photo, you can comment on their cosplay or start a conversation about the series. So long as they aren't in a rush to get somewhere, they probably won't mind chatting with you. If you're interested in cosplaying, you can ask them how they made a piece of their cosplay, they generally love sharing what they've learned and giving others tips on what to do.

4. Find a group relaxing and ask if you can join. I've joined complete strangers in coloring, playing cards against humanity, or just sitting in circle and chatting. I've literally used lines like "I'm alone right now, you guys mind if I sit with you?" and people usually don't care. It's a hit and miss if they're a fun group though. Sometimes they'll just be on their phones, but other times they'll be having fun conversations.

Hope that's good enough to get your started :) It might be scary for you to talk to new people, but just remember that we're all nerds who enjoy the same stuff out to have a good time! I'm actually a pretty shy person normally who doesn't like talking to new people, but an anime conventions it's like I'm a whole different person and can make friends with anyone because I know we have stuff in common just based on the fact that we're at the convention.

Guest Neswest*   
Guest Neswest

3. Stop cosplayers for photos. In general, cosplayers love their pictures being taken. After you snap their photo, you can comment on their cosplay or start a conversation about the series. So long as they aren't in a rush to get somewhere, they probably won't mind chatting with you. If you're interested in cosplaying, you can ask them how they made a piece of their cosplay, they generally love sharing what they've learned and giving others tips on what to do.

All the cosplayers really looked like they're having fun, I really like this advice. I really enjoyed looking at a lot of the costumes and wished I knew good ways to start chats with some of the people and get pictures of them. And thanks for all the advice I thought it was really helpful.