Anime Central Forums
Sign in to follow this  
woozle

how to make a sickle?

woozle   

Trying to make a short sickle like mitsuko uses in battle royale (trying to do a cosplay of her). I can get the wood for the handle, but what material could I use for the blade that would be acceptable for ACen so I could carry it with me?

Twifairy   

Trying to make a short sickle like mitsuko uses in battle royale (trying to do a cosplay of her). I can get the wood for the handle, but what material could I use for the blade that would be acceptable for ACen so I could carry it with me?

Either check this forum for help or use a sword tutorial, just modify the blades shape

As for materials, I believe anything that isn't real metal is acceptable. Check the rules either on ACen's home page or on the forums, there's a thread somewhere asking about props.

C2Queen   

Id suggest making it out of some sort of foam. Personally I would google some foam weapon tutorials and use them as a base for your project. Foam is safe, simple, and depending on what type of foam you use it can look nice and sophisticated. There's a lot of different types of foam out there. You can also reinforce the foam with plastic. It might not be bad to actually look at scythe tutorials and take them as a base for the head of your prop. You can also buy a foam scythe prop of some sort too and modify it to use with your weapon.

Steel and metal of any type are not allowed. Only if you are purchasing swords from the dealers room but they must remain boxed or sheathed. Anything that has dangerous spikes or sharp edges that can hurt someone is also not allowed. Foam is really the best bet for being safe. Wooden weapons are allowed but as long as they follow the prop rules, are sanded down and like mentioned before don't have any sharp edges/aren't dangerous. If you have safety questions concerning a prop weapon I'd talk to a member of Anime Centrals Incident Response Team (a.k.a. IRT) they are listed on the forums as such, and also familiarize yourself with the costume + prop rules on the ACen website. It's a good base on deeming what is convention safe and won't get you into trouble.