Anime Central Forums
shizuka-kun

Photobombing

When it comes to conventions, many people want to take pictures of the cosplays that they really find cool and interesting. Yet, right before the picture is taken, some other person could either jump in front or do something behind the cosplayer to mess it up. What are your opinions on photobombing?

If someone is photobombing intentionally, they likely think they're hilarious. But for the person taking the picture, it's all a matter of perspective. They might also find it funny, or they could notice later and be extremely upset you ruined their picture. I'd personally just say not to do it.

The only exception I could think of is in-character photobombing. Like, as a very basic example, if someone was taking a picture of Light from Death Note and an L happened to be nearby and creeped into the background. THAT'D be funny and make for a good photo. But photobombing on purpose is in general a no-no.

^Agreed

I generally consider it to be extremely rude. The only time I thought someone photobombing was amusing was this one instance where a Dead Pool cosplayer ran in front of a shoot I was in. The only time I would do it is if someone was foolish enough to try to take a photo in a cramped hallway. People who lack sense to find better places for their picture taking shouldn't be upset when people who need to get by decide to push on through.

Twifairy   

When it comes to conventions, many people want to take pictures of the cosplays that they really find cool and interesting. Yet, right before the picture is taken, some other person could either jump in front or do something behind the cosplayer to mess it up. What are your opinions on photobombing?

I think it really depends. Usually it's rude because people want to take their picture and usually get somewhere, and that usually prevents them from doing so. Sometimes people who are clearly not rushed get photo bombed by someone of their fandom and they're very nice about it though. I'd just say don't do it because you could be rude

Oh, and my photobomb context was like someone jumping up in the background, intentionally, not completely blocking he shot and its quality

For those people you described, it would be reasonable for them to get upset over receiving something that was unexpected and unwelcome. If given a second opportunity to take a photo, then I suppose all would be better than well. They would have both the pic they wanted in the first place, AND an added humorous experience of their respective Con.

Funny how one thing, or lack there of, can have an opposite end result.

davebb   

Saw this thread and have to apologize to anyone that I unintentionally photobombed (in any years) when responding to medical calls. I make it my best effort to avoid being in the photo, but when I am responding to a call, in particular unresponsive patients, I take the shortest path possible. Usually in this case, I am at a power walk speed to a run. :)

Marlune   

From my perspective, I wouldn't mind most photobombs because I think they're fun. Like if I found a picture of me and saw someone making a goofy face/pose in the background, I'd think more often than not it's pretty hilarious. Though if I was ever in a situation where I or the person taking the picture wanted a more professional/clean shot, then I would say there's no excuse for someone not part of the shot being in the picture. Or at the very least, they could photobomb tastefully by letting someone take a picture of just the cosplayer(s) they want in the shot, and then the photobomber could bomb after a good picture(s) has been taken if they get the 'okay'

And yeah, in cases like staff, security, or anyone in an emergency situation running around to get to someplace they need to, I can understand that entirely. I think most cosplayers and photographers will understand as well and just take another picture if it happens.