Anime Central Forums
Shiggitay

The term "weeaboo"

Okay so I hope I'm not opening up a can of worms here, but I'm curious to know what you guys think of the term 'weeaboo'. I personally despise it, as it's a stereotype used WAAAAAAAAAAY too often, and usually used in a negative way, should there be any other way it's intended. I feel it's derogatory and inconsiderate and any other adjective can go here. I know this is a bad comparison but to me calling someone a weeaboo or weeb is like calling an African American the "N" word. At least that's how it feels for me. I'm not black at all, but I still find it unfair how they're treated when the N word is used against them.

This post is not meant to attract trolls etc.. I simply want to have a discussion. If it gets out of hand I'll close/delete the thread without warning (if I can even do that).

Anyway, thoughts?

Edited by Shiggitay

The majority of fans went through their weeaboos days. I sure as heck remember mine xD I feel it's more of a phase you go through than anything else. Most new anime fans under the age of 18 who are introduced to anime by whatever is currently on tv are likely to be weeaboos. They eventually grow out of it and become normal anime fans, crazed otaku, or just fall out of the fad altogether.

I agree though that when it's used by someone not into anime/manga at all, it's generally an insult. But one that you should just let roll off your shoulder.

My friend actually wrote a college essay on weeaboos xD I put it on google drive, so if anyone is interested in reading a slightly more critical view of what a weeaboo is, feel free xD Weeaboo Paper (Note though, that is paper is about the most extreme weeaboo, and I don't necessarily agree with all of it, so don't hurt me lol)

Edited by Washu Takahashi

Eh I wouldn't say I went through a "weeaboo stage"... When I first started watching anime seriously sure I was super into it, but I never really fit the "proper weeaboo definition". I really don't like the term....

Washu, Ahahaha that's funny that your friend wrote a college essay on extreme anime fans aka "weeaboos". Too funny.

I think, maybe, the fact that you can actually type the word weeaboo and not the other word should have you rethinking just how harmful the word weeaboo is in comparison...as in, it's not.

So yes, 10/10 bad comparison (like you said) but I want to reinforce that so you don't repeat it out loud or even type it again

Edited by bonedaddyds

I think, maybe, the fact that you can actually type the word weeaboo and not the other word should have you rethinking just how harmful the word weeaboo is in comparison...as in, it's not.

So yes, 10/10 bad comparison (like you said) but I want to reinforce that so you don't repeat it out loud or even type it again

Haha I can totally spell the N word.. The purpose of my comparison, though not quite a good one, was to say that they're both stereotypes and both bad.

African American

Stop that.

When it comes to hateful terms, I like to use them even amongst friends. Everything flies in our Skype calls and anyone who complains is part of the BBB (PM me for details!) If someone calls me a weeaboo I just call them a gaffot and laugh it off. Words only get to you if you let them.

Weeaboo is a negative word and rightly so.

Liking things from Japan, hell liking ONLY things from Japan is fine. You're an anime fan or Japanophile or whatever. That's fine, do your thing.

Liking things BECAUSE they are from Japan makes you a weeaboo. Pocky is just wafers with chocolate, Japanese music has just as many shitty bands as other countries, and their society has as many awful ugly people as everywhere else. Declaring everything Japanese better makes you a weeb and you deserved to be made fun.

A weeaboo is just mostly a person who is overly attached to Japanese culture and things of the like. Compared to a casual anime fan, they appear more addict-like and spend tons of money on random merchandise and pretend to know the language even though they don't. A reoccurring joke among my friends is that a casual fan could easily say that "anime is trash", unlike a weeaboo who thinks it's flawless and perfect. Either way, this is just my opinion on the matter.

Personally, I don't seem to like some of these new terms. I had never heard of "weeaboo" before, but the three that I have heard a LOT as of late are "bae," "thot," and "turnt." I don't like these terms. Let's start with "bae" and "turnt." They are supposed to be shortened and/or slang ways of saying "babe" and "turned." I can't stand these because there's nothing wrong with saying babe, baby, honey, or any of those words instead of "bae," and there's nothing wrong with saying turned. These shortened words just feel like the English language is being butchered.

As for the word "thot," it is supposed to be an acronym for "that ho over there." Okay, where to begin. First off, women are not hoes. Have some respect for the opposite gender, men. And you wonder why women can't stand guys like that? Secondly, even if you were to use it, just say the whole sentence. (Keeping it clean), just say "that girl over there." Saying "thot" makes you sound ridiculous.

Fantasia   

I think weeaboo is a more flexible term that doesn't just mean thinking you're Japanese.

In my eyes a weeaboo can be:

-someone who believes Japan is perfect/superior in every single way

-someone who is overly obsessed with anime/manga/japanese culture to the point that they're obnoxious

-someone who makes anime/manga their entire life (often the only thing that ever matters to them)

-someone who pushes their likes and tastes (japanese related of course) into your face and gets offended when you say they're wrong

-someone who literally thinks that they are an anime character

I think weeaboo falls under one or more of the categories listed above.

I think weeaboo is a more flexible term that doesn't just mean thinking you're Japanese.

In my eyes a weeaboo can be:

-someone who believes Japan is perfect/superior in every single way

-someone who is overly obsessed with anime/manga/japanese culture to the point that they're obnoxious

-someone who makes anime/manga their entire life (often the only thing that ever matters to them)

-someone who pushes their likes and tastes (japanese related of course) into your face and gets offended when you say they're wrong

-someone who literally thinks that they are an anime character

I think weeaboo falls under one or more of the categories listed above.

That's exactly how trolls use it, and it can get to the point of harassment, and that's why I don't like it.

Fantasia   

That's exactly how trolls use it, and it can get to the point of harassment, and that's why I don't like it.

So now I am troll for giving a more elaborate definition of weeaboo? Well, if the shoe fits...

Using a joke word to make fun of someone hardly qualifies as harassment.

EXACTLY. Besides, how is it harassment if I am just telling the truth? It ain't.

Weaboo is pretty tame.

I like using:

otakus

animutards

geeks

mouth-breathers

weaggaboos

nerds

dorks

f*cktards

f*cktardos

loners

mamas-boys

droids

furries

yiffers

sweaties

clammys

atrocities

molesters

fondlers

neck-beards

ect....

Twifairy   

Now I'm not Japanese, but I'm Korean, and talking to "Koreaboos" and their perceptions is... Kind of annoying and frankly, a bit offensive

It's great to love a country because of its culture and ithe stuff it makes, that's wonderful, but when you start stereotyping the whole country and fictionalizing its culture, it's just rude.

I once talked to a guy, along with another Korean friend, who said he planned on learning Korean and going to Korea because of what he saw in dramas. He wa 18, I believe, and we actually met him at an anime club, but after discovering we were Korean, he started treating us badly, and acting like we knew every single detail about the country, seemingly viewing it as so much better than America, simply because it was Korea. It made my friend super uncomfortable by the end of it and we were honestly considering leaving very quickly because of that, so please, don't do that to Japanse people. I was a weeaboo once as well, and now, putting it into perspective, I feel really bad about it.

Also, throwing random Japanese/Korean improperly into your English is also something that bothers me the same way...

Kyuu   

I'm happy to be well beyond the weaboo stages, to the point where I acknowledge the existence of "American anime". A huge majority of anime fans (weaboo or not) have yet to get this far.

During the "weaboo stage", it is tempting to view Japan and everything Japanese as the end-all be-all of all things. To wake up from a state, it doesn't require the converse. It simply requires waking up to reality and being open to multiple options. It's OK to like Japanese stuff; but there are plenty of other things out there.

SmilesI   

.... ^_^ -_- :huh: ... So yes Weeaboo is a derogatory term. Always has been a negative connotation to the word. I dont think I've ever heard it used with any sort of positive relevance to it. It is the "new term slang" version that Americans use for Otaku the way that the Japanese uses the word Otaku. Here it is more accepted to watch anime as an adult as so much of the content is geared towards an older crowd. Its a social barrier kind of thing. What an American thinks is for adults only seems to be vastly different to what the Japanese do. Except maybe as far as hentai, ecchi ,etc.

Weeaboo is being overly obsessed with everything Japanese. The "wannabe" Japanese crowd type word. The way it is weird for us to want to be anything that we already are racially. i haven't heard a specific term for people that wannabe white or wannabe black that aren't but i suppose someone will create something that will stick someday. Currently most people just call it being stupid. :blink: So when the term weeaboo is used it is definitely a derogatory term because it is pretty much just saying "you are stupid." Baka baka.

Weeaboo is a negative word and rightly so.

Liking things from Japan, hell liking ONLY things from Japan is fine. You're an anime fan or Japanophile or whatever. That's fine, do your thing.

Liking things BECAUSE they are from Japan makes you a weeaboo. Pocky is just wafers with chocolate, Japanese music has just as many shitty bands as other countries, and their society has as many awful ugly people as everywhere else. Declaring everything Japanese better makes you a weeb and you deserved to be made fun.

Most Japanese stuff are Made in China anyway.... attaching a Japanese-sounding name to an otherwise generic product increases its market value dramatically.

Edited by neutralist