Anime Central Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Anime/Manga Separated at Birth?

Matt   

Having recently watched the Trigun and Black Cat anime series for the first time (and having read all of Trigun and begun reading Black Cat), I've noticed that the storylines share striking similarities.

Legendary gunman feared by criminals and laypeople alike: Check

Has signature gun that can best other firearms: Check

Pines for dead female mentor, and consequently resolves never to kill another human being: Check

Is pursued by maniacal former co-hort, who has formed his own band of super-powered villains: Check

Granted, they're by two different authors, and their similarities are likely coincidence, but it got me to thinking of how other shows share similar ideas and/or characters. Anyone else know of any series "separated at birth"?

Twifairy   

Having recently watched the Trigun and Black Cat anime series for the first time (and having read all of Trigun and begun reading Black Cat), I've noticed that the storylines share striking similarities.

Legendary gunman feared by criminals and laypeople alike: Check

Has signature gun that can best other firearms: Check

Pines for dead female mentor, and consequently resolves never to kill another human being: Check

Is pursued by maniacal former co-hort, who has formed his own band of super-powered villains: Check

Granted, they're by two different authors, and their similarities are likely coincidence, but it got me to thinking of how other shows share similar ideas and/or characters. Anyone else know of any series "separated at birth"?

Not technically oth manga, and this similarity makes me very sad because of the mangaka being greaat, but millenium Snow by Bisco Hatori and the Twilight Saga, both a vampire and werewolf fighting over a girl.

But as for manga, parts of Sailor Moon and Tokyo Mew Mew, I mean both are magical girl anime, but still.

And parts of Madoka Magica and Kuroshitsuji, since both are loosely based off "Faust".

There has been multiple controversy on how One Piece and Fairy Tail are so similar.

Yes, the art style in the first few chapters looks a lot like Oda's and there's that whole Shanks/Gildarts look-a-like thing. I mean, the first 166 chapters are really the only ones that contain them.

This has nothing to do with the plot, but those two series seem to be fraternal twins.