Anime Central Forums
Sign in to follow this  
brasilianman

Apt vs Home cosplay building

Hello fellow cosplayers,

So this is a problem that several of us may face. Where and how to find space to build your cosplays. When I used to live in a home, I used to have the whole garage at my disposal. I had plenty of space to use paint, cut wood, use plaster of paris, and also use a heat gun to sculpt wonderflex. However, it became an issue on how big a cosplay (especially props) should be. I once did a mistake of not measuring my cosplay prop once. I used to drive a small Honda Civic and I did my old Renji in Bankai mode and my sword snake was 9+ feet in length. I had to fold the back seats and the mandatory Tetris theme played in my head. My suggestion is that when planning to go big, make sure you measure your dimensions first, plan to make your cosplays easy to come apart, like LEGOs, or if you have access to a van embrace it for that weekend without embarrassment.

Now fast forward to now and I live in an apartment. I had to scale down drastically on my cosplays builds. I'm unable to build my large props as I used to and I had to learn how to sew very quickly. Last year you all saw me as the small Kirby running around and that was one of my several upcoming results. It was easy to transport, fun to cosplay in, and the props are smaller in size. So my advice is that with the lack of space you may encounter, start to embrace your newly found sewing skills to make cosplays easier to transport. Also, make smaller props (smaller swords, weapons, armor, etc...) so it can fit in a trunk of a small car without folding the seats down, and the costs of building may also decrease for I now use acrylic paint instead of the spray paint from prior cosplays build. It's less to non toxic and easier to clean-up if its water based.

Feel free to share any other advice and/or stories.

Fantasia   

I have lived in apartments for most of my life. Even though I am a bit of a scavenger when it comes to materials, I try not to hoard too much. Recently my mom got me bins to put my cosplay and craft stuff in as well as art materials in this drawer case.

That's good. I have my closet stuffed with empty areas and drawers to place all of my cosplay items. I'm about to re-organize it due to my recent purchases for new materials and also to place my winter blankets away (too hot right now). That way I have more work space.