Anime Central Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HavocTenrec

What's the best way to make eyes see-through on a head made of cardboard

Ok, so I'm making a Sephiroth cosplay, and this is one of the biggest challenges I have right now... What's the best way to make the eyes look the way I want, but also make them something I can see out of? I'm guessing I can just make the pupil a plain hole... but what can I do to keep the eyes a nice turquoise and white? Any help on this would be extremely appreciated!

Bigger version - http://i.imgur.com/YgXn5rr.jpg

dIenV8J.jpg

Edited by HavocTenrec

Styria   

Ok, so I'm making a Sephiroth cosplay, and this is one of the biggest challenges I have right now... What's the best way to make the eyes look the way I want, but also make them something I can see out of? I'm guessing I can just make the pupil a plain hole... but what can I do to keep the eyes a nice turquoise and white? Any help on this would be extremely appreciated!

Bigger version - http://i.imgur.com/YgXn5rr.jpg

dIenV8J.jpg

Wow...this is very cool. Might I ask what you did to get the eyes screen printed onto the fabric?

How about cutting out the pupil (just the black part) while leaving the iris in tact?

S1NN3R   

I suggest cutting the eyes out all together and replaci them with a lightweight screen mesh. Paint the mesh as needed. It will give you the best vision without affecting look

Wow...this is very cool. Might I ask what you did to get the eyes screen printed onto the fabric? How about cutting out the pupil (just the black part) while leaving the iris in tact?

Actually I just printed it from a computer and lightly taped it on for now to get an idea of how I want it to look. I was thinking of cutting out the iris, but I don't think that's enough vision for me.

I suggest cutting the eyes out all together and replaci them with a lightweight screen mesh. Paint the mesh as needed. It will give you the best vision without affecting look

Wouldn't the grid show through? What about Vinyl? Do you think one-way Vinyl Film would be a good way to go?

Tokoz   

What's the best way to make the eyes look the way I want, but also make them something I can see out of?

A loose-weave fabric called scrim is a common way to make mascot eyes. You can see the weave, and it does restrict vision, but it's paintable and doesn't look that bad in most cases. The window screening is also a good suggestion. If you don't want the texture, though, here's a link to instructions on how to make ones using hollow acrylic balls http://www.instructables.com/id/Animal-Eyes-easy-quick-and-cheap I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen good-looking mascot costumes using this method.

A loose-weave fabric called scrim is a common way to make mascot eyes. You can see the weave, and it does restrict vision, but it's paintable and doesn't look that bad in most cases. The window screening is also a good suggestion. If you don't want the texture, though, here's a link to instructions on how to make ones using hollow acrylic balls http://www.instructables.com/id/Animal-Eyes-easy-quick-and-cheap I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen good-looking mascot costumes using this method.

Well those look more like they're made for rounded realistic eyes, mine's more cartoony.

Ok I think I figured that point out, there's a fabric I can slightly see through so I just got that.

But there's a new problem... What would be the best way to get fabric to stick on cardboard? We tried a glue spray, but all the bumps in the cardboard showed through the fabric.

X7Zmekc.jpg

vRCelSI.jpg

Edited by HavocTenrec

Tokoz   

But there's a new problem... What would be the best way to get fabric to stick on cardboard? We tried a glue spray, but all the bumps in the cardboard showed through the fabric.

layer of batting (hide the bumps), layer of pantyhose (smooth & compress), then fabric?

funfoam, then fabric?

sanding?