Anime Central Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Spellmaster

Best sort of papier-mâché

I'm curious as to what sort of papier-mâché product would be best for making ears. The main idea I have is creating a hollow outer body and then filling it with foam or Styrofoam. I was looking to get it at Michaels crafts, does anyone know of a good brand? or if not there then where would be a good place to purchase the items?

For the record the ears are mew two style, I have a base that I made, I just need the right sort of mixture to make it hard enough that it won't easily fall apart when painted.

Thanks

DSM

Rori   

I've always used Elmer's Art Paste for any kind of paper mache. You can get it on the Blick website or if you have a manpart Blick store near you, they should have it. You don't need much of the powder to make the paste, so one box would last a long time.

I'm not sure how well paper mache would work for making something hollow, I've never tried. I usually form it around foam or wadded up newsprint.

Tokoz   

For smooth ears like Mew, i'd just use the regular old torn-paper-dipped-in-glue method of paper mache. The cellulose mixtures they sell at craft stores will dry with a texture you would need to sand down before you could seal and paint it.

For a strip mache, I like regular pva, or white glue. Since I use so much, I just buy the gallon jugs of Elmer's Glue-All, but any white glue is fine. Other people have used wallpaper paste, all-purpose baking flour, or even things like rice and wheat starch. You can mix and match adhesives and it won't much matter. Whatever you use, cut it with water until it's around the consistency of whole milk or heavy cream (your preference), and remember to squeegee the excess off each strip so you don't drown your piece.

To make strip mache strong and sandable, really all you need is layers -- and patience. I usually recommend 8 to 10 layers at a MINIMUM for pieces that need to be (lightly) sanded smooth, 4-6 if you're super pressed for time and don't mind the slight paper-strip outlines. For my pieces, I do 15 to 20 layers most of the time, and those suckers are STRONG. At that point, I'm basically making my own cardboard. :) The trick to doing that many layers is to only do a couple layers at a time, and let the piece dry COMPLETELY between each session.

That said, if you want to go with the cellulose mixtures, Cellu-clay is a good brand. I would also pick up a package of Paperclay (or La Doll or Premier), which is a lightweight, sandable, air-dry clay that I often use to fill in the parts of a mache-clay piece that are too deep to sand out effectively.

Either way, you'll want to make sure you seal EVERY SINGLE SURFACE on your piece with a good sealant. Top, bottom, edges, inside, outside, everywhere. I like mod-podge or more glue. Once sealed, you'll want to prime the parts you intend to paint, either with another layer of sealant, lightly sanded, or something along the lines of artist's gesso. This gives you an even playing field if you've used multiple clays, and hides any print or text on strips.

I need the smooth method, so Elmer's glue it is. I haven't made the mixture in a long while, any recommendations for recipes? I know I'll have to get glue at the store, other then a gallon how much glue should I use? I'm making two things in total. A bottom half of a mask that's in the shape of a bird, and the ears. I don't want to have too much glue. Suggestions?

Tokoz   

I need the smooth method, so Elmer's glue it is. I haven't made the mixture in a long while, any recommendations for recipes? I know I'll have to get glue at the store, other then a gallon how much glue should I use? I'm making two things in total. A bottom half of a mask that's in the shape of a bird, and the ears. I don't want to have too much glue. Suggestions?

It's a lot of personal preference and experimentation to see what works best for you, however, I'd start with maybe 2 or 2.5 parts glue to 1 part water. You're looking for a slightly thickened liquid consistency, like whipping cream or whole milk. Just make up what you can use in a day or two, then if you run out you can make more.

The has to be youtube vid out there somewhere that shows how to do paper mache. I'll look for one after I'm off work... :3