Anime Central Forums
Sign in to follow this  
aerllyhong

Do you like cooking?

I like getting to cook up fun things when I get the chance. Generally, I just make something simple for myself for my day to day meals, but when the occasion calls for it, I love to cook up something fun and interesting. I also love baking sweets. :3

-JUNK-   

Yes because I rather cook and know what Im doing than someone that I dont know giving me food poisoning

Yesh :3 I'm better at baking than I am cooking though. Baking is more exact like science so its easier for me to understand. XD My favorite thing to cook is gnocchi! :3 it's fun and actually pretty simple :D

yeah, even though i can only cook a few things, i try to perfect cooking them - and i'm always up for learning to cook more dishes.

cooking is one of those activities that i just find really relaxing, except when i'm starving...then, it's just really stressful.

Jello   

I am RIBS master :-D Theyre so delicious! I am better at baking then I am cooking, but I do enjoy cooking quite a bit

Fun idea: for those local to the area, have a cooking party at some point before the next ACen. Could turn out quite interesting with everyone capable of cooking different things. Wish I lived in the area, so I could participate, but hey, not stopping me from throwing the idea out there. :3

I didn't cook before I worked. I always thought cooking was complex and boring. You spend lots of time cooking, then you eat it up soon, after that you have to spend lots of time washing dishes. Oh, I'm a Chinese, Chinese cooking is really complex I guess. But sometimes I enjoy cooking as it feels like learning. I feel happy when I learn a new recipe.

I'm decent with cooking. Baking, not so much. Baked goods hate me for some reason. I'm good with rice and chicken dishes. Meatloaf is also a good one for me as long as I don't have to serve picky eaters with it lol. I mix in veggies with it :).

DarkMimi   

I love cooking, as long as I have the right stuff to cook with. Which means a decent stove, utensils, pots/pans, and ingredients. I tend to make meals that are balanced out and healthy if I can manage it.

Baking too, to a lesser extent. My 'claim to fame' happens to be these delicious s'mores cookies I made on occasion for parties and celebrations.

Edited by DarkMimi

Ashori   

I prefer baking over cooking, but I do like it. :)

Especially now since my boyfriend loves everything and anything I make. I used to have my cooking put down often by my family when I was living at home, but I still felt confident that my food was fine and that they were just overly picky. :P

Lately I've been trying my hand at making chicken fried rice. Doesn't always work out great though. I'm too impatient to let the rice cook fully, for one thing. XD

2:1 water to rice ratio. Let it cook in the 350 degree oven, covered in foil, for about 35 minutes or al dente. For authentic flavor, let the rice sit in a container for a day. In a heated wok, add these ingredients in this order:

A decent amount of veggie oil and sesame oil (enough of the former to cover the bottom of the pan)

2-4 fl. oz liquid eggs (scramble them)

Your choice of blanched and shocked veggies

Cooked, cut chicken

Pre-cooked rice

Finish it with a splash of soy sauce, sriracha, bias cut scallions, and black sesame seeds.

At least this is how we do it at my hotel. If any of this is fancy foreign made up words, I can simplify this. But trust me on this;

I'm a professional.

Raenef   

I would actually love cooking...

If cooking didn't hate me. (Yeah, I'm one of those people that can set fire to an omlet, and not by using a gas stove.)

JujuFox   

My husband is a way better cook than I am, and I'm a better baker. However, we both will do either! I love making my own food.

We make so much from scratch, and although it's a lot of work it's totally worth it! Our favorite dishes to make are green curry, tikka masala, Thai pineapple coconut curry. I just realized we make a lot of different kinds of curry... We do other things too, but they don't have names.

2:1 water to rice ratio. Let it cook in the 350 degree oven, covered in foil, for about 35 minutes or al dente. For authentic flavor, let the rice sit in a container for a day. In a heated wok, add these ingredients in this order:

A decent amount of veggie oil and sesame oil (enough of the former to cover the bottom of the pan)

2-4 fl. oz liquid eggs (scramble them)

Your choice of blanched and shocked veggies

Cooked, cut chicken

Pre-cooked rice

Finish it with a splash of soy sauce, sriracha, bias cut scallions, and black sesame seeds.

At least this is how we do it at my hotel. If any of this is fancy foreign made up words, I can simplify this. But trust me on this;

I'm a professional.

This is pretty much how I make fried rice too! :)

Proper rice ratio is 2:1 (water:rice), and every one cup of uncooked rice equals about two cups of cooked rice. Pro Tip: Rinse the rice off until the water is clear. It removes starches and talc that can make your rice gloopy. I use the stove top in a non-stick sauce pan with a glass lid. I put water, rice, and a dash of salt in the pot, bring it up to a boil, and immediately reduce to low and cover with the lid. Then wait about 20 mins or until there is no water in the bottom of the pot. Once it gets close I sneak in a fork to test the doneness. No one wants overcooked rice. :P

I use day old rice, usually left overs from making it for something else the night before.

For the right flavor you must use sesame oil(and it's totally okay to cut it with canola). I cook up scrambly eggs first and set them aside. Sometimes I'll put some curry powder it the eggs to give them that delicious curry flavor. Then I start cooking roughly chopped mushrooms in hot sesame oil, add the rice once the mush is looking good, add the soy sauce, cook for a bit, add shrimps(thawed) and green onion last since they don't take long to cook up. Then I dump the eggs back in to mix it all together. It all goes into a bowl that I top with Sriracha and roasted sesame seeds.

Invest in a wok if you want to make this a lot! I use a non-stick flat bottomed wok made by Calphanlon. It'll make it way easier to manage(no spills on the stove when I use it thanks to the tall sides).

Ryu-Chan   

Cooking is an art, Baking is a science. Typically I prefer science to art anyday... but cooking I am fantastic at. Baking not so much. But my chilli has won awards!