Anime Central Forums
rondo

Pacific Rim

rondo   

Essentially a love letter to robot lovin' fans, especially those with a Japanese flair, Pacific Rim comes out this Friday (July 12th, 2013).

So, you watchin'?

Also, you watched it? How was it? (be mindful of spoilers).

JujuFox   

I'm not going to see this because of the first trailer I saw. It was an inappropriate use of a character I dearly love. I don't care if GLaDOS isn't actually in the real film. You can't do that.

Also, screw giant robots. I'd rather have smaller sentient robots. I love AI characters like Chi, Data, Wheatley, and of course GLaDOS. I'll take more of that please.

Boy do I sound like a grump... well it's not my kind of movie, but I'm sure other people will thoroughly enough this!

If you like mecha anime or old-time kaiju movies, this quite possibly will give you a nerdgasm.

The Eva influences are all over the place, up to and including the launch sequence (reversed somewhat, but still there), and I'm fairly certain I caught either a Nadesico ref or a Mazinger one.

They will happily take my money when it comes out on DVD, but it's worth seeing in the theaters.

Ben Da Mad Irishman

"Unlike Lone Ranger"

I am reallllly, realllly excited for this! I have a large love of Mechas, NGE being my hands down favorite anime ever.

And I can't personally wait to compare and contrast it to Eva. Since even Del Toro admitted to being apparently inspired by it. Ahhh gosh I just can't wait! I am seeing it in a few hours! > w <

I saw this yesterday (didn't know at the time that it was a special showing - too many summer blockbusters to keep track of) and I have to admit it was really fun. I thought it moved a bit faster than necessary and sometimes exposition was in the wrong places (as in...right before it became relevant) and the characters needed more development...but..the fighting was awesome and the effects were fun and the movie was a great way to watch giant things beat each other up.

Also....Ron Pearlman. ^_^

Voxx   

So super giddy when I saw this! The monsters reminded me of the Gyaos from Gamera. Then I got more giddy seeing Charlie Day and Ron Pearlman. ♥

Excellent movie, only a few nitpicks for me. Helped me mostly get out of my Man of Steel funk. I would say I did wish we had more time with the other pilots, also there were moments where I felt they should have changed things and it might have played out better.

I hope they recoop their money on this.

I think they've just about broken even on the international market. The movie hasn't even opened in Japan yet. That's the country I'm most excited to see the reception for.

Saw the movie, loved it, cannot wait for the Figma line~

I found myself nitpicking over some things, which I'll throw into the spoilerbox just so I can get it out of my system...

Why does every fight happen in the rain/water, thereby keeping me from seeing the Kaiju fully? Exactly how long does a plasma cannon need to charge? If the pilots are mind melded, why is the sword played as a surprise to one of them? And why wasn't their more Jaeger on Kaiju action? Could have extended the movie, but surely there was stuff to cut, and yet again there's the Graphic Novel to expand the world as well, so...*sigh*

But overall I enjoyed the movie. It's good to see some backing for the giant monster/mech genre on a scale like this, and it should pave the way for more of it in the future. Regardless of its reception, that's a good thing for all in my book.

I love the old Godzilla movies and this was alot like those with better effects. Who cares if the story is shallow and the characters are stereotypes, thats what makes it a popcorn flick. Saw it 3 times in the theater!

youth   

Just noticed that the new Godzilla movie is suppose to be released May 16 which just happens to be the start of ACen 2014. Seems like a good opportunity for some sort of tie-in with the con.

Just noticed that the new Godzilla movie is suppose to be released May 16 which just happens to be the start of ACen 2014. Seems like a good opportunity for some sort of tie-in with the con.

I recall there being something akin to this at a prior ACen when an apocalypse was about to happen, so I don't doubt the possibility. Given most kaiju are attracted to loud gatherings of people, having emergency plans for rampaging monsters would be much appreciated. ;)

So...how many awards/recognitions has Pacific Rim gotten thus far? But not an Oscar? Transformers got in there...what the heck? :(

Twifairy   

I want to see it because Ellen McLain is in it, and it reminds me of Corruption Garden

(Psst, sorry to do so, but if you could possibly look at my recommendation of Ellen McLain to Anime Central? Thanks)

On the mind of Kaiju related topics, I assume a lot of us here are going to see Godzilla as well? Shall we start a discussion on said film in another topic? :P