Anime Central Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CrimsonAnime

Make your own temporary tattoo!

Hello all!

This year I will be cosplaying as Pocahontas and while much of this was fairly easy to design and make, I found myself running into issue with the marking on her arm.

I had used body paint before, but it never dried and got all over a friend's white jacket. I felt really bad and was also disappointed that it never dried. I had expected it to dry so solid it cracked.

I also contemplated using makeup but I am right handed and the tattoo goes on my right arm. Would have been too hard to draw. I realized a tattoo would be perfect. But Henna is expensive and time consuming. I WANTED a temporary tattoo.

So I searched the interwebs and found this: http://www.wikihow.com/Create-Your-Own-Temporary-Tattoo

AND IT WORKS! With nothing more than what you might already have lying around your house!

So I had to share it!

So far I have tried it a couple times.

Results:

Immediately after drawing - transfer is easy and bright.

12 hours after drawing - still a bright transfer

Washing - a little bit of scrubbing with water and the mark comes right off (after immediate application)

It also does not rub off with general touching which is great for cons!

Gwydion   

This is actually really neat! Might have to try this in the future - anything to help save time the morning of a con (I take forever to paint tattoos because I'm a perfectionist with shaky hands :P).

How exactly do I do this seems impossible?

that's what I thought too - but it's very simple.

Take some regular ole paper. Draw your design using pencil first (to make sure it looks right)

then color the crap out of it with the gel pen. When I did it, i was just short of ripping the paper, that's how much ink I used.

Then just put the paper over your skin, design face down. If it's hard for it to stay you can either dampen the clean edges of the paper to make them fold and stick to your skin or do like I did and use regular office tape to adhere to your skin. Then, heavily dampen a cloth or sponge (THAT YOU DON'T MIND GETTING DIRTY/STAINED) and completely cover the paper on your skin. Wait about 30 seconds.

Be careful not to move the sponge around as the paper when wet, can tear and make the design crooked or messed up in other ways.

It works VERY well.

I had drawn the design about 2 days before applying and only did a quick run over once with the pen on the day of.

Here is a shot of me with it day 1:

2zfvnyd.jpg

And Day 2 (and after a light shower and the application of baby oil):

24c83tt.jpg

Edited by CrimsonAnime

I'm so glad I found this! I need this for one of my cosplays :)

I'm also told that putting hairspray over temporary tattoos or when you draw on your skin makes it last longer. I don't know if that's true but I'll be finding out soon.

Iris   

I used tattoo paper in the past for this kind of thing, but I just wanted to pass along that Liquid Band-aid is another good source for covering the 'tattoo' and helping it both last a little longer AND not accidentally spread onto chairs/fabrics/whatever.

Iris   

I got mine on Amazon. You print it out on the computer basically. Kind of expensive but way easier then actually trying to draw out Rainbow Dash's cutie mark on my upper thigh. XD I used it two different times and it was pretty nice. Think I still have another sheet around incase I want to do RD again.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043WJ3OA/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Twifairy   

This helped so much for my cosplay next year, I need a tattoo on my back but uh, kinda don't want to get someone to draw it wrong with liquid eyeliner.

Glad it helped!

I'll be using this method again for next year as well. I also need a back tattoo but I think I may still need someone to help me apply it so it's straight. Lol.

I'll be wearing a costume for the first time this year: Trafalgar Law from One Piece. In order to improve it, I'll plan to print out images of the character's tattoo designs, darken them with a gel pen, and follow the instructions.