Anime Central Forums
DarkMoonHuntress

First time crossplaying!

Hey, this year I am thinking about crossplaying, I've never done it before [i'm not even sure it's right to call it crossplaying, i'm a guy going as kuranosuke from princess jellyfish]. Any tips/advice? I feel confident with the makeup and outfit, but am no way passable with my voice. Will that offend anyone, or make me look stupid [i'm wondering if anyone would even care bc he's a guy anyways]. I'm just really nervous about making a fool outta myself lol.

Hey, this year I am thinking about crossplaying, I've never done it before [i'm not even sure it's right to call it crossplaying, i'm a guy going as kuranosuke from princess jellyfish]. Any tips/advice? I feel confident with the makeup and outfit, but am no way passable with my voice. Will that offend anyone, or make me look stupid [i'm wondering if anyone would even care bc he's a guy anyways]. I'm just really nervous about making a fool outta myself lol.

As a guy who cosplays, crossplays, and crossdresses the best advice I can give is "Have fun!!!" Trust me when I say I have made people laugh, made them smile, and even had them cheer me on for dawning heels and halter tops. Speaking from experience here, if anyone gives you crap for doing this and you enjoy doing it, simple wave your hair back and smirk. "You're just mad cause I make this look good."

Simple put we are going to offend someone but who cares! I know it is weird when you don't have breast and it is hard to hide facial hair but you just have to have fun. I look back at some of outfits and makeup designs and shake my head wonder what I was thinking, but you know what I had fun. I'm sorry but hearing your five inch flatform heels click across the pavement while your gothic-red petite-coat gown sways is just amazing. You don't care how you look you are on cloud nine!

Have fun Huntress!!!

If have friend who are crossplaying get together take pictures, it is funny as hell to see how different you all look.

Edited by Delta's Back!

Guest AznAndy94*   
Guest AznAndy94

I went crossplaying as Mio from K-ON! last year and for the most part, people never really said anything to me that I was offensive or anything. I didn't really speak a whole lot because I'm shy, so I don't know about the voice thing (but someone did call me cute a few minutes after I arrived).

For the most part, crossplaying and cross dressing in general is more accepted than you think it is. Most people don't judge and since it's an anime convention, there's a lot more offensive people than a guy with a manly voice dressing up in a dress or skirt. Actually in my opinion, it's admirable. It takes guts to look pretty.

thanks for the replies :D and i appreciate the advice, seems like i might have just been getting too self-conscious due to seeing other crossplayers [or even cosplayers] get ripped into for not being up to certain people's "standard" [admittedly, just about anything addressed online is open to that sorta criticism lol].

if you don't mind answering, how much do you get into it when crossplaying [regarding things going beyond the actual costume, like makeup]. i have pics to show how my appearance is coming along, if anyone would be willing to share tips.

thanks for the replies :D/> and i appreciate the advice, seems like i might have just been getting too self-conscious due to seeing other crossplayers [or even cosplayers] get ripped into for not being up to certain people's "standard" [admittedly, just about anything addressed online is open to that sorta criticism lol].

if you don't mind answering, how much do you get into it when crossplaying [regarding things going beyond the actual costume, like makeup]. i have pics to show how my appearance is coming along, if anyone would be willing to share tips.

I do basic make-up, nothing fancy. Foundation, powder, etc, cover the flaws and enhance the eyes. Depending the outfit I will either do a colored eyeshadow or simple eyelid tint. I have never really mastered the art of make-up like a lot of people have, mainly because I am not made of money haha. I am an amateur at best but I try and help.

As a crossplayer here are a few tips most have already said.

Learn to do basic make up from a friend, the photos turn out better. Make sure the make up matches your skin tone and costume. Make sure you shave, chest, armpits, face/neck and legs (though if yo have leggings or tall boots you can cheat here a bit). Practice a female voice if you want to use one.

Speaking from experience here, if anyone gives you crap for doing this and you enjoy doing it, simple wave your hair back and smirk. "You're just mad cause I make this look good." I stole this from above, but honestly 100% this. If people give me a hard time I mess with them by giving them a response they won't expect. But having fun is the main key. :)

As a crossplayer here are a few tips most have already said.

Learn to do basic make up from a friend, the photos turn out better. Make sure the make up matches your skin tone and costume. Make sure you shave, chest, armpits, face/neck and legs (though if yo have leggings or tall boots you can cheat here a bit). Practice a female voice if you want to use one.

Speaking from experience here, if anyone gives you crap for doing this and you enjoy doing it, simple wave your hair back and smirk. "You're just mad cause I make this look good." I stole this from above, but honestly 100% this. If people give me a hard time I mess with them by giving them a response they won't expect. But having fun is the main key. :)/>

I'd like to have a female voice, but just haven't had the time to practice one, but judging from the awesome replies i got so far, i'm not gonna worry too much about it, there's always other cons.

Any tips on covering facial hair? I've been using the orange lipstick/concealer trick and it's alright, but not perfect [i have very thick, dark hair]. Are products like dermablend worth it? Or do you have anything else you could recommend?

I'd like to have a female voice, but just haven't had the time to practice one, but judging from the awesome replies i got so far, i'm not gonna worry too much about it, there's always other cons.

Any tips on covering facial hair? I've been using the orange lipstick/concealer trick and it's alright, but not perfect [i have very thick, dark hair]. Are products like dermablend worth it? Or do you have anything else you could recommend?

I have never used dermablend but I have heard crossdresser and transgenders swear by it, but since I don't do costuming on a heavy basis I find it really hard to spend the money for it. Really the best think I can say is a get a "REALLY" close shave. I use an electric razor and the before I put on make-up I do a really close shave when electric-shave. Depending on what your skin is like, I would avoid direct application of make-up after a shave because it may cause a ton of irritation and be very painful *speaking from personal experience*

Loose make-up such as moose and silky cream is good for covering up the pores. If it sticks to the face you risk showing possible stubs. A cover-stick is good thing to keep on hand.

From personal experience if you shave well before applying the make-up and give good foundation you will be good. No one will usually see unless they are looking you over but it really depends how much money you are will to put in.

Oh, washable glue sticks are amazing! Using a make-up spatula pick off a chuck and rub it over the hair and smooth over with the spatula. A few layers and you are set.

I have never used dermablend but I have heard crossdresser and transgenders swear by it, but since I don't do costuming on a heavy basis I find it really hard to spend the money for it. Really the best think I can say is a get a "REALLY" close shave. I use an electric razor and the before I put on make-up I do a really close shave when electric-shave. Depending on what your skin is like, I would avoid direct application of make-up after a shave because it may cause a ton of irritation and be very painful *speaking from personal experience*

Loose make-up such as moose and silky cream is good for covering up the pores. If it sticks to the face you risk showing possible stubs. A cover-stick is good thing to keep on hand.

From personal experience if you shave well before applying the make-up and give good foundation you will be good. No one will usually see unless they are looking you over but it really depends how much money you are will to put in.

Oh, washable glue sticks are amazing! Using a make-up spatula pick off a chuck and rub it over the hair and smooth over with the spatula. A few layers and you are set.

wow, never heard of the glue stick thing before, i'm def gonna try it beforehand to see how it works :D and yea, i have sensitive skin as it is, so i usually wait an hour after shaving anyways to apply any makeup. never used a cover stick before, so ill probably pick one up and try it too, thanks :)

Please tell me you are going to the Kuranosuke's Magical Make Over panel! ; w ;

I realllllly want to find you and take your picture already!

ah, i really wanted to, there was a trap panel last year from what i remember, so i planned on wearing the costume whatever day it was on this year... only to find out both the TRANSform panel and kuranosuke panel are on sunday, i'll be leaving early that day :(

wow, never heard of the glue stick thing before, i'm def gonna try it beforehand to see how it works :D/> and yea, i have sensitive skin as it is, so i usually wait an hour after shaving anyways to apply any makeup. never used a cover stick before, so ill probably pick one up and try it too, thanks :)/>

Yup. washable glue sticks the cheap and easy substitute for spirtgum and latex cover patches ^__^ Coverstick is the same concept, but glue keeps hair down, coverstick over the glue stick helps your makeup go over easier. If you have deep brown hair like a do it really hard to just cover up hair with a glue stick.

Yeah I am in the same boat, all of the transform panels are on Sunday and I have to leave that afternoon.

If you want really good make-up help look into the theater community around where you live or surf the web for theater make-up artist and crossovers. That is were I learned a lot of makeup tricks. Or the classical option is to have a girl pal show you the ropes. Still trying to figure out how they do eyeliner by themselves, pointed pencil that close to an eye is a "Hell No".

Yup. washable glue sticks the cheap and easy substitute for spirtgum and latex cover patches ^__^ Coverstick is the same concept, but glue keeps hair down, coverstick over the glue stick helps your makeup go over easier. If you have deep brown hair like a do it really hard to just cover up hair with a glue stick.

Yeah I am in the same boat, all of the transform panels are on Sunday and I have to leave that afternoon.

If you want really good make-up help look into the theater community around where you live or surf the web for theater make-up artist and crossovers. That is were I learned a lot of makeup tricks. Or the classical option is to have a girl pal show you the ropes. Still trying to figure out how they do eyeliner by themselves, pointed pencil that close to an eye is a "Hell No".

Nice, my gf used to work for a theatre so she might know someone. We went into a makeup store earlier today actually and the people there were really nice and had tons of advice, I was nervous at first but it ended up being very comfortable, they were used to cosplayers :D

Nice, my gf used to work for a theatre so she might know someone. We went into a makeup store earlier today actually and the people there were really nice and had tons of advice, I was nervous at first but it ended up being very comfortable, they were used to cosplayers :D/>

Oh god I know right, you walk in and feel like you stepped into a woman's only club but they are usually super nice and often times I find them very sweet to me. I go to Sephora looking for a new foundation and ladies were super nice and once explained my skin type they showed me a foundation that is so perfect is like silk on my skin when my old stuff was like a messy cream.

It is so weird still asking for help but I swear the workers love helping me choose make-up.

This is for everyone reading, if you have a Sephora Make-Up near you I suggest going to them. They have high class make-up for decent prices. I read about them through a forum and thought I would give them a try and it was a great experience.

SUCCESS!!! Thank you everyone that replied, was pretty much nervous the whole time preparing [hand shaking while trying to apply eyeliner hahaha] and even walked back almost immediately, but went through with it, and had so much fun :D got so many compliments and a few picture requests, even a hug XD I'll need some more practice til heels become exciting Delta [after about 3 hours I caved and went barefoot] but am eager to get there! Already planning out my crossplay for the next con! Wish even more I could be here Sunday for the Kuranosuke panel :[

Bump. Great to hear that it went so well for you, DarkMoonHuntress.

Now I've got another question. What does anyone think of MtF crossplayers who aren't doing makeup, not shaving their legs, not doing anything particularly feminine, and clearly not trying to "pass". The joke on Wikpedia's crossplay page is of some big fat dude not fitting into a Sailor Moon costume, but I know last year I went through lines with just regular dudes crossplaying in like a High School of the Dead skirt and didn't think anything of it.

No, actually, I thought it was pretty cool. Not ironic, not erotic, not really anything more than "hey, that's who he wants to be for ACen… that's cool"

Thoughts?

--invalidname

JujuFox   

The joke on Wikpedia's crossplay page is of some big fat dude not fitting into a Sailor Moon costume, but I know last year I went through lines with just regular dudes crossplaying in like a High School of the Dead skirt and didn't think anything of it.

You're referring to Sailor Bubba, a longtime ACen staple! I look forward to seeing him every year. I didn't start attending until 2004 or 5, so I'm not sure if it's still the same guy doing it, or if others just pay tribute. It just puts a smile on my face every time I see him.

You're referring to Sailor Bubba, a longtime ACen staple! I look forward to seeing him every year. I didn't start attending until 2004 or 5, so I'm not sure if it's still the same guy doing it, or if others just pay tribute. It just puts a smile on my face every time I see him.

I moved here from Atlanta, and back at AWA, we had a similar dude cosplaying as Utena for years. Yes, a guy dressing as a girl dressing as a guy.