Anime Central Forums
DJ Llij

Managing Long Wigs

DJ Llij   

This may be redundant but how do you guys manage to keep long hair from getting all wild and crazy at the con when the wind hits or just from normal walking in costume throughout the day. Last con I just kept a wig brush on me but there has to be a better way, some hair product or something. Thanks!

Agatha   

As a preventative, Motions Oil Sheen Spray does a decent job. You can find it in the hair care/ethnic hair care section of most stores in a big purple and yellow can. Spray on a REALLY REALLY light coat, use your fingers or a very wide comb to gently work it through your wig, and let it dry for several days. It won't stop tangles, especially on really long wigs, but it can help keep them from getting unmanageable. Plus, it smells like strawberry PEZ!

Otherwise, if you're going to be out and about, it helps to have a ribbon or something to tie back your wig. You can always untie it for photos, but for really long wigs just walking around in them can lead to tangles, and tying/braiding can help. If you remember, try finger-combing it whenever you've got a couple minutes. If you do that periodically throughout the day, you'll have less of a problem at the end.

Hope that helped!

DJ Llij   

Thank you, I will try this spray and I will keep the ribbon in mind. I have a habit of forgetting to do things before photos... like my IA, I had her thigh band raised up past my skirt and was planning on lowering it for photos since it kept sliding down my thigh.... but then forgot... : /

Rinzle   

Im finding L'Oreal no more tears detangler spray works the best. I ruined my first Sailor Moon wig by using some stuff that wasnt even meant for detangling it was just a conditioner which is all fine and well for shorter wigs but causes a mess in longer ones

I was wondering also how to keep static down since I am first time using a long wig?

Run a dryer sheet over it. The static is gone and it makes it smell nice too :) (this method works on real hair too! I always keep a sheet or two in my purse).