Anime Central Forums
MOMO2

Happiness cosplay help!

MOMO2   

I need a little help on Jun Watarase. I know his shirt is a brown pleated skirt boxed and he wears a pink blouse, but how do I make his collar? Any suggestions or anyone who has made this before? Thank you!!!!

I've been tempted to cosplay Jun before, but could never figure it out either. If I can get my sewing machine working, I'll probably try to make it while on vacation & let ya know what I can come up with.

Otherwise there's always the summer uniform or the red blazer

Rori   

but how do I make his collar?

Not sure how much of the collar you are needing help with, but when I made my Tohru Honda school outfit last year, I tried out making a sailor collar from old wrapping paper before I actually used any fabric. (Not newspaper, because the newsprint ink will get on everything!). When you get it the way you want it, add .25" all the way around for the seam allowance. You'll cut 2 of them and sew them together to make a "pocket", then flip it inside out and now your sailor collar has really clean edges. :>

[Picture 1: Making a test collar with wrapping paper]

The outfit you're talking about looks like it kind of has two collars (I'm looking at this picture), but you would just lay one on top of the other when you attach it.

In this picture at the bottom, I'm flipping up the secondary (and hidden) collar from my Tohru cosplay (I needed it because otherwise you could see the raw edges of the sailor collar). You could do something similar: sew on the sailor collar from the INSIDE first ("pop" the collar), then overlay the other collar over that so it keeps everything neat and gives you the look you want. I wouldn't use interfacing for the sailor collar, but it might be good for the other one so it holds its shape better.

[Picture 2: This is how I would try to attach all these collars]

Hopefully that makes a little sense/helps? ^.^;

MOMO2   

Not sure how much of the collar you are needing help with, but when I made my Tohru Honda school outfit last year, I tried out making a sailor collar from old wrapping paper before I actually used any fabric. (Not newspaper, because the newsprint ink will get on everything!). When you get it the way you want it, add .25" all the way around for the seam allowance. You'll cut 2 of them and sew them together to make a "pocket", then flip it inside out and now your sailor collar has really clean edges. :>

[Picture 1: Making a test collar with wrapping paper]

The outfit you're talking about looks like it kind of has two collars (I'm looking at this picture), but you would just lay one on top of the other when you attach it.

In this picture at the bottom, I'm flipping up the secondary (and hidden) collar from my Tohru cosplay (I needed it because otherwise you could see the raw edges of the sailor collar). You could do something similar: sew on the sailor collar from the INSIDE first ("pop" the collar), then overlay the other collar over that so it keeps everything neat and gives you the look you want. I wouldn't use interfacing for the sailor collar, but it might be good for the other one so it holds its shape better.

[Picture 2: This is how I would try to attach all these collars]

Hopefully that makes a little sense/helps? ^.^;

Yes this does and thank you. =)

Edited by MOMO2

Rori   

I think the collar itself was 100% cotton. The stripes of color are just regular ribbons. I bought a roll of the color I wanted and matching thread, then sewed on each side of the ribbon to keep it flat. I put the stripes on after I had already turned the edges on the collar. You have to go slow, the 1/4" ribbon I used was too tiny to pin.

Let me know if that doesn't make any sense. (I'm typing on my phone right now)

MOMO2   

One more question about the collar. In the center on the back is kind of pointed on the collar. What is the best way to get rounded edges? I know it is late in the game but work got the best of me!

Rori   

One more question about the collar. In the center on the back is kind of pointed on the collar. What is the best way to get rounded edges? I know it is late in the game but work got the best of me!

Cut your fabric in a normal curve or corner (with the added margin for the seam) and instead of a straight stitch, follow the curve of your fabric edges so it is even. Then before you turn it inside out, clip the corners (or on a curve, clip around the curve) so that when you flip it inside out, you don't get bunched up fabric.

wp000583.jpg

Make sure when you are clipping a corner that you don't cut through your stitches! It is a very easy mistake to make, so go slowly. :) Also, you can always trim off extra fabric if you don't trim enough the first time, but you can't add any back if you trim too much.

Good luck!