Anime Central Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lilynn

Potential anime for live action

lilynn   

OK, first of all, I think most of us agree with the fact that live action adaptation of anime/manga had been suck until now. However, looking at some anime/manga titles, I think there is potential for them to be a good live action movie if they are properly created. There are a lot of room for discussion but I'm going to make it as simple as possible.

I would use Fullmetal Alchemist for an example. Why?

1. Story - The story is very good and well developed. For this to become a success, the author must be the scriptwriter of the movie. The writer is the one who understand the most how the characters should be and how the setting looks like. It's something like J.K. Rowling being the integral part of Harry Potter development. She picked the actors and decide how the whole story would be shown in the big screen. The author at least should pick the director by himself.[/font][/color]

2. Settings - Since it is based on western culture, it is more appealing to the western people. I'm not saying Japanese culture (majority of manga setting) is not famous, I'm sure a lot of people want to know more about Japan. But it's just that people recognize western setting a lot easier, thus it is easier for the movie to penetrate the western market. Also, I think the eastern part would understand if the actors are mainly western because they are actually based on western culture.

3. Characters - Since it is based on western culture, Hollywood is a massive pool for actors. We rarely see Asian face in the manga (other than those from Xing country) so it is easier to find world class actors who can fill the Asian role. For example, Zhang Ziyi as Lan Fan (just example! =p)

4. The concept - For me, FMA has a very unique concept. Alchemy as the most advanced technology, how they use alchemy as weapon rather than how alchemy used in real world, wide range of alchemist abilities, the characteristics of the antagonists and homunculus. These are not part of your everyday concept in the cinema.

5. Special effect - We are living in HD era where lousy movie looks good when it's 3D. There aren't many sophisticated and "that-looks-impossible" effects in the manga. Looking at current 3D technology where we hardly can differentiate between reality or fiction, I don't think bringing FMA to live is impossible. Transformers looks impossible for me.

6. The popularity - FMA even had been nominated for New York Times Best Manga List. If New York Times even acknowledged it, I think the major population of the western people would have slight idea about it.

The reasons above I think more than enough to say FMA has a lot of potential to be brought into live action.

However, there is one drawback which is comedy. We all know that comedy in manga typically is a form of exaggeration. It is rarely something that can be done in real life. FMA is famous for its balance of action and comedy, so for those people who really understand about FMA, this might be a drawback if the comedy is not delivered properly in the movie.

I think I've explained my perspective. Feel free to write your opinion about it, I might missed something and I would love to discuss it. I just feel that with the current technology and available resources, anime adaptation movie can be a lot better than the previous ones.

If you have any suggestion on potential anime for live action, feel free to leave your opinion. I would like to know more potential anime which might blow our mind in the future. =)

FMA would make a damn good live action movie. I think the only obstacle would be finding someone short enough to play Edward Elric, but hey--CGI.

My vote has and always will be...Gunsmith Cats. It would be ridiculously easy to make: it's set in modern-day Chicago, it doesn't have magic or anything supernatural (Riding Bean's munchkin ability to absorb damage nonwithstanding), it has very little "anime" feel to it that would turn off non anime fans, and it's about hot girls driving hot cars and blowing stuff up.

Why Michael Bay has not optioned GSC is beyond me. It's basically Bad Boys with chicks--though it does have a much stronger plot and better characterization, GSC does pretty much come down to Rally Vincent shooting bad guys from a GT Cobra and Minnie-May Hopkins blowing people up with hand-painted grenades. Throw in the principal villain being a 6'5" Italian Mafioso lesbian and you've got your next summer blockbuster.

Ben Da Mad Irishman

"I'd much rather see Bubblegum Crisis, granted"

Isamu   

FMA would make a damn good live action movie. I think the only obstacle would be finding someone short enough to play Edward Elric, but hey--CGI.

My vote has and always will be...Gunsmith Cats. It would be ridiculously easy to make: it's set in modern-day Chicago, it doesn't have magic or anything supernatural (Riding Bean's munchkin ability to absorb damage nonwithstanding), it has very little "anime" feel to it that would turn off non anime fans, and it's about hot girls driving hot cars and blowing stuff up.

Why Michael Bay has not optioned GSC is beyond me. It's basically Bad Boys with chicks--though it does have a much stronger plot and better characterization, GSC does pretty much come down to Rally Vincent shooting bad guys from a GT Cobra and Minnie-May Hopkins blowing people up with hand-painted grenades. Throw in the principal villain being a 6'5" Italian Mafioso lesbian and you've got your next summer blockbuster.

Ben Da Mad Irishman

"I'd much rather see Bubblegum Crisis, granted"

David spade for Edward Elric?

I agree with Gunsmith Cats being adapted.

I also think it would be pretty cool to see a Read or Die live-action movie. Though it probably won't get people to read books knowing digital media is taking over lol.

David spade for Edward Elric?

Back in the day. He's a bit too old, now.

Knowing the fandom's luck...we'd get Justin Bieber.

Ben Da Mad Irishman

"Never before have you wanted Ed dead"

Isamu   

Back in the day. He's a bit too old, now.

Knowing the fandom's luck...we'd get Justin Bieber.

Ben Da Mad Irishman

"Never before have you wanted Ed dead"

You never mentioned age. Size wise he is probably a little shorter. Justin can burn in hell for all I care. Little douche has the nerve to look down on people who work for a living.

I agree with Gunsmith Cats being adapted.

I also think it would be pretty cool to see a Read or Die live-action movie. Though it probably won't get people to read books knowing digital media is taking over lol.

^This or maybe Cowboy Bebop.

Someone that has a more modern setting would be easy, like how they did with Death note.

Too bad Fake is a BL manga or I would say that. Monster would be REALLY good or Paranoia agent since you don't need a lot of special effects, which is were a lot of anime to live action fail, but that's never going to happen.

Someone that has a more modern setting would be easy, like how they did with Death note.

Too bad Fake is a BL manga or I would say that. Monster would be REALLY good or Paranoia agent since you don't need a lot of special effects, which is were a lot of anime to live action fail, but that's never going to happen.

Cowboy Bebop supposedly is in pre-production with Keanu Reeves playing Spike. I keep hearing rumors, but that's it. Maybe it's for the better. Keanu has the fighting chops to do Spike, but Spike has more than one emotion.

Ben Da Mad Irishman

"Besides 'Whoa'"

Cowboy Bebop supposedly is in pre-production with Keanu Reeves playing Spike. I keep hearing rumors, but that's it. Maybe it's for the better. Keanu has the fighting chops to do Spike, but Spike has more than one emotion.

Ben Da Mad Irishman

"Besides 'Whoa'"

Ben Da Mad Irishman

"Besides 'Whoa'"

Probably the same as the Death note American movie coming out in 2014-2016 too.

Anime I would like to see made into Live Action...

Gunslinger Girls: Little girls killing terrorists in present day Italy, what's not to like? Movie can be built around stopping a major terrorist plot of course!

Black Lagoon: Take the timid Japanese Business man and put him through hell for a movie surrounded by Revy, Dutch and the rest of the characters from Black Lagoon. Basically an action movie here guys!

GeoBreeders: I think the concept would carry over fine... Just have the Phantom cats be CG'd when they are in their not so human/cat form. I'll keep dreaming of this being a reality some day.

Phantom of the Inferno: A movie about assassins, not that hard for a live action!

Super Gals: Granted, this would need the more surreal touch like Koi no Mon had to work, but I see a work of promoting friendship in girls that doesn't involve plotting or scheming. The plot is simple, save Shibuya from a development company using backhanded, under the table tactics and keep the love and respect of your peers and friends! All while seeking a raise in your allowance.

Eden: I love this manga series and think that rather than a live action movie, I'd like to see this as a Live Action tv series on Sci Fi or HBO. Large portion of humanities population dead from a plague that turns people into dry empty husks and the survivors making due in a world barely surviving as humanity is it's own greatest foe? Sounds like a winner to me.

Kii   

I think Gunslinger Girls might not be such a good movie for Hollywood because it's a kind of disturbing concept, haha.

But who knows? There are several adaptations of Lord of the Flies, so....

Disturbing doesn't equate bad, lots of movies are considered good or unique because they are outside the norm or considered disturbing. It's how cult classics are born! :D

Not anime but a video game I would like to see adapted is Parasite Eve. It was the first RPG I have ever beaten and I think it would be pretty cool :)