Anime Central Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yangorang

Darker than Black Hei's Dagger Replica Project

Looks nice so far!

Are you doing one of the three processes listed? If you needed suggestion I would go for Traditional Casting/Machining, since the rules of ACen are very weird at times.

I am more or less pursuing all three of the listed processes in parallel to see which one ends up being the best balance of cost and quality - but for the final version that I'll make available to people I am probably leaning towards resin casting. At this point nothing is really set in stone and I'm slowly doing research and getting quotes from various places.

Edited by Yangorang

I am more or less pursuing all three of the listed processes in parallel to see which one ends up being the best balance of cost and quality - but for the final version that I'll make available to people I am probably leaning towards resin casting. At this point nothing is really set in stone and I'm slowly doing research and getting quotes from various places.

You have a tumblr or is that the main website for your updates? I want to see how this goes. Also any hints for first timers like myself? I want to make Origami cyclone's weapon from T and B but I have no idea where to start at.

You have a tumblr or is that the main website for your updates? I want to see how this goes. Also any hints for first timers like myself? I want to make Origami cyclone's weapon from T and B but I have no idea where to start at.

Thanks for your interest - I'll keep any and all updates at my Blogger site.

I'd be glad to help if I can, but I am not an experienced propmaker myself and this is actually my first anime prop as well.

Most of my prior experience lies in CAD design and basic machining, so I've just sorta been learning as I go about various things. Most prop makers would probably consider my approach to be fairly unconventional (one of them actually asked me a few questions about 3D printing) - this is just how I happen to know how to do things so heh...

If you want some general tips try asking experienced propmakers such as Volphin, Blind Squirrel, or Scouter Props. Volphin in particular does a fairly good job of documenting his work for others and I used some of his images as reference when I was creating my initial CAD model.

http://www.therpf.com/ also seems to be a good place to ask these sorts of questions.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Yangorang

Thanks for your interest - I'll keep any and all updates at my Blogger site.

I'd be glad to help if I can, but I am not an experienced propmaker myself and this is actually my first anime prop as well.

Most of my prior experience lies in CAD design and basic machining, so I've just sorta been learning as I go about various things. Most prop makers would probably consider my approach to be fairly unconventional (one of them actually asked me a few questions about 3D printing) - this is just how I happen to know how to do things so heh...

If you want some general tips try asking experienced propmakers such as Volphin, Blind Squirrel, or Scouter Props. Volphin in particular does a fairly good job of documenting his work for others and I used some of his images as reference when I was creating my initial CAD model.

http://www.therpf.com/ also seems to be a good place to ask these sorts of questions.

Hope this helps.

Thanks this does and I'll keep props on your blog as well; f5'ing it.

Here's the latest prototype I have - 3D printed out of Nylon 12 at Shapeways and then sanded a bit and spray painted. Could've probably gotten slightly better results if I spent more time and had better equipment - but I think it looks fairly good nontheless.

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq20/Yangorang/Blog%20Images/Darker%20than%20Black%20Hei%20Dagger/Shapeways%20Nylon%2012%20Full%20Scale%203D%20Print/CIMG0708.jpg