Anime Central Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jsieczkar

Summer 2012

I've been deficent in posting this, as we are two weeks into the season.

http://neregate.com/blog/2012/03/28/summer-2012-anime/

Thoughts on the season:

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate (Love, Election, & Chocolate) -- Is very ordinary like most of the reviewers have said, it really is low end vanilla ice cream. The cast is uninspired, as is the story, the setting and well honestly so is the the plot. The art is inconsistent and lip syncing was even off in some places. In general this whole show came off as a paycheck job, a show the cast and crew made solely to get paid but no real effort or hart into it.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous -- I was ready to be let down by this seasons "serious" noitaminA show after Kids on the Slope, and I was a bit. The characters feel real and you are able to place yourself into them fairly easily, the music fits snugly with the show but is not stellar on its own. Director Matsuo Kou uses a similar style with some of his other works (Red Garden, Kurenai) and uses a good color plait to fit the moods of the show. Carlo's comment about the show using something that it is truly impossible to compete with and using it as a plot point will make this show interesting.

Moyashimon Returns -- Beware if you are not interested in food science the first episode will be long, I happen to be so it flew by. There is a long stretch where very little character movement is made and it is long periods of food science dialog. The show starts with a brief reintroduction of the characters and the plot of the first season, the key word is brief. If you have not watched the first season in awhile I would suggest you do so before watching the episode. Despite the key staff remaining the same the art is different mostly in the area of inking and coloring. The lines are a bit darker and the colors more bold and it did change the look of some characters Mutou and Hirooka being the hardest hit.

Edited by jsieczkar

Natsuyuki Rendezvous I might see.

My first reaction is "They still make the pokemon anime?" and "I wonder will N be int this for a change?"

Also Chitose get you reminds me of another Kodomo no Jikan without the ecchi...which makes me wonder is Japan into taboo stuff like incest and older/younger relationships that badly in the world of 2d?

Edited by The Fujoshi

Ashori   

I'm looking forward to things I likely won't be seeking for a long while. XD

Blood-C: The Last Dark (mainly because I did sit through the censored mess that was the TV series and I would like to complete what I watched)

Code Geass: Nunnally in Wonderland (just too cute!)

Naruto the Movie: Road to Ninja (if Viz continues on the same track as they are with releasing the movies, probably won't be seeing this until like...2018 XP)

Fairy Tail: Houou no Miko (Love Fairy Tail, so of course I want to see the movie)

Tari Tari -- Is it nap time already?? Ya this show is ultra boring, and yes I know it is slice of life but come on my life is more interesting. The high school musical slice of life has been done better before try Beck: MCS if you want a music group set in High School.

Internet Streaming: Crunchyroll / Licensed by: Sentai Filmworks

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (Humanity Has Declined) -- If you are not watching this series yet you need to be. It is a great quirky comedy that I don't really have anything to compare it to, but it is good watch it.

Sword Art Online -- This might end up being one of the strongest sell shows of the season, but I would not call it the best. While the premise is great the show does fall into so very predictable patterns very early on which does not bode well. The art is very good and so is the animation, the concept is great but shows some of the usual tropes.

Internet Streaming: Crunchyroll

Campione! -- Ordinary boy gains extraordinary powers and sexy high jinks fallow. The characters are rather uninteresting and at the end of the first episode I did not make any connections to them. The show uses as bunch of old religious names that in most cases are used wrong, an attempt to sound intelligent gone very wrong. It looks like it is a mid budget show by the annimation, music an voice acting.