Anime Central Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Stranger

Animes not set in Japan

So I just started watching Monster (way behind I know) and I really like the different scenery as well as the story, as well as the ending credits (they just changed at episode 6. kind of creppy really.) It's the same reason I like Michiko to hatchin. There is just a completey different feel to them since it's in a different place. Its not another anime where, "Oh No! Tokyo Tower is being destroyed again!" or "charge up your energy for the ultimate attack!" Is there any other anime anyone knows of that takes place in the real world that isn't set in Japan as well? Id be interested to see them.

Fake-New York (Yaoi)

Pig's bride-Korea

Bride's story-India/Eastern asia

Baccano (???) Not 100% sure; don't think it's Japan

I know more but about 75% of them are shonen-ai and/or fantasy/future settings, such as Reversable and 1/2 Prince.

Black Lagoon, most of it takes place outside of Japan except for the last few episodes of the 2nd season.

Gunslinger Girl takes place entirely in Italy.

Baccano takes place in the 1930's ish mostly in the northeast in America, I believe. That's why I personally prefer the dub for it, because it almost feels like an american show. It's pretty amazing, I think. Tyler Walker did an amazing job directing it. You should definitely check it out

Oh yay! no wonder I liked Black Lagoon so much. lol. What little i've seen baccano of I enjoyed. I've always known about GSG but have never watched it. Thanks. Keep them coming please. :)

obakasan   

Spice and Wolf seems to be a mixture of Japanese type spirits (eg wolf spirit) as opposed to what I recall "European type spirits" would be, and what could pass for medieval Europe (has an Italian feel to it).

Kaleido Star is California-ish.

Snow Fairy Sugar has a European feel to it.

Even those set in Japan seem to often have a "generic" location feel to them.

Nodame Cantabile: Paris Hen is set in Paris

Ghost in the Shell (movies) is set in a city modeled after Hong Kong and most likely not set in Japan

Master Keaton is mostly set in Europe

Emma: A Victorian Romance is set in the UK

Comedy is in Ireland

R.O.D - Read or Die is set in the UK

The Big O is in the US

Fantastic Children is in the South Pacific and Europe

Hellsing is in the UK

Ristorante Paradiso is in Italy

The Sky Crawlers is in Europe

Baccano takes place in the 1930's ish mostly in the northeast in America, I believe. That's why I personally prefer the dub for it, because it almost feels like an american show. It's pretty amazing, I think. Tyler Walker did an amazing job directing it. You should definitely check it out

Baccano does take place during various times in the 1930's, it switches to different dates and events that happen in those time periods. Also it takes place in Chicago and New York :)

Baccano does take place during various times in the 1930's, it switches to different dates and events that happen in those time periods. Also it takes place in Chicago and New York :)

Ah yes. That's right, I knew I was forgetting something. Well thanks for correcting me :) Much appreciated my friend

Was Nodame the piano playing anime? The title sounds familer.

Yep, 2 music students (1 was a student conductor, the other a piano student) studying in Paris (at least during the Paris-hen arc, not sure about the finale), the original was set in Japan.

As for others, Le Chevalier d'Eon was set in Europe, along with most of D-Gray Man, though about 1/4 of DGM is set in Japan. Kino's Journey is set in various places around the world. G Gundam was set in various places around the world, especially in Guyana and Hong Kong, though I think a few episodes were set in Japan. I think Serei no Moribito was set in China? Steamboy was set in the UK.

That's for nonfictional places around the world.

If you include anime that take place in fictional settings or animes set in space or things like that, the list will probably be a lot longer...

Well so far it's about 60 percent of the list I haven't watched yet. So thank you everyone. :)

Was Nodame the piano playing anime? The title sounds familer.

Yes it is. I wouldn't start with Paris-hen as the series starts in Japan and later moves to Paris and you would lose something if you immediately jumped into the Paris arc. It is a pretty good series though. A romance comedy aimed at a slightly older audience.

According to a Wikipedia entry, the Blood+ TV series "...is set within fictionalized versions of various real-life cities, including Okinawa, Japan; Hanoi, Vietnam; Yekaterinburg, Russia; Paris, France; London, England; Fayetteville, North Carolina; and New York..."

Some of Naoki Urasawa's other stories take place in locations outside Japan. His series Master Keaton involves quite a bit of world travel, and Pineapple Army takes place in New York in the 1980s.

There's a pair of OAVs which continue the story of Sakura Wars: So Long My Love. (Finish the English version of the PS2 game before you track down the OAVs.) The story takes place in New York 1928... with steampunk mecha and a harem of Broadway actresses who fight over-the-top villains. So it's not exactly realistic.

For a look at New York which may be even less realistic, look for Mad Bull 34. The OAVs have been out of print for years.

The first part of Nodame Cantabile is set in Japan for plot-relevant reasons. The male lead traveled to Europe in the backstory, and one part of the story is about how he overcomes his fear of flying.

Even those set in Japan seem to often have a "generic" location feel to them.

There are some notable exceptions. For instance...

* The Stitch! TV series takes place on Okinawa. Also, there are a few shows that have specific episodes set on Okinawa, such as Azumanga Daioh.

* Blood: The Last Vampire (the OAV) specifically took place at the Yokota Air Base in 1966.

* Grave of the Fireflies takes place in Kobe. It's based on real events.

* Most of Summer Wars takes place in Ueda.

* Diamond Daydreams (original title: Kita e: Diamond Dust Drops) takes place in Hokkaido.

* Excel Saga takes place in "F city," which is a euphemism for Fukuouka.

* The second arc of Rurouni Kenshin takes place around Kyoto.

* At various times, the cast of Love Hina travels across Japan, with a couple of side excursions to small, fictional Pacific islands.

* Please Teacher and its follow-ups (Please Twins, and the recent show Waiting in the Summer) take place near Lake Kizaki in Nagano. This is stated in the Please Teacher Wikipedia article.

I'm trying to figure where the Tenchi Muyo OAV series starts, since it's definitely not set in a city. Is its location clearly stated?

Azumanga Daioh hilariously goes to Okinawa. "Sata andagi!"

Apocalypse Meow (manga) takes place in Vietnam, 1967-1968, from just prior to the Tet Offensive to just before the end of Operation Rolling Thunder. The anime is set in modern Afghanistan.

Chrono Crusade has been already mentioned; it's in and around New York City. Special mention should be made that the English dub cast went out of their way to research 1920s slang, which is accurate.

Crying Freeman is worldwide (since the 108 Dragons are a worldwide criminal enterprise), but has a lot of action in Hong Kong, along with a expy of South Africa; Los Angeles is in an arc. It can be placed in the late 1970s/early 1980s due to equipment, hairstyles, fashion, etc.

Parts of Full Metal Panic take place in Russia and Afghanistan (Sosuke Sagara is actually supposed to be Afghani).

I'd place Spice and Wolf in the late Middle Ages (say, around 1400) because money has become commonplace. I'd disagree that it takes place in Italy, due to climate and architecture; that's more German. Given that Lawrence spends a lot of time teaching Holo about the dizzying number of currencies and laws, I'd say they're supposed to be in a fantasy version of the Holy Roman Empire. I use Spice and Wolf in my Medieval Europe class, because nothing does a better job of explaining how merchants ended feudalism.

Ben Da Mad Irishman

"Holo's an alcoholic"

TekoMuto   

saw title of thread.

"animes"

(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»)

Edited by TekoMuto

obakasan   

I know we are talking anime NOT set in Japan, but I have to mention something like Cat Planet Cuties that is set pretty much entirely in Okinawa (except for a short Tokyo visit), and references things like Okinawan foods and Iriomote cats (with a personal nod to Azumanga Diaoh...). Now to me, I know Okinawa is part of Japan, but I also kinda think of it as being "part of Japan" the same way Puerto Rico is to the USA. They both have their own cultures, so in a way, yes they are Japan, but in another way, they are not Japan... (or northern Hokkaido and the Ainu as another example)

The First Squad is set in Russia (it's actually a Russian Anime)

Pumpkin Scissors is set in what resembles post war Europe.

El Cazador de La Bruja is in the southwest of America and Mexico/central America

Edited by OtakuAngelD

Noiz   

Lets see... The second season of Darker Than Black briefly takes place in Russia.

Arcana Famiglia takes place in Italy (just how the name sounds like as well lul).

^ I was gonna say First Squad! XD. A Russian anime/movie. Takes place in Russia

Romeo X Juliet is set in an alternate timeline and world, Neo-Verona. So It pretty much takes place in Italy.

Kuroshitsuji takes place in London.