Anime Central Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rondo

Anime License Rescues

rondo   

Looking at my backlog of VHS and laserdisc anime (my laserdiscs look horrible on an HDTV), I started thinking about anime license rescues.

Are there some older releases that were once of the domain of non-HD media (yeah, includes DVDs too) that should come back? DVD/Bluray of course.

Personally, I have been patiently waiting for a re-release of the Tenchi Muyo OAVs and Universe. I thought Funimation said it had those licenses but it has been nothing but dead silence on them.

I'd like to also see Urusei Yatsura come back.

I've been waiting forever for the next Hellsing Ultimate to come out. It should have been out a very very Veeeeeery long time ago. But we've had nothing.

The same thing with Manga. I'm still waiting for the next Pumpkin Scissors manga from Del Ray. I doubt it'll ever happen though.

I've been waiting forever for the next Hellsing Ultimate to come out. It should have been out a very very Veeeeeery long time ago. But we've had nothing.

The same thing with Manga. I'm still waiting for the next Pumpkin Scissors manga from Del Ray. I doubt it'll ever happen though.

Del Ray really doesn't finish what it sets out to. I think they've all but given up on the rest of the zaregoto books after constant extension of the second one.

rondo   

You've got a point about the Del Rey stuff. Do they still put out GN's? (I say this because I haven't kept up with the manga as much lately)

Del Ray manga was sold to Kodansha by Random House and is now Kodansha Comics USA, when they took over they dropped several series that were under performing.

Edited by jsieczkar

Del Ray manga was sold to Kodansha by Random House and is now Kodansha Comics USA, when they took over they dropped several series that were under performing.

Well thats good to hear since Kondansha is the actual japanese company that published Zaregoto and Kara no Kyoukai =_=;

Ashori   

Sadly, Tenchi is one of the titles caught up in the Geneon mess in Japan. But since Funimation is releasing the first season of Shakugan no Shana on Blu-Ray/DVD combo in August, hints from articles in Otaku USA about Blu-Ray/DVD combos of Haibane Renmei and Serial Experiment Lain being released soon, although none have been solicited yet, and there has been at least been some sort of release date/idea for A Certain Magical Index, there's a chance that Tenchi Muyo will be solicited for a new release soon too. Perhaps when Funimation places up their official list for September?

To me, the only anime rescue I really want is Cardcaptor Sakura. As for manga, I'd really love it if someone picks up Gakuen Alice, Chibisan Date, and Butterfly. Chibisan Date and Butterfly I think would be the easiest to pick up for a rescue, since I believe they are both short and/or complete. Gakuen Alice may be interesting for someone to pick up, considering it's still ongoing.

Hantsuki   

I agree.