Anime Central Forums

I know some characters go barefoot, and I was wondering how you guys get around this. Like for example, if your character is barefoot, how do you get the possibility of protecting your feet from the dirty floor/nasty foot fungus/germs on the floor/outside and still have the benefits of being barefoot in your cosplay?

Specifically for me I'm going as Lucy from Elfen Lied when she escapes the laboratory where she was imprisoned and (yeah well she is naked during this part but I'm making adjustments to it but adding bandages to cover parts of my body up) but she is also barefoot. So how do you get around being a barefooted character? Wear flip flops and take them off for pictures, suck it up and go barefoot? I'm trying to hunt around for some ideas not just for this cosplay but in general if I cosplay another character that just happens to be barefoot. :D

myrla   

Actually, i know ACen or the con center had strict instructions against going barefoot.

What you can do is find clear flip flops and color the straps on them skin tone, or there are skin tone kind of ballet slip on shoes that work great.

Agatha   

I've seen people do it a couple different ways - flip-flops are popular, as are shoes like ballet flats that you can slip off for a picture. If you go the ballet flats route, you can also coordinate them to your outfit, which is a nice touch.

I've also seen people wear skin-colored dance shoes/ballet slippers, to get the general 'bare skin' effect. This is nice because you don't have to remember to slip off your shoes, or if someone takes an unexpected picture you're not caught unawares. Or if you're in a place where the floor/ground is gross, you don't have to put your bare feet on that!

They also make 'strapless sandals' which are basically flip-flop bottoms that stick to the bottoms of your feet with adhesive, so it looks like you've got bare feet. I think this could be a big hassle, though, if you're in a place that doesn't allow you to be barefoot (not sure what ACen's rules are) - I imagine you'd get stopped quite a bit and told to put shoes on, and of course you'd be able to explain that you don't have bare feet, but it would probably get tiring after a while.

I think all methods can look equally good, and it's really up to personal preference. ^^

I know some characters go barefoot, and I was wondering how you guys get around this. Like for example, if your character is barefoot, how do you get the possibility of protecting your feet from the dirty floor/nasty foot fungus/germs on the floor/outside and still have the benefits of being barefoot in your cosplay?

Specifically for me I'm going as Lucy from Elfen Lied when she escapes the laboratory where she was imprisoned and (yeah well she is naked during this part but I'm making adjustments to it but adding bandages to cover parts of my body up) but she is also barefoot. So how do you get around being a barefooted character? Wear flip flops and take them off for pictures, suck it up and go barefoot? I'm trying to hunt around for some ideas not just for this cosplay but in general if I cosplay another character that just happens to be barefoot. :D

All of the suggestions given above are good. Please please please don't go barefoot. It's against the hotel/con center's rules, and against our rules. More importantly, it's just dangerous. People drop things, glass gets broken on the ground at con, and with all the folks stampeding around, bare feet are not only against the rules, they open you up to serious pain and even damaged or broken toes. (Seen it happen, and that phrase-every rule has a story behind it? It's part of the reason for the rule. Poor little Ed cosplayer!)

Flip-flops with clear straps are what I've used in the past, then just take them off if I'm doing serious photoshooting.

Of course, I'm thinking about next time, since my character has extremely pale skin, possibly I should get some slightly-paler-than-me pantyhose and stick some insoles in the bottom of them. (It works for superhero costumes!) But the adhesive soles sound interesting too...

I know ACen supposedly has a rule against it...but no one has ever stopped me for having bare feet. Course I don't just go to the con with bare feet...it's usually because I was wearing heels and can't stand them anymore. And one time I was wearing flip flops because my character was supposed to be barefoot, and got HUGE blisters from them. They were so painful I took them off and walked barefoot the rest of the day. So I personally recommend AGAINST flip flops unless you've practiced walking around for them for a couple hours straight and know they won't damage your feet. It was so disappointing thinking flip flops were going to be comfy then having them destroy my feet @.@ I've also had times where I was wearing heels, took them off, but also had on tights...I guess that counts as enough of a "shoe"? Either way, I've never had anyone stop me or even mention being barefoot at the con (besides a few fellow congoers stopping by and sayig "You were wearing heels weren't you?" They know my pain...)

All of the suggestions given above are good. Please please please don't go barefoot. It's against the hotel/con center's rules, and against our rules. More importantly, it's just dangerous. People drop things, glass gets broken on the ground at con, and with all the folks stampeding around, bare feet are not only against the rules, they open you up to serious pain and even damaged or broken toes. (Seen it happen, and that phrase-every rule has a story behind it? It's part of the reason for the rule. Poor little Ed cosplayer!)

Yeah I definetly won't be showing up barefoot xD, since I'm afraid of getting foot fungus or like what you said broken glass shards in my feet and stuff O_o. Every ones ideas are awesome, I like the ballet slippers idea since I can put insoles into them to add comfort.

Do you guys know of any cheap -ish/yet high quality stores I can get these shoes From or the flip flops with clear straps or The adhesive only shoes? They all sound like good ideas and I'd like to take a look at them all. :D I think those are really good solutions for all of it. And I'm thinking The same as Washu, would skin color tights count as a "shoe?" they are covering your feet, but there isn't much protection there like again rocks or something. Hmmm. Thanks for the ideas everyone! ^_^

Do you guys know of any cheap -ish/yet high quality stores I can get these shoes From or the flip flops with clear straps or The adhesive only shoes? They all sound like good ideas and I'd like to take a look at them all. :D I think those are really good solutions for all of it. And I'm thinking The same as Washu, would skin color tights count as a "shoe?" they are covering your feet, but there isn't much protection there like again rocks or something. Hmmm. Thanks for the ideas everyone! ^_^

Maybe look into skin tone socks? Like those little ones that only cover as much as ballet flats? (like wrap over your toes but don't cover much more) Those might give a good illusion for being barefoot but would give more protection than tights. I never had any issues with glass or anything when wearing tights/being barefoot, but I stayed inside. If you do go that route, make sure you've got a pair of flats or flip flops to slip into if you'll need to walk outside.

Something like this perhaps? They look kind of thin though, you might be able to find something better, I just did a quick search.

http://www.amazon.com/HUE-Womens-3-Pack-Hidden-Cotton/dp/B002HJ3DKG/ref=sr_1_12?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1336578661&sr=1-12

Karmada   

I actually use the birkenstock style of sandals myself. They're comfy to wear, and easy to slip off in case of picture taking. I used them when I dressed as Mono from Shadow of the Colossus.

http://www.amazon.com/Birkenstock-Arizona-Birkibuc-Sandal-Stone/dp/B000I66ZTG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1336579246&sr=8-5

(NOTE: I do not recommend buying super expensive ones. You can get sandals shaped like this at places like Target for $10-$15)

Agatha   

Do you guys know of any cheap -ish/yet high quality stores I can get these shoes From or the flip flops with clear straps or The adhesive only shoes? They all sound like good ideas and I'd like to take a look at them all. :D

There's a couple of sites I found that sell the adhesive soles:

http://www.topless-sandals.com/

http://www.stickysandals.com/

For ballet shoes I would check Amazon. ^^

Kii   

Well, as people have mentioned, you can't go barefoot even if you want to.

I've seen people just use slip on shoes and whatnot.

For Lucy, however, I think it'd look a bit tacky to use flip flops.

You should try those nude colored socks that people wear with flats.

The coverthe bottom of you feet and toes while leaving most of your foot exposed on top. And the color would pretty much blend in with your skin, so no need to take them off for pictures, leaving you protected from the gross stuff.

myrla   

it's not just "the gross stuff", it's all the sharp, pointy things as well.

actual ballet shoes come in a variety of colors and those things are tough as nails.

Thanks for the help everyone and thanks for the links it gives me some good stuff to go on to see what I want to do. The topless sandals seem good and the nude socks....hmm decisions decisions! But thanks for all your help a lot of good info here! :D all your help is greatly appreciated!! ^_^

STVO   

I envy those who can cosplay barefoot, lol. Good luck to you if you do Motoko, but I recommend for safety reasons having some type of sandal and when someone asks for a picture you take off your sandals.

Haven't done any characters that are barefeet, but I am considering Samurai Jack in the future, so I'll at least only be wearing sandals no socks. LOL

EDIT:

Topless Sandals.

http://www.originaltoplesssandals.com/index.html

Might be a bit pricey, but the bottom of your foot is covered without the top being covered.

...Seriously, invite those guys to sell at con. They'd get more business than they'd ever imagined, AND we'd have less yelling at people to put on shoes than ever before. (What is this wizardry....?!)

EDIT:

Topless Sandals.

http://www.originaltoplesssandals.com/index.html

Might be a bit pricey, but the bottom of your foot is covered without the top being covered.

That doesn't seem bad at all to me. 10.99 is totally im my price range. XD

And yeah if they were a vendor...that would be SUPER CONVENIENT! :D

myrla   

I'm guessing they'd be a one time use, but if i were doing multiple photoshoots + a con, I wouldn't mind spending it on it. :)

Iris   

I've looked into them before but never actually bought them. (I think maybe it was my Vaporeon and I ended going with lace up sandals).

In anycase, they claim to be reuseable.

"Step onto the sandals and off you go. They stick to your feet. Original Topless Sandals have a patented water-based adhesive on the surface of the sandals. The water-based adhesive allows you to wear them over and over. Wear your sandals to the store, the mall, sporting events or anywhere you would wear a sandal. Just wash the sandals with soap and water when they get dirty and presto, they adhere to your feet again. You can wear the sandals around water but if you submerge them in water, let them air dry and the adhesive is ready to go again. It’s very magical. "

But I don't know how much I believe that. In anycase I think I'd still be willing to try them for a cosplay and if it turns out that they are reuseable then BONUS! :3

myrla   

in theory even if the sticky didn't work, i'd think double sticky tape to keep clothing in place would also work.

There is always those shoes designed for hiking/rock climbing/outdoors. It looks like your foot but they come in different colors.

And if you need it still to look like flesh tones, just grab some acrylics and paint them the color of your feet! After con, if you want to keep using them, you can actually just scrape/peel the acrylic off, too (assuming you didn't seal it with a finishing sealer/gloss)! ^^d

Search anywhere online for "Dance Paws" They are mini socks that cover bottoms of your feet, but usually the ball of your foot. Better than nothing. :)