Anime Central Forums
ShadowYin-Yang

When's a good time to toss a wig?

So I got an Apollo Justice wig(years ago, its one of my earliest cosplays) which I plan to cosplay as either tomm or Sunday. But as I look at it, this thing looks like it's gonna fall apart(though it's not actually detaching anywhere). I honestly wonder if it'll even look right on my head anymore.

To be fair, it's a cheapish wig. It's not a party city-cheap wig or anything, but it's definitely not something like Arda wigs. I'm kinda shocked I still have it. But that's the thing, I'm sort of using the wig until there's no possible way it can look good anymore and it's either getting there, or it will when I wear it for tomm.

So my question, as the title states, when is a good time to toss a wig for a new one?

And do high quality wigs last super long? (I do own high quality wigs but I haven't abused use on them so far)

Edited by ShadowYin-Yang

I have a beautiful, high-quality wig from my first ACen.

I ran in, tripped in, fell down stairs in, sat on, slept with, and generally abused the poor thing, then ripped through it with a regular brush and the thing's still fine. It's freaking indestructible. I wish I remembered where I got it, because this is the best wig ever.

I guess what I'm trying to say is YES, YES, a million times YES! A nice wig will be wonderful for quite a while!

I would say that you should toss a wig when you put it on and can no longer make it look acceptable to you. Not as styling goes, but as rattiness goes. Of course, you can always cut it apart and reuse portions for added hair, highlights, and lowlights in a new wig, if the hair itself is in good condition and it's simply the netting that's wrecked.

I have a beautiful, high-quality wig from my first ACen.

I ran in, tripped in, fell down stairs in, sat on, slept with, and generally abused the poor thing, then ripped through it with a regular brush and the thing's still fine. It's freaking indestructible. I wish I remembered where I got it, because this is the best wig ever.

I guess what I'm trying to say is YES, YES, a million times YES! A nice wig will be wonderful for quite a while!

I would say that you should toss a wig when you put it on and can no longer make it look acceptable to you. Not as styling goes, but as rattiness goes. Of course, you can always cut it apart and reuse portions for added hair, highlights, and lowlights in a new wig, if the hair itself is in good condition and it's simply the netting that's wrecked.

I was thinking of re-using the hair for the thing just probably isn't worth it at this point. I wouldn't know how to properly preserve it either><

But alright, thanks for the suggestions! I was looking at all the wigs over the weekend, and I think I probably will get a new one. Is gonna be a bit more pricy but if it'll last me in the long run, shouldn't be too bad. Thanks again!

Late reply but when your wig is:

Really long and detail spray/other methods do not work anymore

It's really a tangled rat mess and you can't fix it no matter what you do

It looks non manageable/totally wreaked in your eyes

It smells even after you washed it a lot of times like a cat sprayed on it

You messed up on wreaths/what may have you/the glue gun.

It doesn't fit anymore/all of the above

Then it's time to throw it out

High end wigs last longer but it depends on who made it.