Anime Central Forums
sisterdiscord

Joining our ACen Team - Staff and At-Con Volunteers Explained

There are really two options for becoming a part of the ACen team: becoming staff and becoming an at-con volunteer. First. There are a couple of things you should know about us- ACen is the major event sponsored by the Midwest Animation Promotion Society (MAPS) to further their mission . As staff, as an at-con volunteer (aka gopher), or as an attendee, you’re a member.

Every single member of our 500+ person staff, leadership team, and Board of Directors is a volunteer. We have no paid employees. What we do have, is a big, crazy family of staff and former staff who work all year to put this show on. We do long hours, late nights, early mornings, and lots of coffee and pizza, and we do it because we love what we’re doing. Becoming a member of our team is a responsibility, and it’s one we ask you to take seriously.

Becoming Staff

Staffing means committing to do tasks all year around in prep for the con. We have regular meetings, planning, office tasks, and all sorts of things that need doing. All kinds of tasks need doing: from translating letters into Japanese to preparing advertising and signage for publication, to labeling and mailing badges. Our staff run video tech equipment, they manage lines, they run our merch booth, they respond to medical calls, they work with catering to make sure the staff are fed, and so on. You don’t have to be in Chicago to be staff—we have people from as far away as Texas and California who staff with us. You just need to be responsible, communicative, and able to do what you’re assigned and do it on time, with minimal supervision.

Staffing Perks

At-Con Volunteers (Gophers)

Got free time during the con and want to help out? Volunteering can use you! We always need people to help out with various things around the convention. Whether you do it for the free crash space, comped badge, or just to give back to the con that you love so much, we'll always appreciate you.

Gopher Perks

Cool stuff that can happen when you're staff - Feel free to add more:

Great work experience - Check

References for jobs - Check

Meet cool new friends - Check

See the con for free - Check, though you have to budget your time because of your shift hours

Friends love you for letting them use your free membership(s) - Check

Gain critical time management skills - CHECK!

Networking, networking, networking - Check!

Learn about something you didn't know - Check

Learn to manage a business budget - Check

Gain volunteering hours for your school project - Check!

Attend a roadshow at another con and work our booth - Check!

Get tricked into dressing in a fox costume - BWAHAHAHAA!

Get to hear the behind-the-scenes stories we can't tell in public. - Check!

Gain new appreciation for how much work this takes - mega check!

Beer with the conchair - See Artie to apply :)

Meet industry and guests behind the scenes - Depends on where you work, but a definite possible.

Learn what interesting things you see after not sleeping for three days... (Oh, sorry. Dave said we gotta sleep.)

davebb   

*SNIP*

See the con for free - Check, though you have to budget your time because of your shift hours

*SNIP*

Also, budget your time for food and sleep each day :) [This one is a rule we (as medics) make for you]

Also, Rosa, you forgot to mention that your soul may forever be owned by ACen if you decide to join staff like what happned to mine which was signed over in 2008 :) Yes! I even start to put in my vacation days for the following year because of ACen.

In all seriousness, you get to work with a bunch of great people with very similar interests and make some new lifelong friends.

well im very upset if i would have knowen i could join this and it wasnt a job i would have totally been here in oct. atleast i JUST sgin up yesterday i hope i get to join as a staff esp. since im open in where i work well if anyone has helpful info plz. mesg. me thankyou

Whoa, it's been a while since I jumped on here, but I thought to ask.

So, I'll be obtaining my PERC licence soon, and will be able to aid with whatever security issues and things of that nature.

Would I want to apply for IRT or is there something else on Staff, for which my skills would be optimized for?

I've been going to ACen for 9 years now, 10 is next and I would love to show my dedication to such an important part of my life.

i would like to know when they send the roll over badges since i volunteered in 2013 and got my required amount of hours for the roll over badge?

Hi tbellezzo,

Rollover memberships for volunteers will be processed in the registration system after preregistration opens in September. We will send out emails once the rollovers have been processed.

Melanie G.

Assistant Department Head of Registration

i would like to know when they send the roll over badges since i volunteered in 2013 and got my required amount of hours for the roll over badge?

Hi tbellezzo,

I apologize, I think I read your message too fast when I responded yesterday. Were you a volunteer for ACen for ACen 2013 or ACen 2014?

Melanie G.

Last year the one they just recently had so 2014 sorry

Hi tbellezzo,

Ok, just wanted to double check. As longas it was for 2014, my previous statement is still accurate. As for IRT interviews, I will let someone from IRT address the question.

Melanie G.

C2Queen   

It is March and i still have heard back about my staff application. When do we get a response?

Which department or departments did you apply for?

Hey guys I applied to be on staff and Zac told me I can choose to be on the Video Programming or Exhibit Space department, what tasks are being done in these departments?