Anime Central Forums
LeenStar

How do I detangle a long wig?!

LeenStar   

Hello everyone! This year is my first cosplay and I got a wig from Arda Wigs (

pic ) (In Spanish Brown). However, the wig is a little longer than I expected, and being a wig noob, I didn't consider how long it would be on my short height. I got it 4 days ago, and I've been trying to keep it tidy and neat in the bag. But I've also been trying it on like crazy, because I'm working on matching my eyebrows to the color, and seeing what makeup looks best with it. Long story short, the wig fell from the "safe" place I had it in, and when it did, it started getting tangled and just an overall mess. I've been trying to brush it out very gently, but it seems like the minute I do one side, the next side gets tangled AGAIN. It has been such a pain in my rear, and I've been trying to work on this for the past 2 hours. I went on Youtube where I found a lot of tutorials on how to detangle, but there are so many ways! I want an easy and safe way, where I won't mess up my wig in the end. A lot of the "methods" people use have disclaimers, claiming these methods only work on certain colors, lengths, etc.

Has anyone ever had this problem before? If so, PLEASE let me know what has worked for you in the past or link me to the right direction. Help will be much appreciated.

PS: Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm not too good with wigs, but I'd suggest trying to untangle it with your fingers. Don't use a brush/comb because that would pull out the fibers. I've also seen that many people say that you wash it first and then try to untangle it.

and I would suggest that you get a wig head. They cost about $5-6 at Hobby Lobby. Or maybe put it up on something that is head-like.

edit: also, this might be of some help. Everyone tackles it differently, you just have to find what works best for you.

Edited by MisakiMise

I recently went through the same problem with my first longer wig. :)

First: I HIGHLY suggest getting a wig head to put it on. They are like 5.99 at Hobby Lobby if I remember correctly, but Hobby lobby almost ALWAYS has a 40% off one item coupon online so make sure to bring that. :) Putting it in the bag is just asking for trouble - > Also, braid it and store i like that. It'll tangle a lot less in a braid than left down.

Second: DO NOT brush it with a normal brush! Get a specific WIG brush (Super Looper http://www.sallybeauty.com/Super-Looper-Brush/SBS-735111,default,pd.html ) or a widetoothed comb. ALWAYS detangle starting at the BOTTOM of the wig or you will end up with huge knots at the bottom.

Untangling:

* If it is really bad, go ahead and shampoo and condition it and lay it out flat on a towel to dry (I've heard fabric softener also works for this but shampoo/conditioner worked for me :) ) - When it's dry, brush it out while it's on the towel (starting at bottom)

* I usually use the lotion method to get out knots. Get a spray bottle, put lotion in it (1 lotion/6 water ratio), shake until mixed, saturate hair with this mixture, brush out (when dry)

Prevention:

* I have heard that spraying with "Motions Oil Sheen" and letting it dry helps to prevent tangling. I havent been able to find any to try it out yet though! XD

* Put the ends in ponytails to avoid too much movement, you can take these out for pictures :)

* Bring your brush/comb around the con and give brushes when you need to!

Also, if it is too long, there's nothing wrong with cutting it. :) I cut ~7 inches off of mine because I didn't like where it fell on me. :) Everyone is different, so you wont always be able to use the wig straight out of the bag. :)

Good Luck!!!

Edited by Yandere Emi

A wig brush is essential. If they are just minor tangles, detangle them with your fingers. I have wig conditioner spray and wig detangler spray that I use frequently throughout the con. They were really cheap and you can get them at a wig store or online. Also, I use a very tiny amount of gel in the wig to prevent flyaways and tangling. Even with that natural flowing look, a little gel really helps keep it in place while walking around. A little wind or constant removing and fixing will always tangle a wig. It doesn't work the way it does in anime, shiny and perfect all the time. ;) The number one rule is patience. Never rush with your wig or it might start to look trashy. Trust me, I saw this happen first hand twice. Definitely get a wig head. I spent like $1 for my foam one and I use a pin at the very top to keep it in place and I set it high up on a broom stick or something to keep the hair from laying flat and tangling more. Obviously you won't have a broom at ACen but try to keep it on a desk or somewhere high up (and on the wig head).

Cutting a wig is nothing! The cheapest pink wig I could find was 100 cm, and, even though I only need maybe 10 cm, I bought and cut it. It's lovely. I think. It went missing in my cosplay closet, so I'm not sure.

Everyone has offered up sound advice already on de-tangling. Listen to them. They are smart cookies. I keep mine on a recently-shaven ex-beauty school mannequin head. I tried styling it on that, though, and realised how much smaller it is than my real head. If you can get a friend who is handy with scissors to help with any sort of cut-and-styling, I would recommend that.

Agatha   

A wig head does wonders! If there's a Sally Beauty Supply near you you can get them pretty cheap.

I've used Motions Oil Sheen spray before for tangle prevention and it does a pretty good job (though, I don't have any super-long wigs, and I don't do anything very crazy with them...) You can find it just about anywhere with hair care products (I got mine at the grocery store!) It comes in a large purple and yellow can. The trick is to spray *lightly*, not saturate - wig fibers aren't porous like real hair, so they won't absorb the oil. Give the wig a very light coating and detangle gently with your fingers or a wide-toothed comb, working from the bottom up. Then let it dry.

LeenStar   

Thank you guys so much for the helpful responses

:heart: Tomorrow I am picking up some materials for my cosplay, so I will head to a Sally's and find a wig head (and also a conditioner and comb!). I'm planning on cutting the wig because frankly, it is too long and heavy on me X_x

Thanks for posting this, I am going to try it on my wig this weekend. I picked up the Motion's Oil Sheen and I pretty interested in seeing how well it works.

and for those looking for the Motion's Oil Sheen, you have to look in the "African American Hair" section of the store. I searched all over before I realized that's probably where it was at.

Edited by twoFathoms

vika838   

This is kind of related...how do I keep curls on a long wig not only tangle free, but intact? I'm afraid if I try to to comb and use my detangler I will lose the curl...

^I've used gel before to bring some curl and shape back to a wig that has lost its bounce/curls, but my experience is very limited.

This thread has been super helpful to me though - I have my Yukina wig and it's looking a bit worse for wear so I'm going to wash it out and take some well needed time to make it pretty again. The tips above tips are much appreciated!

This is kind of related...how do I keep curls on a long wig not only tangle free, but intact? I'm afraid if I try to to comb and use my detangler I will lose the curl...

I don't have any experience with curly wigs, but I'm sure keeping the curls intact isn't that hard since it was made that way. I suppose just bush it gently and after you brush, twirl pieces of the wig around your fingers just to coax it back into shape. Unless it's heat compatible, don't use a curling iron or anything on it because it might melt the wig fibers.

Tokoz   

The lesson I learned this ACen was that fabric softener DOES work as a detangler on wigs, and is wonderfully effective, but it also works as a great sharpie-dye remover as well. >_>; I'm on my third re-dye of this wig. Once for plain ineptitude (and unbeknownst to me, fabric softener), once for sun damage (UV rays + sharpie-dye = white wig in less than a week apparently), and once for detangling after-con. Finding an alcohol- and alcohol-like-substance-free detangler is turning out more difficult than I anticipated. :/

Lelo   

I use WB40, which you can find in any hardware store, or sometimes ShowSheen, which is a grooming product for horses. I would definitely recommend both! I just mist it on my wigs in sections and comb out the tangles with a wide tooth comb or wig pick.