Anime Central Forums
brandysaur

Anyone up for some Pokemon TCG this year?

I wanna break out my Pokemon decks and was wondering if anyone would be interested in playing at the tabletop all night thingie.

I've got extra rulebooks and enough damage counters to survive a cardboard shortage.

I need this to happen!

Zorak   

I wanna break out my Pokemon decks and was wondering if anyone would be interested in playing at the tabletop all night thingie.

I've got extra rulebooks and enough damage counters to survive a cardboard shortage.

I need this to happen!

Absolutely! I'll even bring a deck or two.

Jeff   

I wish there were another card shop close to me house. There is Collect a card N comics, but I don't really like to go there. I don't know anyone that plays the game around here.

Jeff   

I keep track of it all! Got it all in my head. I read articles on the game and I'm planning decks two sets ahead...doesn't really pan out though. I don't buy the cards. It's so very expensive.

I keep track of it all! Got it all in my head. I read articles on the game and I'm planning decks two sets ahead...doesn't really pan out though. I don't buy the cards. It's so very expensive.

Yeah! I remember the days when they were 99 cents a pack! I miss those days.

Woh, wish I knew where I could get them for 99 cents when I was buying them.

In the boondock suburbs in like 1999-2000. XD Oh and did I mention you go 11 CARDS. Not 9. That is SUCH a rip off. Aren't they like 4 dollars a pack now?

Jeff   

4 dollars a pack for 10. The only thing they got rid of was the one energy card per pack.

You can get boxes of 36 packs for 100 dollars. Saves 44 dollars.

Edited by Jeff

4 dollars a pack for 10. The only thing they got rid of was the one energy card per pack.

You can get boxes of 36 packs for 100 dollars. Saves 44 dollars.

O.o dang that's still a lot though.... I think I stopped buying them when they were over 2 bucks or they stopped having like 10 for 10 dollar sales. I still have all my originals...but I have so many I don't think I wanna lug em all to ACen or risk losing them or something. Has the original (like Indigo league days) card game changed at all? I would love to pop in the room and see how the gameplay goes...I have a feeling it's changed from the last time I played which was when I was like 7-10 years old. XD

Jeff   

There are some rule changes. Burn is now a status effect. Like most games, there is power creep. Power creep is soooo bad right now, old card sets won't stand a chance against the new stuff. Uhh...potion heals for 30 now! Gust of wind is called Pokemon Catcher. There are pokemon that give up two prizes when knocked out.

I'm a little ashamed to say this, but I like the rule changes a lot. They mirror more the video games, and the HP boots they gave basic pokemon leveled the playing field quite a bit. There is also a much more diverse move set/poke power/poke body set for each pokemon, which makes everything more interesting.

It's much more fun to strategize now.

Edited by brandysaur

I had hundreds of the cards as a kid....but never played a proper game. Lol we all just collected them. I still have mine somewhere. Lol I just play the games competitively. Tho I havent played black and white on my ds in a while. I have a team when garchomp and excadrill wasnt banned lol

With the new cards or the old cards? If it's the old cards I'm good to go. If it's the newer ones, I'd need to borrow cards or start buying them again. (Which I do have a little interest in)

Edited by cloudacmaster

Jeff   

We can play casually. Feel free to bring your old cards. It might be difficult to win, though.

^ Casually mixed old and new sounds like my kind of game, and a chance to test some decks that are no longer tournament legal. I've got like...4 decks currently made, so if anyone needs a spare to play..... X3

For that matter, anyone up for trades while there? Always manage(d) to get like 10 of the same rare when you just want /one/ of a different card.....and then you get the 11th in reverse holofoil (8D / OTL). Maybe BW was different, but I wouldn't know; stopped buying in the last HGSS set, or the set before last HGSS (I forget). Might be tempted to pickup a pack or two of BW one of these days, maybe open a few art commissions online/on-comms again to fund my cards... really do need to start doing more than internets these days. :3

@Jeff -- Collect A Card's now called Top Cut Comics - new sign and everything. Assuming they just changed the name to match their Rockford store; haven't been inside for ages to confirm though (no monies = no cards/league).

JujuFox   

I might stop by since I do collect them for the art and might be willing to trade.

In fact check out this card I just pulled from a Next Destinies booster pack...

RegEXsm.jpg

I'm trading it for a Reshiram EX with someone on a pkmn Live Journal community, so It'll be gone come Monday! I love these new EX cards they are sooooo beautiful!

Tournament-legal is basically the most recent 7 or 9 sets. Everything older than that is no longer tourney legal, though it's officially declared what's legal wand what's too old at the start of each league season (late August/early September iirc). i want to say that right now, only HGSS series and B+W series cards are valid, though I could be wrong, and some HGSS sets may already have been rotated out.

How the heck is anyone supposed to keep that straight?!

I have a boss fire/grass deck I am pumped to use.

Also, a badass dark deck I've been working on. =D

Luckily, you only need to keep it straight once a year -- a set is legal once it comes out, but only once a year are sets retired.

<<-- debating the Charizard boss deck, "Lost zone" deck (sadly a fair few proxies atm,as i sorta "quit" my league mid-construction), speed 'Chus deck, and "Water Spout" one I have half dismembered lol. And like 4 more i was starting i might bring to build, barter, and work on. :3