Anime Central Forums
Dark Spellmaster

Next Big Anime to Replace The big three?

So what in your mind will be the next big anime that will surpass the likes of Bleach, Hetalia, Naruto, Oen Peice?

Right now I'm trying to figure it out, and I've noticed a few trends to the series that become the newest Craze.

1. The series is easily identified by one or two names. Most series that have a longer name tend to have fewer over all crazy fans.

2. The series will be shonen over Shojo. In all honesty most series that become a big thing tend to come from the shonen market. Sailor Moon is an example of Shojo, but for ever sailor moon how many other boy's series becomes a big hit.

3. The lead is normally an underdog who has a good heart, is a bit impulsive, comes off as a tough but is really just a decent person in the end trying to make things better for him and his or her family. Or they are a sweet character that has gumption even in the sake of hard times.

4. They are a magic, girl or boy, that either gains their ablity through some item (Ichigo the sword, Luffy the gum gum) or they were born into it. (Usagi moon princess, Naruto son of the fourth, Ichigo son of a soul socitey member.)

5. The Characters names are easy to remember, (Naruto, Luffy, Ichigo, Usagi, Italy) and are also easy to identify by a characteristic. (Naruto the blonde hair and fox wiskers, Luffy the straw hat and outfit, Ichigo the red hair and sharp eyes, Usagi the buns, Italy the curl).

6. The series cast has enough to give people lots of ships with the characters. And are well developed.

7. The mascot isn't annoying.

8. Villians are normally very iteresting and are not just evil for evil's sake.

9. Death's are not just used for the hell of it, and the charcters grow from their trials.

10. The Songs are memorable and easy to identify when you hear them.

So with that in mind, which new series do you think will become the next big hit. My vote is on Blue Exorsist.

iHane   

I'm right with you on Blue Exorcist.

As I was reading the list I was listing all of the characters and all of the aspects that went with it.

^^

Now to go back to working on my Rin costume. >_>;;

Edited by iHane

Keans   

Blue Exorsist has about much of a chance as D.Gray-Man did. But its not dub and so far only people that keep up with new stuff know about it.

You also forgot one thing in your list, reaaalllly long series. Series that end after 24 ep arnt as popular as series with 300ep. people have limited attention span they usually go for the latest thing they saw.

If Fairy Tail ever got mainstreem I would vote for that hands down.

Edited by Keans

Ashikana   

Fairy Tail has the potential. Like I said in the other thread, Fairy Tail is getting a dub in the fall so it may get a ton of new viewers

I have no idea what will be next - i have a tendency to be really late when it comes to series simply because i either stick to what i love or watch really old anime. (ranma, utena etc).

But I DO have to agree with that list of yours. It is pretty accurate so I plan to keep an eye out for anything that matches that list!

I don't see Fairy Tail getting any more popular than One Piece and while One Piece is popular, it never really hit that explosion where everybody was simply watching One Piece. Granted it never really had a good time on American television which I cite as a large reason why so maybe if Fairy Tail were to get that, its possible.

The second major problem is that Cartoon Network doesn't really seem to have interest in picking up anything new. Which leaves Sci-Fi to the task of creating that big new anime. I'm not sure Sci-Fi has the viewership or the desire to really. Right now they are focusing more on showing good anime than stuff that will be popular. Now you think, how can those 2 be different, well they're showing Starblazers right now. Great series, will never catch on with the modern day anime fans as its too old.

Until we get a new "home" for anime though I don't know that we'll have another big explosion of something in America that isn't a daytime kids show like Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, etc. Hetalia kinda surprised me in that it was able to grab ahold of that role without having a big American run. So I'm certainly not ruling out the possibility, but its going to have to be something special.

LC Asuka   

Hehe....is it bad that I've never even heard of Blue Exorcist? Then again, I've been trending on watching anime series that are at least ten years old. >_<

EDIT: Huh...no wonder it'll probably be big - from the looks of it, Blue Exorcist is just a tweaked and repackaged Soul Eater. *sigh*

rondo   

I don't see Fairy Tail getting any more popular than One Piece and while One Piece is popular, it never really hit that explosion where everybody was simply watching One Piece. Granted it never really had a good time on American television which I cite as a large reason why so maybe if Fairy Tail were to get that, its possible.

The second major problem is that Cartoon Network doesn't really seem to have interest in picking up anything new. Which leaves Sci-Fi to the task of creating that big new anime. I'm not sure Sci-Fi has the viewership or the desire to really. Right now they are focusing more on showing good anime than stuff that will be popular. Now you think, how can those 2 be different, well they're showing Starblazers right now. Great series, will never catch on with the modern day anime fans as its too old.

Until we get a new "home" for anime though I don't know that we'll have another big explosion of something in America that isn't a daytime kids show like Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, etc. Hetalia kinda surprised me in that it was able to grab ahold of that role without having a big American run. So I'm certainly not ruling out the possibility, but its going to have to be something special.

SyFy is supposedly ending the anime block next week (June 9th). Cartoon Network has more in its own inhouse programming and only seemingly picks up licenses it sees as for sure hits or are real cheap (adult swim takes more risks but essentially the same).

That is a shame as I enjoyed watching StarBlazers, Monster, Gurren Lagann, Now and Then Here and There. They had a pretty amazing lineup overall. Its a shame if it is going to be cut due to lack of viewership. I don't know if that is the reason why, I am only assuming.

It seems Adult Swim typically does show stuff that they know is going to do well from the start. Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, stuff like that. Or stuff that their license probably just hasn't run out yet on like Big O and Cowboy Bebop. I was kinda surprised they took a chance with Kekashi, though I kinda wish they hadn't. I'm guessing they got it for next to nothing though as it was pretty no name when it came over here.

Keans   

Hehe....is it bad that I've never even heard of Blue Exorcist? Then again, I've been trending on watching anime series that are at least ten years old. >_<

EDIT: Huh...no wonder it'll probably be big - from the looks of it, Blue Exorcist is just a tweaked and repackaged Soul Eater. *sigh*

Actually... its nothing like soul eater, regarles of a very few similarities. If anything its similar to D.Gray-Man but even then Blue Exorcist has more of a high school feel. It has less than 7 episodes out so its pretty new (unless you been reading the manga which has been going on for longer) so thats why most people haven't even heard of it.

Keans   

Actual episode 7 just came out on Sunday. >_> sorry.

Yep, saw it alredy. Now Im waiting on Gosick <3 O.O

>3>;; I've never even heard of it either.. xD *Scratches head* I guess probably due to the genre I typically watch..

And on the topic of Adult Swim, it seems they've just picked up Durarara!!

Kasin   

i've heard, but haven't seen. just got into deadman wonderland.

adult swim still gets new anime? :huh: wow...

Jiraiya   

I must admit that I am having a difficult time determining the next new fad (it does not help that I have cable TV to see what's on TV nowadays).

However, based on the popularity and exposure of series, I classified 4 groups for cosplayers where they get their ideas for cosplay:

Group A: Cosplayers who get their idea from Cartoon Network or whatever's on cable TV. This also covers that are marketed well through DVD/BR videos.

Group B: The group that's steadily growing, they get their idea what's been leaked/streamed/broadcasted on the web.

Group C: Cosplayers who cosplay really deep underground and obscure anime that barely anybody know or acknowledge. They would even cosplay straight from manga that were not animated yet. Pretty hardcore cosplayers.

Group D: Team Retro!!! These are cosplayers who dresses from anime or manga of old. Whether they were licensed or not, these guys/gals dressed up as characters from very old series considered as classics. Usually done by fans of certain generations.

So with that classifications, let me just list what I noticed based from this past month.

Group A: Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood, Soul Eater, Gurren Lagann, Big-Oh, Bleach, Naruto, Dragonball, Trigun, Inuyasha, etc etc etc

Group B: Durarara, Eyeshield 21, One Piece, Sengoku Basara, Gantz, etc etc etc

Group C: **Can't really name one at the moment since they were mostly from group b** Nougami Neuroot

Group D: Macross, Macross 7, Rurouni Kenshin, Ranma 1/2, Gundam, Sailormoon,

I guess what I am trying to say is that a good amount of the fans would be coming from Group B and apparent Ao no Exorcist is a part of the group... I will get back in to this later on.

Midnight Navy would be big if it wasn't REALLY new.

It's mostly low key, which is a good thing.

The next fad cosplay/in general wise seems to be Homestuck. Anime wise I have no idea. Maybe Dura because of the whole, 'new generation watching Adult swim,' thing.

C2Queen   

I know Durarara is being dubbed and I heard a rumor it's going to be put on Adult Swim. I'm sure that will become increasingly popular just as Bleach and Naruto became. Gurren Lagann is definitely another one of those that has the potential to become even more popular than it is now. If Adult Swim or another big network get the rights to it I'm sure its popularity will skyrocket. Other than that... Panty & Stocking is being licensed by Funimation at the moment and just got renewed for a second season, the fandom for that series skyrocketed in just a small amount of time who knows what it'll be in a few months. Other than that... I think Kuroshitsuji might get a little bit more of a fan base, the fans for that show seem to increase every year. It all really depends on major networks, publicity, and word of mouth. We already know what the good shows are being major anime fans =]

TekoMuto   

if yondemasu yo azazel-san makes it big, its going to be one of those over hyped ones ya know? albiet it is pretty great.

Keans   

Hitman Reborn seems to fit all of those categories

It does but it didnt start out like that, originaly it was meant as a comedy gag manga, you gotta get past the firs 20ep or the first 7 volumes beffore it gets any good.

if yondemasu yo azazel-san makes it big, its going to be one of those over hyped ones ya know? albiet it is pretty great.

I think Azazel-San is to disturbing and has too much of a toilet humor to appeal to a wide audience.

It does but it didnt start out like that, originaly it was meant as a comedy gag manga, you gotta get past the firs 20ep or the first 7 volumes beffore it gets any good.

I think Azazel-San is to disturbing and has too much of a toilet humor to appeal to a wide audience.

Problem with Hitman is that it plays off it's genre rather then playing it straight which means that it's not going to gain as much of a fandom unless it plays it straight from the start with subtle humor.

Agreed, a fly demon that eats er...poo...and a hero who's main power is to make others feel lusty, yeah...not going to fly over here as much as people would like. It will be watched but not gain the fans as Bleach.