Anime Central Forums
DeadCruiser

Your favorite genre of anime

So out of curiosity, what's your favorite genres of anime? I'm not opposed to watching different types of anime, but my personal favorite is harem anime. I know it's kinda cliche, but still, something about the awkward moments make me laugh and put me in a good mood. So how about you?

Trini   

I love a good supernatural show. My mom loves watching vampire/werewolf/creature from the lagoon movies so I guess it rubbed off on me. I don't mind slice of life shows either. Nice to take a break from action and all of that sometimes.

It's not really a genre, but anything that has to do with time travel or traveling to another world. Just the idea of it is amazing to me. Also looking for suggestions if anyone has some :)

wrexness   

So out of curiosity, what's your favorite genres of anime? I'm not opposed to watching different types of anime, but my personal favorite is harem anime. I know it's kinda cliche, but still, something about the awkward moments make me laugh and put me in a good mood. So how about you?

Speaking of harem, I noticed you started watching Shuffle! That's easily my favorite harem series, even if I didn't like particularly like the girl he ended up with.

Anyway, I watch just about everything. Slice of life, shounen, harem, comedy, shoujo...

Reverse Harem/ecchi/comedy.

Sumomomo momomomo and Butterfly flowers are my favs <3

I can basically watch anything but mindless hentai/fanservice that only cashes in on fanservice anime/mango. Like no plot or weak plot and just panty panty panty shots and hints.

Edited by The Fujoshi

Reverse Harem, Cross dressing, horror seinens, historical dramas also I really like delinquent high school animes like Gokusen, GTO, Tenjou Tenge, Crows (I think its the gakurans)

Reverse Harem, Cross dressing, horror seinens, historical dramas also I really like delinquent high school animes like Gokusen, GTO, Tenjou Tenge, Crows (I think its the gakurans)

Mmmmm such a good show :)

AshBird   

I can pretty much watch anything, especially if it's action oriented, but I tend to like romance the most.

Even in shows where romance isn't the main point, I still tend to like that part the best.

I love the typical Shoujo/Slice of Life anime!! You know, the romantic ones with bits and pieces of comedy, followed by some huge cliff-hanger where the series then takes a turn, becoming dramatic or angsty? Yeah... Those are my favorites! xD

Gender benders, romantic comedy, mystery, seinen (weirdly), a bit of ecchi, definitely reverse herem, bishi types, sports, very little of that slice of life stuff, but my guilty pleasure is shojou even tho it doesn't have to be....I'm just so not good with that cute cuddly stuff but gosh.....it just its so darn cheesy and I love that

I love anything with action and a lot of cool fight scenes, and if they are futuristic/sci-fi that's even better. I also have a little room in my heart for romance/romantic comedy and some shojou. <3

S1NN3R   

Although it's not really a genre, my faves tend to be where they end it on a "bad" note. I cant seem to get enough of the ones the leave me with a truly crushed heart... though, those are hard to come by

Although it's not really a genre, my faves tend to be where they end it on a "bad" note. I cant seem to get enough of the ones the leave me with a truly crushed heart... though, those are hard to come by

I tend to call them Tragedies, tragic-drama, whatever. Unless they're a completely separate genre.

S1NN3R   

Tragedies are their own genre. However most of what I've seen, the endings have been "softened" for their anime versions. Plus endings like this are found cross genres; action - slice of life

Rukariou   

I like action or scifi adventure the best. Probably mecha the least, but I'm not against it as Code Geass and TTGL are some of my favorites and have watched some Gundam with my husband... it's just... idk. Not my cup of tea.

Fantasy is my slice of the week. Whether it old school D&D style Slayers or urban fantasy in the way of Haruhi or even the heaven versus hell mixture that comes with Ah! My Goddess, I just love seeing magic and monsters in anime.

A close second is giant mech shows. Because I love giant mechs :D

Ranko   

I enjoy pretty much everything, but if I had to pick... I'd narrow it down to Slice of Life and Action.

Valkyrie   

I'm pretty eclectic. I have favorites all across the genre board, so it's hard for me to pick. BUT, by the same token, I am selective on the anime I watch within each genre.

Harem anime tends to rank lower with me, simply because it's hard to find a good one that has actually STAYED good. Tenchi Muyo, Ah! My Goddess, and Ranma 1/2 are a few I particularly enjoy. Shuffle! wasn't horrible by any means, but my problem with it was how the majority of the characters were Mary Sue/Gary Stu types - people whom everybody loves, but very few dislikes - with very few exceptions.

I like fantasy/action types - like Fate/Stay Night, 3X3 Eyes or Ghost Stories. (Again, though, you hit the "Gary Stu" issue with Shirou Emiya in FSN, who gets pretty irritating after a while.)

Then you have comedy. Now, I like my comedy to be spiced up with action, too. So, Lupin the 3rd and GetBackers are my favorite examples there, along with FLCL.

I THINK, though, what tends to rank highest with me are the "surreal" types. Princess Tutu and Aria, for instance. I love the artwork in these, and the stories play out to a degree that I personally enjoy.

Edited by Valkyrie