Kaia Hatsune

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

This show is...  

64 members have voted

1. 1. dumb!

• hilarious!
    • adorable!
    • weiiiiirrrrrdd
    • someone was high when making this show.

I was just so happy that twilight became an alicorn. I kinda knew it was gonna happen, but not like this! I came as such a surprise for me. I simp,y cheered in joy when she transformed!

Ugh, I was so annoyed when that happened lol. I think it's because Twilight is one of my least favorite ponies. <_<

In terms of the show's appropriateness for children (especially little girls), I support Twilight's rise to royalty. She wasn't born royal. She worked hard, embodied the elements of harmony, and became a princess because she deserved it, not because she was born to play the role. The show sends the message that anyone can become a princess, and I think that's just plain awesome. If I were still a kid, I'd look up to Twilight for her accomplishments way more readily than I'd look up to a Disney bimbo (and sorry if that's harsh; I actually love the Disney princess movies).

I think the adult fans often forget MLP:FIM is a show for kids. Twilight's ascension makes sense in terms of MLP being a children's show.

And now the show has started in Japan. Guess that means this show just gained more traction for representation at ACen. tongue.gif

Maybe. It does seem kind of inconsistent that they flat out said they would not approve any MLP panels but allowed Homestuck which is just as much not anime or Japanese.

Edited by TheStrongJaeger

Maybe. It does seem kind of inconsistent that they flat out said they would not approve any MLP panels but allowed Homestuck which is just as much not anime or Japanese.

MLP is still a western creation at it's core. Though I don't know who is to blame for these non-anime explosions happening at anime centric conventions. ACen? The fans? The industry?

I don't know for certain, but it's beyond my/your/our control.

MLP is still a western creation at it's core. Though I don't know who is to blame for these non-anime explosions happening at anime centric conventions. ACen? The fans? The industry?

I don't know for certain, but it's beyond my/your/our control.

Oh I'm not saying the decision to not allow MLP was wrong; It's an anime convention and MLP isn't anime. My complaint was more directed at the fact that other non-anime things like Homestuck were approved. If you ban one you ban both.

rondo   

Oh I'm not saying the decision to not allow MLP was wrong; It's an anime convention and MLP isn't anime. My complaint was more directed at the fact that other non-anime things like Homestuck were approved. If you ban one you ban both.

Hmm, perhaps if someone was so inclined for next year's ACen, one could put up a panel analyzing Japan's reaction/acceptance of MLP, differences between the east and west versions, invite seiyuu who work on MLP's japanese translation...then you'd have a big argument that such a panel should be allowed.

As has been stressed lately, ACen isn't just about Anime and Manga anymore. It is apparently about Japanese culture in general with some heightened focus on anime and manga. Well, MLP is now becoming a part of that culture..though it'll be interesting to see what kind of foothold it can get.

EDIT: What's with my caps and non-caps.

Edited by rondo

Wait. Why is there a Homestuck panel at this year's ACen?

That was exactly my question. It's not anime or Japanese so by the new rules it shouldn't have been approved. All other non-anime or Japanese ones were turned down like MLP, Doctor Who, etc.

As a recent out-of-the-closet brony, that kind of ticks me off. ACen isn't allowing MLP because it's not anime?

Let's see: MLP uses the "big eyes" convention, has definite anime influences, and is, well, animated. I can understand the fear that ACen could end up being taken over by bronies--and there are MLP cons now--but I think MLP is far more animesque than Homestuck, or one of a dozen more series allowed at ACen. Not to mention MLP could be a nice gateway for potential future anime fans.

I can see the reasoning, but I think ACen risks alienating a potential growth group. One of the reasons I was convinced to give MLP a try by fellow anime fans was its appeal to people like myself, that enjoy a good animated series whether it be American or Japanese.

MLP is a damn sight better than 75% of the anime I've seen lately...

Ben Da Mad Irishman

"At least Spike isn't collecting a harem"

I'm fine with them not allowing it. No matter how inspired it is it's not anime. And as far as alienating a growth group, that's like saying the NFL risks alienating MLB fans by not playing baseball at the Superbowl. They are not trying to attract the baseball fan and ACen is not trying to attract the MLP crowd. If they show up great but we are not the target demographic.

And as I've touched on, if getting rid of MLP means we can get rid of Homestuck and Dr. Who then I am definitely in favor of it.

I'm fine with them not allowing it. No matter how inspired it is it's not anime. And as far as alienating a growth group, that's like saying the NFL risks alienating MLB fans by not playing baseball at the Superbowl. They are not trying to attract the baseball fan and ACen is not trying to attract the MLP crowd. If they show up great but we are not the target demographic.

And as I've touched on, if getting rid of MLP means we can get rid of Homestuck and Dr. Who then I am definitely in favor of it.

Maybe. What I see is lost revenue and the opportunity to introduce people to anime. As it sits, this movement towards "purity" is going to end up with diminishing returns, smaller cons, and torqued off fans.

Some of this rhetoric sounds a lot like anime fans of my generation, who won't watch anything made after 1996 because it's no longer "pure anime" and would never watch a dub because it "detracts from the original Japanese." These people are usually referred to as dinosaurs.

Ben Da Mad Irishman

"You may notice what happened to dinosaurs"

rondo   

I think we are way beyond our pure anime and manga show at point as the con seems willing to allow a little extra geekdom to sneak here and there. MLP is taking the reverse approach we see here in the US. A few show from Japan find there way to the US shores and managed to get on television. For once, the US is exporting a show in the opposite direction. I'm all for that.

I just want to know why Homestuck gets a panel and Dr. Who (or MLP:FiM) does not.

In a different thread a staff member said it was because web comic artists are represented in the dealers room, thus a small number of web comic panels were accepted after all anime panels were approved.

Edited by TheStrongJaeger

For once, the US is exporting a show in the opposite direction. I'm all for that.

You don't honestly think that this is the first time the US has exported one of their animated series to a foreign country? Because if this is your defense, why don't we allow Spongebob Squarepants or The Simpsons panels at ACen? I mean both of them are probably hits over in Japan as well.

rondo   

You don't honestly think that this is the first time the US has exported one of their animated series to a foreign country? Because if this is your defense, why don't we allow Spongebob Squarepants or The Simpsons panels at ACen? I mean both of them are probably hits over in Japan as well.

Oh I know it is not the only one, but those two titles that you point out are very mainstream and MLP doesn't come even remotely close to their overall cultural awareness. As the con welcomes a bit of geekiness amongst its production, evidenced by Doctor Who and Homestuck for instance, MLP also shares such a similar trait which Spongebob and the Simpsons do not.

The Legend of Korra has a panel...TF2 has a panel...LoL has a panel...so yeah, if someone wanted to do a pony panel and there are none approved, I can see and understand a certain degree of irritation for that individual or group. I mean, they even have Kikuko Inoue voicing Celestia..so, at least in my eyes, I can see where MLP should have a leg up, at least now, in being able to at least have one panel.

Edited by rondo

ANYWAY I think we've gone off topic enough on panels.

Sort of on that topic has anyone been watching the Japanese episodes? Overall I like the voice cast with the exception of Rainbow Dash, she barely sounds like a girl at all and just kind of annoys me. Pinkie Pie needs more energy as well but is overall pretty decent.

ANYWAY I think we've gone off topic enough on panels.

Sort of on that topic has anyone been watching the Japanese episodes? Overall I like the voice cast with the exception of Rainbow Dash, she barely sounds like a girl at all and just kind of annoys me. Pinkie Pie needs more energy as well but is overall pretty decent.

I like the opening.

Speaking of songs I need to catch the other episodes. Curious to hear how Pinkie Pie's Giggle at the Ghosties sounds.

Normally, I love Pinkie Pie. She is one of my favorite ponies (I was even planning on cosplaying her this year). But in Japanese, I find her kind of annoying. The language is already rather quick and somewhat harsh sounding as it is (to me at least; that's not to say I don't like it though); add a personality like Pinkie to it, who's bouncy energy often finds its way to her voice, and it all just becomes too much :\.

Normally, I love Pinkie Pie. She is one of my favorite ponies (I was even planning on cosplaying her this year). But in Japanese, I find her kind of annoying. The language is already rather quick and somewhat harsh sounding as it is (to me at least; that's not to say I don't like it though); add a personality like Pinkie to it, who's bouncy energy often finds its way to her voice, and it all just becomes too much :\.

I might watch it just to see how the Japanese version handles "KUMQUAT KUMQUAT PICKLE BARREL!"

Ben Da Mad Irishman

"SHIITAKE SHIITAKE SAKE!"

I might watch it just to see how the Japanese version handles "KUMQUAT KUMQUAT PICKLE BARREL!"

Ben Da Mad Irishman

You watch mlp? :blink:/>

Ben Da Mad Irishman

Or even "Chimicherry, chimichonga! Chimicherry, chimichonga!" :lol: