Anime Central Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tashigi2526

Manga in Other Languages

Manga, it seems, has become pretty popular all across the world. Many series have been translated into different languages and I was wondering if anyone owns or has read any manga that has been printed in another language (other than English). I happen to own a couple of volumes of One Piece as well as a copy of Eiichiro Oda’s Wanted that have been translated into German (they were souvenirs that my mother and brother brought back for me from their trip to Germany).

Lina   

I have Hellsing volume 8 in German. I got it when I was in Austria. I was so happy to have it before it was released in America. :heart:

I definitely want to get more manga in German and anime.

I did once find Full Metal Alchemist in Spanish once, and it was fun to read. (it was online).

Anime wise, I've watched Ghost in the Shell SAC in Spanish and Death Note in Italian. That's always fun.

If anyone knows of any wikis or fansites that list series that have been professionally translated into various languages, please say so.

I believe that Tokyopop translated the Marimite manga (Maria Watches Over Us) into German. The anime is in English, but the original manga has never been officially translated into English.

I was browsing a Japanese bookstore in Seattle during fall 2010, and saw that a huge amount of titles were available in Chinese.

I visited Montreal a few years back, and browsed a few bookstores. I saw plenty of eastern and western comics in French. Here's a few that were distinct:

* Ramen / Noodle Fighter Miki, of which ADV published only one volume in English, had several volumes in French. (The TV anime spinoff is easier to find in English.)

* 3x3 Eyes, of which Dark Horse published about twelve volumes in English, was completely translated into French. (The OAV spinoff is not tough to find in English.)

* Dragon Quest Dai no Daibouken was translated into French under the name "Fly." It has never been officially translated into English.

* A whole bunch of Mitsuru Adachi series. In English, the only pro translations of his work are Short Program (circa 2000) and the recent Cross Game. I saw many volumes of his other series in French, including H2 and Touch.

Does Manhwa count? I have korean manga fyi.

I thought about reading stuff in Russian but the most I read was korean/Japanese/Chinese/Spanish. For some reason Italian and other language manga, with the exception of those big four, are not common .+.

i own some one piece volumes in japanese that i won at ACen last year.

i really want to pick up some volumes of slam dunk and ah!my goddess in that format, too.

the art looks so much nicer in the way it's reprinted, and the size! not to mention, they fit right in your back pocket.

i own some one piece volumes in japanese that i won at ACen last year.

i really want to pick up some volumes of slam dunk and ah!my goddess in that format, too.

the art looks so much nicer in the way it's reprinted, and the size! not to mention, they fit right in your back pocket.

I own a few volumes of One Piece in Japanese too. They are a lot smaller and handier to carry around. Now, if only I knew enough Japanese to be able to read them...

Lina   

I have the whole Kingdom Hearts manga in Japanese and a volume of Kobato and a few other manga. I have Junjou Romantica in Japanese. I forget which volumes, but I think I have most of them.

I collect Keroro Land, which is a Keroro Gunso magazine. I need to go back on one of my days off to see if it's in. There's a Dororo hat in this month's issue! :heart:

I wish I could read Japanese though. XD

Keiichi, when I go to Mitsuwa on either Tuesday or Wednesday, I will see if they have A!MG.

I have the whole Kingdom Hearts manga in Japanese and a volume of Kobato and a few other manga. I have Junjou Romantica in Japanese. I forget which volumes, but I think I have most of them.

I collect Keroro Land, which is a Keroro Gunso magazine. I need to go back on one of my days off to see if it's in. There's a Dororo hat in this month's issue! :heart:

I wish I could read Japanese though. XD

Keiichi, when I go to Mitsuwa on either Tuesday or Wednesday, I will see if they have A!MG.

cool. i'm sure they will.

i mean..they SHOULD.

Lina   

cool. i'm sure they will.

i mean..they SHOULD.

I will buy you some as a "BEST FRIEND IN THE WORLD" present. :D And for the panel if it gets accepted. They are also cheaper than translated manga.

Here's a Wikipedia article on "manga outside Japan": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manga_outside_Japan It briefly discusses the scenes in France, Germany, Brazil, etc, and provides some useful links.

If there were scans of unlicensed manga back in 2001, then I didn't know they existed. So back then, I bought a few Japanese trade paperbacks of Rurouni Kenshin, and relied on text-only translations. (Just like the way in which anime fans older than me relied on low quality VHS and scripts handed from club to club...)

Now only a few publishers continue to translate manga in trade paperback form. So I'd probably do well to purchase a few more untranslated volumes. I managed to track down the first Super Dreadnought Girl volume a few months ago...

I will buy you some as a "BEST FRIEND IN THE WORLD" present. :D And for the panel if it gets accepted. They are also cheaper than translated manga.

oh, man..you don't have to.

it's super-nice and sweet of you to offer, though.

you're already 'best in the world' lina-kins. :-)

Lina   

oh, man..you don't have to.

it's super-nice and sweet of you to offer, though.

you're already 'best in the world' lina-kins. :-)

I will whether you like it or not. lol Besides, it's the least I could do for it. Also, I told Corey I'd cosplay as Chihiro for the panel because I don't have to buy anything for it. XD

D'awwww! Thanks! :3

When I was in Paris, I went to a bookstore in the Gallerie Layfaette and they had a huuuuuge manga selection. So, I bought a bunch of manga in French. If I remember correctly, I got Getbackers 1-2, Pandora Hearts 1-2, Othello 1, Kenshin 1, Vampire Knight 1, Angel Sanctuary 1, and Alice in the Country of Hearts 1. I also got a little Vampire Knight story, "Heart of Glass" from there. I love reading manga in French. It was also relatively cheap, too~

When I was in Paris, I went to a bookstore in the Gallerie Layfaette and they had a huuuuuge manga selection. So, I bought a bunch of manga in French. If I remember correctly, I got Getbackers 1-2, Pandora Hearts 1-2, Othello 1, Kenshin 1, Vampire Knight 1, Angel Sanctuary 1, and Alice in the Country of Hearts 1. I also got a little Vampire Knight story, "Heart of Glass" from there. I love reading manga in French. It was also relatively cheap, too~

A French copy of Alice in the Country of Hearts would be so awesome (I've recently gotten into that series and like it a lot). So would any manga in French for that matter. I must admit, though, my French is a little bit rusty (haven't used it a whole lot since high school) so I doubt I'd be able to read anything properly in French. And it seems like manga are a lot more reasonably priced in other countries than they are here.

I have Dakenai Jikan by Fujisaki Kou in Japanese and Abiru Junjou in Chinese. Yaoi that I'd love to have in my collection but i have a feeling will never get licensed... Sadness.

Edited by i_like_kyos

i really love mangas and anime. and often times am debating with myself whether i should read manga first or watch the anime. 

some of the recent manga i read are one piece and hero academia.