Anime Central Forums
The Fujoshi

obscure games?

Discussion about any game on the systems that is rare and Japan only or hidden gems that you enjoyed but are not as popular.

The major two for me have to be: Itadaki street series and Persona. Persona/SMT wasn't that popular at first because it had some touchy subjects but quickly rose with the help of Atlus and other companies to bring it state size, but compared to the Square/Enix series it's kind of low level and rare.

Itadaki street is basically a Japanese version of Monopoly that you never heard of unless you bought/downloaded the DS lite/PSP version with the Square/Enix characters. It's addicting and plays similar to monopoly. There was a rumor that it suppose to come state side but never made it because of some content in the DS lite version as well as money issues.

wrexness   

I've been playing the SMT games since I saw the high praise they had for Nocturne on XPlay way back in the day. Awesome, awesome games.

Mr. Mosquito was an odd quircky game that I found myself addicted to a few years back.. ADDICTED I tell you.. It had a very Katamari like...feel to it, in the sense that the game itself had a weird concept.. xD As a Mosquito, you must suck the blood of the Yamada family without them smacking you or smashing you... and that's it! xD

Mr. Mosquito was an odd quircky game that I found myself addicted to a few years back.. ADDICTED I tell you.. It had a very Katamari like...feel to it, in the sense that the game itself had a weird concept.. xD As a Mosquito, you must suck the blood of the Yamada family without them smacking you or smashing you... and that's it! xD

How about the hidden game programmed into mosquito? I think it had something to do with a bike wars on a cliff or something...

How about the hidden game programmed into mosquito? I think it had something to do with a bike wars on a cliff or something...

Hidden game!?! Googlar!! Here I come!!!

You need to hit something on the main start up screen, i forget the code...

I see it now!! After all these years... how could I have never known!?! I feel like I missed out on a 30 second treasure!!!

wrexness   

yes!

Oooh, that is a good series of games. >w< It's always fun trying to figure out the logic of how each piece is always related and trying to figure out how to find the ideal combinations.

The Mystical Ninja (Ganbare Goemon) series. I played the N64 ones then they were only in Japan, but I've played a few, not all though. From the ones I've played they are good for sure.

Edited by GITS SAC Motoko

I defintely wouldn't call Persona Obscure anymore IMO. It's pretty mainstream.

But for me...hmm lesse...

Well Bangai-O Spirits. (Or Bangai-O) for the Dreamcast.

Games made by Treasure. So Side scrolling fun that is never easy. NEVER. lol

I didn't Fire Emblem was obscure. If so, yeah, it's one of my favorite series. That and the defintely more obscure

Super Robot Wars series.

just a taste of what we are missing.

Edited by XenoBlade

wrexness   

I enjoyed Fire Emblem but was never able to beat one because I can't stand perma-death and was just never good enough to keep everyone alive.

Does this count as obscure?

Considering the rumors about there only being 200 or 300 copies out there, and the obscene eBay price... Glad I got mine for $70 back in '05. I've played the heck out of it but kept it in mint condition.

It's basically a Zelda-ish dungeon crawler with randomly-generated maps, for the SwanCrystal (and Wonderswan Color), a Bandai handheld which never saw its way stateside. It uses dice to determine every amount of damage dealt, both giving and receiving, as well as the amount of health replenished by using potions.

Well Bangai-O Spirits. (Or Bangai-O) for the Dreamcast.

Games made by Treasure. So Side scrolling fun that is never easy. NEVER. lol

BROFIST. Edited by Sir Viver

Kasin   

Oooh, that is a good series of games. >w< It's always fun trying to figure out the logic of how each piece is always related and trying to figure out how to find the ideal combinations.

Yes!, and finding the different combos, and endings. I love RPG Grow

nah.

@wrexness, it took me a while, but i recently recruited every character, and finished the entire game without losing a single character; it was pretty insane. maybe give it a try now that you're smarter than when you first tried it?..or just recruit less people or whatever. i know in the second DS game, you can at least train your soldiers freely, so that's probably a bit easier to handle.

man..it's SO satisfying to gain victories without losing a single person in that game, though! winning a battle in general is pretty satisfying on its own, because you have to simultaneously plan ahead and think on your feet all at once.

Edited by Keiichi-chan

wrexness   

The last one I played to any great extent was the sans-subtitled one they released on the GBA some time ago. I remember being frustrated because there was no way to go and just level characters (at least not one I was aware of). I forget exactly what stage it was, but there was one where you were forced to have Character X in your party, but I'd not used her at all so she kept getting destroyed.

Edited by wrexness

Does this count as obscure?Considering the rumors about there only being 200 or 300 copies out there, and the obscene eBay price... Glad I got mine for $70 back in '05. I've played the heck out of it but kept it in mint condition.It's basically a Zelda-ish dungeon crawler with randomly-generated maps, for the SwanCrystal (and Wonderswan Color), a Bandai handheld which never saw its way stateside. It uses dice to determine every amount of damage dealt, both giving and receiving, as well as the amount of health replenished by using potions.

BROFIST.

The fun thing is, I just randomly picked up Bangai-O (since it was treasure) and it was ultra addicting. Treasure never lets me down. I swear. lol

nah.@wrexness, it took me a while, but i recently recruited every character, and finished the entire game without losing a single character; it was pretty insane. maybe give it a try now that you're smarter than when you first tried it?..or just recruit less people or whatever. i know in the second DS game, you can at least train your soldiers freely, so that's probably a bit easier to handle.man..it's SO satisfying to gain victories without losing a single person in that game, though! winning a battle in general is pretty satisfying on its own, because you have to simultaneously plan ahead and think on your feet all at once.

I think the most satifying is when you get your promoted characters so powerful, you can put them out on a column (for the evade and def assist) and have them destroy the opposing forces.

Or just use Hector. At any time. Dude is a beast. (I wish they brought more FEs to america. I love that series to bits)

Dude...that is too epic. lol I wouldn't have had the patience to do that.

It involved taking a screencap of the opening frame of "Never Gonna Give You Up," calculating the number of horizontal and vertical spaces in a 4x4 screen stage in Bangai-O Spirits, resizing the screencap to that size in pixel height/width, converting it to grayscale, blowing it up to about 10x its original size (so I wouldn't get eyestrain trying to look at the individual pixels), adding a grid separating all the pixels (in bright green, for contrast, with wider lines to separate the game's "screens" so I wouldn't get lost while working on it), starting a new slate in Edit Mode, opting to use the black & white terrain scheme (which shows up in grayscale on the overhead map), then manually placing terrain blocks-- one by one, using my best judgment for which of the 20+ shades of gray in the screencap should translate to one of 4 or 5 shaded blocks in the game-- to form the image.

All of that, just to transfer an internet meme to an obscure DS game. Decided to be creative in the actual stage design; I placed orange napalm-spewing enemies around his cheeks to symbolize his freckles, and his nostrils both dispense infinite health kits; can be returned to if needed, since I designed the stage to be pretty tough even with them there.

Transferring the stage via sound-load is a pain in the butt (I tried, for testing purposes, with a friend's DS... it took 30+ tries for it to actually work, with his finnicky the sound-loading is) but if you have a flash card and want to try it, I could send you the .sav file, which contains a few other stages I've made. The Rick Astley one's just my "pride and joy" of the bunch.

Edited by Sir Viver