• netflix it first
    • streamed it from anime network
    • read the manga first
    • barrowed it from a friend
    • downloaded it
    • herd good things about it from friends
    • other, something i missed

i was wondering how you ppl go about and pick your anime you want to buy

wile your walking around the con floor... so i thought id post this little poll..

to see what the masses do...

me

TekoMuto   

you know those half off bins? thats where I go. TONS of deals there. LOTS of great anime that aren't bastardized by narutards and summerf4gs. Also grab bags are fun too. Also sunday, the prices are very haggilible with the vendors.

got any questions more about being thrifty, just gimme a message ;3

Voxx   

I go by pretty much all of those choices! :lol:

Most of the time I read the manga first, or I borrow series from a friend, or I find a boxset at a cheap price that I've never seen and I buy it and marathon it. XD Bargain Bins rock.

obakasan   

Off trailers/previews on other DVD's

Browse selections at rental stores (scarce/sparse)

Seen hacked to death version on commercial TV or not too badly hacked up version on Anime Network or the like (which I have to do a friend's houses cuz I ain't got cable).

Sometimes get interested after reading the manga first

Sometimes borrowed it from a friend

Heard good things about it from friends or written reviews

Just plain browsing dealer's shelves and/or on-line (eBay listings for example) If it sounds interesting I may give it a try. Especially if it's cheap...

It depends. I love watching trailers(not just anime ones... I love trailers in general) and if the anime has an interesting trailer, I'll try to see if it's streaming anywhere like Funimation, ANN, etc, then I watch it. If I like it, it gets added to my 'to-buy' list. And once I have the money, I buy it. x3

As for unlicensed stuff... well, it's all purely by recommendation through friends and just by general hear say. And once it's licensed, if I liked it, I will most definitely buy it.

As for what makes me pick what I buy at the con, I usually make a list of what I want, starting from the most wanted and going downward and focus on what I've been pining over first and then slowly dwindle down. x3

I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure I haven't purchased anime since, uh, 2006 I think.

I might one day buy it though, if ever given a good enough incentive to.

sammy-45   

I let my brothers buy it first, then let them watch it first. If there is anything I might like they let me know, and I barrow it from them.

Saves a lot of money.

Valkyrie   

I go by hearsay, usually. My husband and his friends are always hunting down a new unlicensed anime or three to watch at any given time, and Jamie usually watches it when I'm in bed/getting ready to sleep. Based on what he says (there have been times when he will go about getting the entire series if he knows I'll enjoy it, and there have been some he's gotten specifically for me), I'll sit down and watch it with him. And if I REALLY enjoy it, I'll hunt it down at cons and buy the series set once it's licensed. (That said, like my hubby, I'm incredibly picky on which shows are worth keeping, particularly over dub quality.)

I'm with Teko...I usually check the bargain bins before I buy any new anime. On my summer trip, I found just about the entire Robotech series for $4 a DVD. (The same goes for manga--a lot of bookstores, like Borders, have used manga at very cheap prices, and usually the books are in good condition.)

Other than that, if there's a series I'm interested in but haven't watched yet, I either rent it or borrow it from friends--usually the latter. I don't stream anime after a bad experience with a site that downloaded a virus along with my anime goodness. (Well, not really goodness...it was A Wind Called Amnesia, which actually kinda sucks.)

If there's an anime that I HAVE TO HAVE, I usually try and wait until ACen. The exhibitors usually have anime cheaper than I would buy it at my local video store (average price there is about $25-30 for a DVD; I've never paid more than $20 for anime at ACen). The local game shop also carries anime, but the guy there is pretty much an anime noob; he thinks he can sell obscure series, or pieces of obscure series, for $45 a pop.

Ben Da Mad Irishman

"His comics are cheaper"

Jello   

I generally just borrow it from friends most of the time. Every once in awhile ill find a series and watch it online. I am however EXTREMELY picky about what ill willingly watch on my own, so i tend to not watch alot of anime. A series has to be really really good to catch my attention.

I guess I don't have a set method for finding new anime. I usually go through phases of watching things, for example I was really into space operas last year (until I came across Heroic Age) sorry I just kept looking for similar series online. I suppose I've also taken many recommendations from my friends. I don't really like to buy things at cons though. I like being able to research and purchase from the comfort of my computer.

S1NN3R   

I'm very fortunate through work. I get a heads up on new series coming out and get to preview. If its getting licensing, I get it for really cheap. I love my job.

I'm very fortunate through work. I get a heads up on new series coming out and get to preview. If its getting licensing, I get it for really cheap. I love my job.

and your job is.......

of you dont mind me asking

me

Cover design and translation. I do work for ADV and Funimation. I also help with the video streams for Funi.

cool job(err jobs), but would that be conflict of interest...

me

I try to stay away from anime about which there is much hype. Even though I probably miss out on cosplay opps, I am so inundated by the cosplayers themselves that I am tired of seeing the characters before I even see the anime.

Most of the time I choose an anime because of character design, the title, or by reading the synopsis on the back. Second from those, a good recommendation from either a friend or a review I read somewhere.

We can pick more than one option? This question is weird. I stream anime if the series is long. I pick anime when I watch a good trailer that catches my attention or if someone suggests one to me but it's usually the former.

S1NN3R   

cool job(err jobs), but would that be conflict of interest...

me

Nope, ADV no longer is active so I followed my accounts when Funi aquired the rights.

Guest KaoruChan*   
Guest KaoruChan

My best friend showed me a few she said I might like so I went to a Coles book store and looked at one of them. I now own all the Manga from Vampire Knight that are out :3 And Im getting Ouran (but the Ouran copy I have atm is signed by greg <33)

Matt   

How I rent: At my local video store, and either whatever catches my attention, is liked by friends, or (not so much lately) received good write-ups from the media.

How I buy: Usually Best Buy, and only if it's a series that I know I will like (from having seen it before) or that has received glowing reviews from many people (which worked well when I bought Cowboy Bebop and the 1st season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, but not so well with El Hazard).

What is this "Buying" that you speak of?

This.

Haha, I don't remember the last time I actually bought an anime because I wanted to see what it was about. That's a little too much of a gamble for me. I usually get interested in a series based largely on character design. I'll sometimes see a picture or cosplay of a character with an awesome look, so I try to dig up what series they came from. Then I'll look up a trailer or synopsis and go from there. Usually I'm really lazy and just keep it in the back of my mind to "watch later", which never really happens.

If it's a series over like, 15 episodes, I'll download it. If it's less than that, I'll see if Netflix has it, or if I can find it on YouTube, haha. Very seldom do I hunt down and purchase a series, except for Hellsing Ultimate, which REALLY NEEDS TO HURRY UP. I'm not including the Loveless box set which I couldn't resist getting for such a steal, same with the Cowboy Bebop set, which was on clearance at my local animu store. X3 ...Also I might add that an entertainment resale store around here has really cheap anime and manga, I've never actually thought of picking stuff up there since I usually go to get games, but I just might take a look through their anime now. o_O

...I am plagued with verbal diarrhea, all of my posts come out way too long. XD Sorry.