Anime Central Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Flame_Alchemist2002

Vampire Knight dubbed

I loved this show...but not a huge fan of the dub that was released. I have to say though, Vic did a really good job voicing Zero! Yuki in my opinion sounds like she is 9 years old...and Kaname...well he's ok, but not great.

Anybody else watch the dub yet? What are your opinions on it?

Ashori   

I'm hoping to convince my mom to take me to Best Buy in order to see if they have a copy.

If not, I'll be ordering it off of TRSI in a couple of weeks. XD

Ashori   

To clear up confusion for later, back on Tuesday Viz released the first volume of Vampire Knight on DVD, containing the first four episodes: uncut, dubbed, and subbed. Pretty much a year after they announced they got the rights to the first half of the series (and still no word on Guilty). The second volume is due out in September with the next four episodes.

Honestly, I'm very curious about the dub. The VAs playing Kaname and Yuuki (Ethan Murray and Mela Lee) I'm not very familiar with, but all of us should be very well familiar with Vic Mignogna. His role as Zero should be interesting: it'll either be very good or extremely horrible pertaining to Zero's (and eventually Ichiru's) character. The rest of the dub cast is pretty easy to recognize as well.

How many episodes were there for VK? I can't remember if it's in the twenties or something, I will probably buy the DVDs. I prefer boxsets, so I'm a little sour at the way they are doing it... buuut I did watch VK online and I think I should support it. *shrug*

How many episodes per disc too? If it's anything lower than 4, I'm out. lol

mcduck   

That's disappointing. My roommate and I were looking forward to re-watching it with the dub. Him, my girlfriend, and I were hooked when it first came out and it's easily one of my favorites.

@Cherry Wolf: There's about 26 episodes split into two seasons... if I remember correctly.

Edited by mcduck

It was one of my personal favorites too, but...the dub was just utterly horrible. I couldn't stand to watch just one episode of it -_-;

Shiki, Rima, and Zero are the only voices that did well in the dub..everyone else is just...ehhh...

S1NN3R   

V K was indeed a good series, dubs, not really a fan. I'm not antidub but I'm not feeling it in this case.

Ashori   

How many episodes were there for VK? I can't remember if it's in the twenties or something, I will probably buy the DVDs. I prefer boxsets, so I'm a little sour at the way they are doing it... buuut I did watch VK online and I think I should support it. *shrug*

How many episodes per disc too? If it's anything lower than 4, I'm out. lol

13 episodes per season, however I believe that Viz only has rights to the first season, not the second season.

The whole boxset vs. singles debate...on this particular title, I don't think it's too bad. Compared to lots of Viz's singles moves, such as placing Bleach and Naruto Shippuden on singles with 200+ episodes each, a 13-episode or 26-episode series on singles really isn't too bad when put into that perspective.

Discs 1 and 2 have 4 episodes a piece. I will assume that Disc 3 will have the last 5 episodes, unless Viz decides to be money-greedy jerks and go two discs with three and two episodes a piece - which wouldn't be a smart move on their part.

13 episodes per season, however I believe that Viz only has rights to the first season, not the second season.

The whole boxset vs. singles debate...on this particular title, I don't think it's too bad. Compared to lots of Viz's singles moves, such as placing Bleach and Naruto Shippuden on singles with 200+ episodes each, a 13-episode or 26-episode series on singles really isn't too bad when put into that perspective.

Discs 1 and 2 have 4 episodes a piece. I will assume that Disc 3 will have the last 5 episodes, unless Viz decides to be money-greedy jerks and go two discs with three and two episodes a piece - which wouldn't be a smart move on their part.

Ah! Thank you! 4 episodes per disc is not bad at all!! I will be buying the first season then x3

And Viz fails anyways for not releasing the next Monster Boxset. I've had the first since Christmas last year... I'm still waiting for that second one!!

Ashori   

Okay, picked up the first volume at FYE today. Popped it in my computer this evening and watched the first episode.

I'm first most a dub fan, but for the VK dub, I absolutely REFUSE to watch more of this in the dub. It's horrid. My quick review.

The opening montage, introducing little Yuki and Kaname (Kah-nah-may? That sounds so weird. Anyway.) - The way that the lines were spoken was as if they were speaking to a bunch of retards. I'm like "Really? Are we that stupid to not understand what you're saying? What. Is. White?. Just go What is white?!". -_-

Doesn't get better when we get into the start of the episode and the rest of the way through. Yuki sounds way too squeaky and trying too hard to sound like her Japanese counterpart (and failing miserably, might I add). When the Night Class is introduced, Hanabusa and Aidou aren't too bad (I like Aidou better in the Japanese), but Kaname is way too bored and monotoned...and sounds like he's trying to speak like a 3rd grader. x.x Zero is the only saving grace, mainly because Vic Mignogna didn't make him sound like an emo Edward Elric (Zero kinda sounds like a young Death Scythe mixed with a little bit of Edward when he's yelling...which isn't bad). The other characters I can't really comment on since they only had one line or so, but honestly I really didn't want to hear more after the first episode.

The other downside to this is that Viz doesn't bother to sub the opening and ending credits. I know I selected the dub track, but honestly, even on the dub track the opening and ending credits could've been subbed - they were on the Naruto DVDs; why not Vampire Knight?

Overall, I do recommend getting the DVDs, but just get them to watch the superior sub version. The dub will probably make your ears bleed...or make you shake your head and go "WTF am I watching?".

It was one of my personal favorites too, but...the dub was just utterly horrible. I couldn't stand to watch just one episode of it -_-;

Shiki, Rima, and Zero are the only voices that did well in the dub..everyone else is just...ehhh...

I feel the exact same way. I was so excited, but I really can't stand most of the voices......especially Yuki.

Ashori   

The boxset for the series just came out, so if you're were waiting for that to come out, there you go. If you're lucky, you can actually find it at Wal-Mart for $30 - that's where I got mine.

It's a nice-looking set, with a cute slipcover case of Zero and Yuuki on the front and Kaname on the back with the description and stuff, then the case's wrap has a blood-coated image of Zero and Kaname (aka if you like them, it's drool-worthy). The case is also no bigger than a regular DVD case, so it's space-saving. The two DVDs are dual-layer, with the only extra being a relationship chart on the second A-side and a bonus Chapter One excerpt. That may be the only irritation for people besides the annoying dub.