Anime Central Forums
Foolish Humon

You Should Read This!

Okay I'm going to dish out a gauntlet of awesome series to read...

The first three are all by Fujisaki Ryu

Houshin Engi

It's kind of hard for me to explain the plot of this series, mostly because it's been forever since I've read it but it is based off of an old Chinese legend/story sort of like how Saiyuki is based off of A Journey to the West. It is about Taikoubou a boy who must rid the world of evil gods/demigods and basically keep the whole world in check. This is Fujisaki Ryu's most popular series and there was a (i hear horrible) anime based off of it called (in the states) Soul Hunter.

Waq Waq

This is another great series by Fujisaki Ryu. It is a short series (only about 5 volumes long) about a post apocalyptic wasteland ruled by machines and they main character's quest to overthrow it. At first it does sound very unorigional but I can't explain how unique it is without spoilers! If I'm not mistaken the final volume has been released by Viz so you can go out and read the whole thing!

Sakuratetsu Taiwahen

Okay this one is just freaking awesome. This is a comedy about a guy and his family trying to protect his house from aliens, people from the future, demons, amongst other things. This series will never be released in the states, and for good reason. It has inappropriate jokes. It also has one of the best endings I've ever read.

Slam Dunk

Sports manga!? Damn right it is, and it is fantastic! If you couldn't guess by the name it's a manga about basketball. It was hands down the best sports manga I've ever read and another one of the best endings for a series I've ever read. I'm sure Keiichi-chan can vouch for me on this one.

k, one more... :P

Shaman King

I was surprised that not that many people know about this fantastic series. I mean people have heard of it or may have saw the anime (4kids *shudder*) but the manga is a great read. The story is about a boy who wants to become shaman king which is basically the messiah.

Jesus and Buddah where past shaman kings

I don't know, this series really spoke to me on a deep level. The action is pretty spiffy too! XD

Okay, that is all for now, I'll be posting billions of more recommendations soon enough, hahaha.

Edited by Foolish Humon

Lina   

I love Slam Dunk and Shaman King!

I suggest Eyeshield 21, Whistle and Prince of Tennis. Great sports manga. I know Felf can vouch for me on E21. ;D

Eyesheild 21 was good! Probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite sports manga. Though Prince of Tennis was one of the only series I stopped reading in the middle. I couldn't finish it. And tennis is my favorite sport!

Quick reccomendation ^^;

Mr. Fullswing

Baseball manga, funny, cool. I hate baseball but I love this manga.

slam dunk is really good, because it introduces and focuses on the character first, and slowly as things move along introduces the sports elements; that and the hilarious comedy make it by far the most accessible and easy to get into sports manga.

also: the art is completely, jaw-dropping, detailed by the end.

Edited by Keiichi-chan

Yes, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is pretty awesome. I concur! Air Gear is pretty good too (it's really freakin' weird right now) I enjoy the constant Obama cameos. ^_^

It's been awhile, should I recommend some more manga? :w00t:

No? Too bad!

Buso Renkin

A series by the guy who made Rurouni Kenshin. It's about a boy who is killed by a homunculus and is brought back to life by a kakugane which gives him the ability to create a weapon to help him fight the homunculi. Nobuhiro Watsuki is one of if not my most favorite manga artist and this series shows his talent for action scenes! Go out and pick it up, it's only 10 volumes long.

Sand Land

A short story by Akira Toriyama (the guy who did Dragon Ball). The world has has become barren from a long drought and an ex-soldier requests the help from a devil to solve the crisis. It's only one volume long, and it's really good.

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

Here is a really wacky comedy manga. It is about a man with the power of Fist of the Nose Hair which he uses the to defeat the evil Hair-Hunt Empire. Unfortunately, it is impossible to start this series from the beginning because Viz has licensed the series but started it about half way through the series. Despite missing out on the "plot" of previous story arcs you can still pick it up and enjoy it.

I'd also like to give you people the opportunity to state what you are looking for in a series and maybe I or someone else can point you in the right direction! ^_^

now that onemanga is closing, this thread has become more prescient than ever!

gotta finish the lucifer and the biscuit hammer this week, i guess.

great series, a little bit of everything: compelling characters, a bit of quirky style and humor, animal mascots, an interesting overall plot with some good twists. yeah, it's really hard not to like this series. did i mention some amazing action scenes - some ecchi's there, too, since it's a seinin.

4/5 stars, highly recommended.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one reading Beelzebub and Kuroko no Basket.... *tumbleweed goes by*

lolol but there are a lot of great reccs on here! I will have to check many of them out :thumbup:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one reading Beelzebub and Kuroko no Basket.... *tumbleweed goes by*

lolol but there are a lot of great reccs on here! I will have to check many of them out :thumbup:

I read Beelzebub and Kuroko no Basket.

Beelzebub started off awesome and I was really looking forward the series, but I feel it has really lost it's originality and has just turned into a cliche high school punk beat-em-up series.

Kuroko no Basket is pretty spiffy because it adds a nice twist to the sports manga genre and is a good read.

I read Beelzebub and Kuroko no Basket.

Beelzebub started off awesome and I was really looking forward the series, but I feel it has really lost it's originality and has just turned into a cliche high school punk beat-em-up series.

Kuroko no Basket is pretty spiffy because it adds a nice twist to the sports manga genre and is a good read.

yay someone who likes Kuroko!! ;w;

As for Beelzebub, I'm sticking with it in hopes that Oga goes completely demon later on, or at least more demonic power is used. Other than that, I totally agree with you.

Asuka Hybrid: ecchi but it has a guy who gets turned into a girl and lives in an all girl's dorm with a trap. It's different because it has girl on girl as well as guy on guy hints ._. (one of the students likes women a bit too much!) REALLY tripped out.

Nononono: Same guy who made Elfin lied (so you know it's kinda meh ecchi,) a girl who wants to join the men's only olympic event of ski jumping.

Prunus girl: Basically a boy mets a girl...or is it a boy...or is it a girl... =_= It's crazy and funny.

Hourou Musuko: The only series that made me cry besides Grave of the fireflies. Basically a boy and a girl wants to be the opposite sex and their trials and tribulations with the world. They met a lot of people on the way.

Most of these are on Mangafox as well as other sites but Hourou Musuko is coming to the USA...finally T_T

Most of the manga I read are just a mangafication of the same anime series to save time from watching the whole series, though there are times when I watched the series and read the manga...

Like my first recommendation Rurouni Kenshin- great battle scenes and characters, plot is well-paced and interesting, and of course the Jinchu arc which is basically the arc of Rurouni Kenshin that was left out of the anime since it dropped in popularity after the 2nd filler arc.

Also recommend GTO, also great characters and very humorous.

I might check this out like...as soon as possible >w<

Also Arakawa under the bridge: if you like crack humor, romance, and crazyness then this manga is for you. It's...hard to explain but it's good.

Lina   

i watched five minutes of the beelzebub and lost interest even quicker than i did with the manga. it feels way too much like the yakuza version of gashbell to me..

Oh my gosh! Same here. I couldn't even watch half the episode it was so bad. XD I will stick with Cromartie. lol

Edited by Lina

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro is pretty crazy cool.

Neuro is a Being from the underworld, who likes to eat riddles and mysteries and since he had heard that mysteries abound in the world above , he comes surface side in search of the ultimate riddle capable of satisfying his insatiable hungerHe arrives in front of Yako Katsuragi whose father has been murdered, and smells a tasty riddle... and in turn helps her.Neuro forces Yako to act as a detective and they together go in search of riddles to solve.

I've read so many good manga, but I can't recommend all of them (the list is too long to type...). However, I will recommend a few of my top faves as of currently :] (In no particular order...):

~*~ Tramps Like Us (Kimi wa Petto)

Actually, this one is my favorite manga of all time. I absolutely love Momo!! :heart:

~*~ Dengeki Daisy

Not your typical Shoujo manga... gotta love the delinquent janitor ;]

~*~ Black Bird

Pervy humor, just love it!! >:D

~*~ Lovely Complex (Love*Com)

The creepy faces that Risa makes always made me lol!

~*~ Fruits Basket

A master piece~ Makes you want to become a better person after reading it... or at least it made me want to o_o

~*~ Fairy Tail

I felt that I had to throw a Shounen into here, haha. But seriously folks, it's pretty good, jam-packed with action and comedy! Happy = adorable. And it's not a million chapters in, so you can catch up pretty fast right now.

Anyone read Yotsuba&!?

I thought about reading it, I read the first few pages.

I'm not so sure about it yet.

So freakin' adorable! I love Yotsuba, she's so innocent! I couldn't help but laugh while reading this. It makes you feel happy inside~

Edited by Sanae Fauchs

msd121   

Alot of these are series I've read, and I must agree that these are good recommendations.

If I were going to recommend one series, and only one, that I don't think many of you have read, it would be PositioN, by Ashinano Hitoshi. True, at 73 pages (it was axed after the 7th chapter) it's short enough to be considered a one-shot, I still be considered a series because the separate chapters aren't closely related to each other. The simple slice-of-life story-lines and beautiful artwork combine to make it an excellent series to read when you're really worked up about something.

I might add more later.

A book it is not for everybody what is very good, then I have been reading is the drops of god. Very hard to explain in that is sexy book about wine. It is another great addition to the vertical publishing lineup, which is geared towards older crowds then most publishers.

Here's what the Plum is devouring:

Sailor Moon and Codename: Sailor V (because it's FINALLY back in print)

Yotsuba&!

Wolfs Rain (no where near as good as the Anime, but I understand it's just a supliment)

Trigun (MUCH MUCH better than the anime, and don't hate, because I really like the anime as well)

railas   

I've read so many good manga, but I can't recommend all of them (the list is too long to type...). However, I will recommend a few of my top faves as of currently :] (In no particular order...):

~*~ Dengeki Daisy

Not your typical Shoujo manga... gotta love the delinquent janitor ;]

~*~ Lovely Complex (Love*Com)

The creepy faces that Risa makes always made me lol!

I love these two~

Dengeki daisy is great, because the story is just so deep for a Shojo manga. Kurosaki is quite hilarious, the way he puts on a different face half the time with his mean act.

Lovely Complex, oh my, this series never fails to make me laugh. Rika/Otani's squabbles are priceless. XD @ You're right, those faces! XD Love it so much.

Other than those two, I also like Fruits Basket, though its not really my top fav.

I also recommend:

Pandora Hearts

Wonderland with a dark twist. The more you read it, the more confused/drawn in you get. The plot twists in this once it gets going, my gosh! OAO I mean shock after shock!

Are you Alice?

Another wonderland twist, you can tell I like wonderland related stuff neh?

Very dark, and Alice? Alice is a guy, which I thought was a nice change of pace.

Alice in the country of hearts

While I'm on the "wonderland" spree, I'll mention this. Its sad that the sixth book will never come out due to tokyopop dying. I've heard that Yen Press is making ominibuses, but since I've got the first five, that'll be rather bothersome. Never did like those giant manga volumes.

Tsubasa

Classic Clamp work that most of you have probably already heard of. But worth mentioning nonetheless.

Nabari no ou

Ninjas-what else can I say?

I would like to recommend The manga Ooku: the Inner Chambers by Fumi Yoshinaga. There are 6 volumes so far. The story deals wit a Red Pox that attacks and kills 80% of all Japanese males and the resulting changes in society and the social structure. Both the writting and the artwork are very well done and the subject matter while adult is not offensive.

I would like to recommend The manga Ooku: the Inner Chambers by Fumi Yoshinaga. There are 6 volumes so far. The story deals with a Red Pox that attacks and kills 80% of all Japanese males and the resulting changes in society and the social structure. Both the writting and the artwork are very well done and the subject matter while adult is not offensive.