Anime Central Forums
Foolish Humon

You Should Read This!

Okay there are a few series that I think I would like to recommend to everybody on the ACen forums, some I've not recommended before and some I have.

Lock On!

A new series in Weekly Shonen Jump about a professional photographer attending high school with some fantasy and comedy elements. I know that some people don't like to start series that is very long running so now would be a good time to start this series because it is slightly longer than one volumes worth of chapters. Read it here

Toriko

An action martial arts manga about food and cooking. Whatever you do, don't read this series when you are hungry! The first volume has now been released by viz so you can pick it up at Borders or wherever you buy your manga.

Bakuman

A manga about writing manga by the creators of Death Note. Though I do want to read the series that are written in this series.

Sket Dance

A comedy series about a high school club where the members help out their fellow class mates with their problems. This is one of my favorite series running in WSJ. Check it out here.

So if you have read any of these series let me know what you think, and for everyone else post all your manga recommendations here! Let all share our manga gold with each other. ^_^

Edited by Foolish Humon

I read Bakuman weekly. I've found that the journey watching the two mangaka creating new series is one of the best aspects of it. I'll probably look into Toriko because I make it my goal to see as many series about food as possible. (Already watched Yakitate! Japan and read Kitchen Princess). As far as manga I recommend, well you've already posted there recently.

Voxx   

Hmm my must reads are Chrono Crusade, Paradise Kiss, Basara, Banana Fish, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Monster, Uzumaki, Saikano, and FMA. Oh and Voices of a Distant Star and Bokura Ga Ita ^.^

Everything I read is pretty mediocre...

...maybe Mushishi. The style used is far different than your cookie-cutter manga. It's just like the anime. If you haven't seen that, it's about a traveler/doctor/shaman(?) who goes around a semi-feudal Japan helping people interact with Mushi( bug-like beings with supernatural powers). Each chapter is a new story, no long continuous plot-line, but each story is good by themselves. Not everything has a happy ending.

erik, i'd take down the bakuman link considering it's been licensed in the US by viz already.

they've already shown up to about issue 3 in the north america shonen jump, i believe.

i keep trying to get into toriko, but the art style seems so anachronistic and the concept doesn't seem all that interesting. what's the appeal of it? it seems like fist of the northstar with food. is it comedy? is it action?

erik, i'd take down the bakuman link considering it's been licensed in the US by viz already.

they've already shown up to about issue 3 in the north america shonen jump, i believe.

i keep trying to get into toriko, but the art style seems so anachronistic and the concept doesn't seem all that interesting. what's the appeal of it? it seems like fist of the northstar with food. is it comedy? is it action?

I didn't know that viz licensed Bakuman. :/

For me the appeal of Toriko is that it is just ridiculous, I don't know if it's supposed to be, but it is. I'm into the weird attacks, characters, and character goals. Toriko's goal in life or whatever is to create the the perfect full course meal. It's just really weird and I like that. Also, maybe it's just me, but I'd really like to try the food they have in that sereis. XD

I didn't know that viz licensed Bakuman. :/

For me the appeal of Toriko is that it is just ridiculous, I don't know if it's supposed to be, but it is. I'm into the weird attacks, characters, and character goals. Toriko's goal in life or whatever is to create the the perfect full course meal. It's just really weird and I like that. Also, maybe it's just me, but I'd really like to try the food they have in that sereis. XD

so it's an action-comedy? like bobobobo?

or comedy-comedy?

Edited by Keiichi-chan

I think its supposed to be just an action adventure story like Hunter x Hunter.

lololol, REALLY?

oh, okay. yeah, i'll definitely give it another shot. i hear nothing but good things about the series.

Edited by Keiichi-chan

lololol, REALLY?

oh, okay. yeah, i'll definitely give it another shot. i hear nothing but good things about the series.

I bought the first volume even though I already read it. Id say it's defiantly in the top 5 of current WSJ series.

redx1   

Hey All,

I stickied this topic. This is a very nice "Manga Recommendation" thread. This will help prevent multiples of these threads showing up. Enjoy!

Hey All,

I stickied this topic. This is a very nice "Manga Recommendation" thread. This will help prevent multiples of these threads showing up. Enjoy!

Why thank you!

We did it guys! A sticky thread! Party at my house! :thumbup:

Lina   

I recommend Keroro Gunsou/Sgt. Frog to anyone and everyone. It's hilarious and addicting. My sister introduced me to this series last summer.

Here's the summary from Wikipedia:

"Both the manga and the anime focus on the steadily deteriorating conditions of the Keroro Platoon, a group of two-foot-tall frog-like invaders from the planet Keron of the gamma storm cloud system, who continuously try to conquer the world, but fail miserably each time. The platoon's leader, Sergeant Keroro, is easily distracted, and would rather spend his time making plastic Gundam models and surfing the Internet than destroying Earth, much to the chagrin of the bellicose corporal, Giroro. Aside from Keroro's laziness, the largest obstacle in the way of their mission is the Hinata Family, a trio of humans in whose care Keroro finds himself after the Keron army deserts him on earth. Keroro is kept busy with manual labour and constant abuse, primarily from the family daughter Natsumi. Aside from Keroro, there are four other members in the Keroro platoon. Each one of these find themselves in the care of a human, who are all tied to the Hinatas in some way throughout the events in the Anime and Manga."

The Keroro Platoon consists of:

Sergent Keroro (Keroro Gunsou)

Corporal Giroro (Giroro Gouchou)

Lance Corporal Dororo/Zeroro (Dororo/Zeroro Heichou)

Private Second Class Tamama (Tamama Nitohei)

Sergent Major Kururu (Kururu Sochou)

Each adventure is fresh and new and always makes me laugh no matter how many times I read 'em. I highly recommend this series. It's definitely one of my favorites.

Edited by Lina

I love Sgt. Frog! (I read the American release XD) I was at a Borders and I saw a new series had come out and it was called "Sgt. Frog" so I knew I had to buy it. XP

I am a few volumes behind now, I need to catch up!

Lina   

Yay! Another Sgt. Frog fan!!! I am currently on volume 13. Volume 19 comes out this month!

Here are a few more series I'll recommend...

Kinnikuman

Most people may be more familiar with the spin-off of this series Kinnikuman Nisei, or known over here as Ultimate Muscle. This is a really old series that ended a few years after I was born. XD The series starts off as a parody of Ultraman, so if you have never seen Ultraman the it might start out a little slow for you. But later as the story progresses it becomes a fantasy wrestling series with a load of absolutely ridiculous moves and characters, if you've seen Ultimate Muscle you may know what I am talking about. It's also a good series to read because it was one of the first more fantastical action series and set the bar for later WSJ series like Dragon Ball.

Zombie Powder

This is the first serialized series by Tite Kubo (the creator of Bleach). I've heard mixed reactions about this series, some love it and some hate it. It is a series about a man searching for the rings of the dead to create the Zombie Powder. Warning: this is a canceled series, so there is no real end to the story, it just kind of stops. If you buy the volumes (all now released in America) you can also read a bunch of other one shots that Kubo did and get into his mindset about the horrible depression he had when it was canceled. Don't worry! He created Bleach, he is doing just fine! ^_^

Currently reading Blade of the Immortal, love the art style and storylines. No filler!

Recently went snooping around and found "Umi no Misaki". I read all 67 chapters in one day and I am honestly reading it for the character development and romance more than the ecchi stuff. Apparently, the author also made Ai Yori Aoshi, which I have never watched. So that's it for now.

Voxx   

I think everyone should read Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro. Its a great series and has finished in Japan (202 chapters) so you can read the entire thing without waiting months and months for it to finish. Its a mystery shounen and heres the summary copied from onemanga:

Neuro is a Being from the underworld, who likes to eat "riddles" and "mysteries" and since he had heard that mysteries abound in the world above , he comes surface side in search of the ultimate riddle capable of satisfying his insatiable hunger. He arrives in front of Yako Katsuragi whose father has been murdered, and smells a tasty riddle... and in turn helps her. Neuro forces Yako to act as a detective and they together go in search of riddles to solve.

I really enjoyed this series and the anime is pretty good and follows the manga (but has a different ending) so I recommend reading it first and then watching the series. I have even cosplayed from this series so its one of my favs. :thumbup:

Here are a few manga of the horror genre, but I find them funny (as I do most horror movies) and are both by the same author and are pretty short:

Uzumaki

The terror of spirals!!! O_O

Gyo

Scary fish with legs!!! Also, volume 2 had two short stories that are hi-larious!

Voxx   

Hahahaha Uzumaki is amazing. I hope I never become a mosquito vampire when I get preggorz. @__@ That freaked me the * out! Theres a couple of cute references in the books too, like a Gamera turtle randomly lol