Anime Central Forums
redx1

Durarara

redx1   

Who's watching it? I'm on episode 14 and I'm completely hooked. One of the better animes I've seen in a long time.

Scott   
Who's watching it? I'm on episode 14 and I'm completely hooked. One of the better animes I've seen in a long time.

I have been. That's why it was so fun running into a Celty cosplayer in the dealers room at ACen. :thumbup:

Ranko   

I was honestly thinking of making this very thread... I love this anime.. but why must it be so short.... only 5 more episodes to go? =/

redx1   
Just be happy that DRRR is getting 24 episodes. It originally was only suppose to have 12.

I don't see how. DRRR doesn't fully pick up until episode 12. It just got really good haha.

BTW, does anyone know the meaning behind the name? And how does Durarara and Drrr mean the same thing?

Scott   
BTW, does anyone know the meaning behind the name? And how does Durarara and Drrr mean the same thing?

I assume it's the sound of a motorcycle. When they show those interludes I think they use katakana and make it look like a sound ヅラララ (frequently used technique in manga).

Edited by Scott

redx1   

Ah, that makes sense. I think there's a word for that in specific in the Japanese language (where a word represents a sound.) Hard to explain, it doesn't make a lot of sense in the English language.

wrexness   
Ah, that makes sense. I think there's a word for that in specific in the Japanese language (where a word represents a sound.) Hard to explain, it doesn't make a lot of sense in the English language.

What? A word for a a written representation of a sound? In English that's onomatopoeia. Unless you mean something else.

Scott   
I've heard of the series, but I have no idea what kind of anime it is, or what it's about.

It's available on crunchyroll.com free.

Could someone throw up a recomendation/explination of the show, given this much interest and acclaim amongst the forum, my interest is piqued, but I respond better to people raving about stuff rather than wikipedia stoicly informing. What's the hype?

redx1   

It's one of the harder animes to explain without spoiling the plot. It's extremely elaborate and you don't discover a lot of the key elements to the story until about episode 12. I'm going to give it a shot though.

Essentially, the anime is about gangs of Tokyo. These color gangs keep running into the main characters with no real explanation. Mikado is a student from a small town who just moved to Tokyo. He's there studying and he meets one of his best friends 'Kida' and they show each other around town. Many events happen to cause these guys to end up in sticky situations with these gangs.

While that is going on, you learn a lot about Celty who is known as the headless rider. She's known as that because, well, she has no head. She's a creature of Irish folklore called a "Dullahan." When you meet her, she appears to be a mercenary of sorts executing missions that these gang leaders pay her for.

I honestly don't know how to explain it anymore without spoiling haha. It's extremely elaborate. I enjoy the series so much. I've enjoyed it enough to change my avatar out of fandom :P . I hope this helps.

I absolutely love DRRR. I'm not looking forward to it ending soon here, considering how new episodes are always one of the high points of the week. But at the same time, I can't wait to see what happens. D:

I'm only up to episode 7. I just got back into watching as much anime so i have alot to get into. :3 But i am planning on watching the rest. And having some discuttions with my ani-buddy!! :3

Ranko   

Loved the ending, loved the show it will be intresting to see if anyone picks it for N/A DVD rights.

Oh man... if they give Shizuo a bad voice it will kill the whole show for me... he is so awesome lol.