Anime Central Forums
skyrune83

Unethical Fandom?

mmy-sama   
Ugh... Don't even get me started on what shows the networks choose. I just found out the other day that I have IFC, which has, gasp, ANIME! ... Oh but wait, it's crappy fanservice shows like Gunslinger Girl and Witchblade. <_<

Currently, SciFi Channel is the only channel showing decent anime, like Gurenn Lagann and Gundam 00, but they're on at such a ridiculous time that it makes me want to pull my hair out!

And forget about Adult Swim - they killed anime as soon as they stopped showing it on Sundays, when PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY AT HOME WATCHING TV.

This is precisely why nowadays I only watch fansubs. Theres never good anime on TV ever, plus DVDs are still, way too damn expensive. lately they've been starting to lower prices a lot for some titles, but others are still around $30 a disc, and that it highway robbery. The thing is, if it weren't for free fansubs from sites like animesuki, I would not be an anime fan anymore. Back when i was in college I started thinking "this crap is getting too damn expensive, and lame, and it's not worth my time." But, since they have fansubs, I watch them. If they didn't have fansubs, I wouldn't watch anime, I'd watch videos on hulu, play freely distributed computer games, emulators, things like that. I just haven't got the money for anime, and if i did, I'd find something better to spend it on, like college tuition. The way I see it, the American distibutors fail to provide me with goods and services at reasonable prices, so I take my business elsewhere. Capitalism. Plus, only a small percentage of that money finds it way to the studios, keep in mind theres overhead, plus retail markups. Suncoast is not some charitable organization we should donate money to.

I find it hard to believe that the people will actually buy the things. That just the way humans work.
Hey, some of us dirty pirates actually pirate things for evaluation purposes, and then buy them if we appreciate them. Such morality may be sparse in the pirate community, but I'm just throwing that out there.

Hey, some of us dirty pirates actually pirate things for evaluation purposes, and then buy them if we appreciate them. Such morality may be sparse in the pirate community, but I'm just throwing that out there.

Ah, a ghost thread! Hmmm...well as long as I get a cut of rum I'll look the other way. Some things change. I still don't get pirated stuff but don't judge as long as the person knows that its pirated. I guess another reason would be if the series hasn't/will never come to the states. Japanese dvds will cost and arm and a leg more than the US's, and its cheaper than getting a region free player as well. To each their own I guess.

Ohki   

Hi, I'm just here to eat my words re; "Hetalia probably won't get licensed", as it did. My point still stands for scanlated versions of the strips, though. The webcomic is 100% free. Himaruya didn't create Hetalia with any intention of hitting it big; he was just a college student drawing comics in his spare time and sharing them for the fun of it. I will definitely be buying the DVDs, though, and the published version of the manga, assuming the news that Tokyopop licensed it is true ( gdit why Tokyopop? ;; )

But all that said, this whole argument is difficult. I see nothing wrong with an unlicensed title having a strong fanbase that was born of fansubs. The problem is when the fanbase doesn't cough up the cash for the licensed version, assuming it does get licensed. Sometimes it's justifiable. I wouldn't expect a Shaman King fan to try to track down the 4Kids DVDs of Shaman King, for example, assuming those even exist. I also wouldn't expect a Detective Conan fan to buy the DVDs for Detective Conan; 3-4 episode per disc singles for a 400+ episode show?! But at the same time, I know Oofuri had a pretty good-sized following, so why didn't FUNi's Oofuri DVDs sell? They had the entire first season (which was all that was out) in a nice thinpak set for a pretty reasonable price, and yet it sold so poorly that they're not even considering licensing season 2.

People that want to complain about the price of anime DVDs these days horrify me, though, I'm sorry. Box sets don't cost $200 anymore, guys. You can get 13 episodes for as little as $35. I bought the first season of Glass Mask mostly on blind faith, me being desperate for a theatre-based anime and having had it recommended to me, and I paid $30 for it. That set has 26 episodes. Granted, it was on sale and the normal price was around $50. But still, anime is reasonably priced these days in most cases. We're certainly getting better prices than Japan, anyway. And don't you dare give the "they get it on TV!" excuse. Cable in Japan is still something that you have to pay for, and from what I understand it's pretty expensive. Not to mention it's not like anime is on all the time. It's mostly late night and Saturday morning. (My info on Japanese TV comes from various podcasts involving interviews with people that have lived in Japan)

Is it horrible that I was laughing while reading this thread? I know this is a fairly recent thing, but...guess what, guys? Hetalia's getting licensed by FUNimation. Anyone wanna place bets on who Vick's gonna play? I'm thinking America...

Anyway, just a few things I wanted to point out:

1)

Which means people are fans of illegal shows. Wow... I am shocked that this many people are illegally downloading these shows - I can't tell you how many people I've met on this forum that list Hetalia as one of their favorite shows.

I know someone mentioned this on the first page, but if it's not licensed in the U.S (or whatever the home country is), it's not illegal. The problem is when people download stuff that's already been licensed. I don't know what the status of Soul Eater was when you made this thread, but Hetalia wasn't licensed yet, therefore, it wouldn't have been illegal for you to watch it.

2)

Then why are anime distributors failing? And why can I not find decent anime on TV anymore?

In regards to the first question, maybe it's because of a little thing called recession. Now, I could be wrong, because it's hard to stay up to date on the news as a college student (I manage maybe an hour of news each week), but for a lot of people, the financial situation is definitely not good. I don't know about you, but I can't eat anime. Anime can't clothe me. Anime can't pay the bills.

As for the second, as many people in this thread have already stated, a lot of distributors actually decide what to license based on the popularity of the fansub. So if you can't find good anime on TV anymore, it's probably because a lot of anime fans these days have really taste, or something. Not to mention the fact that it's the network that decides whether to air a show or not, not the fans or distributors.

Add in all of the people who decide they would rather rent than buy (for financial or spacial reasons), and it's pretty clear why the companies are failing.

Edited by Kaay-chan

I see nothing wrong with an unlicensed title having a strong fanbase that was born of fansubs.

Thank you.

God forbid people like things that haven't been stamped with an international price tag and licensing that oh so kindly allows others to view foreign material.

Paying the bills doesn't allow everyone to have an extra $100 to blow on anime DVD's and manga. I wont say I'm sorry for torrenting at times either. But if I like a series, I'll buy it.

Take my Rurouni Kenshin DVD box set. I could gave paid up to $200-$400 for it. I paid $70 on ebay for the entire series, brand new. Can't say I never paid money for my fandom. But you wont find me throwing cash away either.

Hetalia is something I need to see first to know if I'll even like it or not. I wont be waiting until it hits the stores at an ungodly price to check it out. Conservative peeking, I call it.

Thank you.

God forbid people like things that haven't been stamped with an international price tag and licensing that oh so kindly allows others to view foreign material.

Paying the bills doesn't allow everyone to have an extra $100 to blow on anime DVD's and manga. I wont say I'm sorry for torrenting at times either. But if I like a series, I'll buy it.

Take my Rurouni Kenshin DVD box set. I could gave paid up to $200-$400 for it. I paid $70 on ebay for the entire series, brand new. Can't say I never paid money for my fandom. But you wont find me throwing cash away either.

Hetalia is something I need to see first to know if I'll even like it or not. I wont be waiting until it hits the stores at an ungodly price to check it out. Conservative peeking, I call it.

Actually, I think $70 is the normal price for RuroKen box sets. If I remember correctly, that's about what I payed for the first and second seasons each. As for Hetalia, FUNimation tends to price their dvds pretty fairly, I think. I bought both of my Yu Yu Hakusho box sets for $25, I believe, which is a pretty good price considering the fact that each one has 27-28 episodes. And, just out of curiosity, why not do your "conservative peeking" via Netflix?

Actually, I think $70 is the normal price for RuroKen box sets. If I remember correctly, that's about what I payed for the first and second seasons each. As for Hetalia, FUNimation tends to price their dvds pretty fairly, I think. I bought both of my Yu Yu Hakusho box sets for $25, I believe, which is a pretty good price considering the fact that each one has 27-28 episodes. And, just out of curiosity, why not do your "conservative peeking" via Netflix?

I don't like credit cards, thus I do not have one. So if I were to have Netflix, it would be directly billing my bank account which has bitten me on the hand before due to some monthly payment just going through. I used to have Netflix, but I don't even have the time to get my monies worth because of work.

Also, when I got the Rurouni Kenshin box set, I noticed in stores that the first and second box (Which both came together in my big one) were being sold separately for $150-$200 at the time. I bought this years back. 6-7 years ago I think. You couldn't get the box set I had in stores at the time, or at least not that I had seen.

I don't like credit cards, thus I do not have one. So if I were to have Netflix, it would be directly billing my bank account which has bitten me on the hand before due to some monthly payment just going through. I used to have Netflix, but I don't even have the time to get my monies worth because of work.

Also, when I got the Rurouni Kenshin box set, I noticed in stores that the first and second box (Which both came together in my big one) were being sold separately for $150-$200 at the time. I bought this years back. 6-7 years ago I think. You couldn't get the box set I had in stores at the time, or at least not that I had seen.

Really? because I'm fairly sure I bought the first season roughly 4-5 years ago (good God, has it really been that long? O.O *feels old*) What stores were you looking at? I got mine at Best Buy (the second season I bought last year at ACen, which, to be honest, is where I buy most of my DVDs).

Really? because I'm fairly sure I bought the first season roughly 4-5 years ago (good God, has it really been that long? O.O *feels old*) What stores were you looking at? I got mine at Best Buy (the second season I bought last year at ACen, which, to be honest, is where I buy most of my DVDs).

Suncoast Video, JP Toys, FYE... It's definitely been a long time. I'm not surprised at all that it went down in price, but man was I boggled when I saw the price tag for the first box set. $189.99, no joke. My jaw dropped. I've looked at other stores I can't remember in a few other malls that had them, but oddly enough, I got my box set from someone who must have ripped off Suncoast and sold em' for dirt cheap in comparison to what you'd pay in person. The last box set to the season... I think it was something like $213.99. An odd price, I remember that much. I was just horrified.

Ohki   

Also just for the record, hardcore fans of series WILL actually buy the Japanese tankobon and/or R2 DVDs just to support the series, even if they don't understand Japanese and/or don't have a DVD player that can play R2. I actually have a copy of the limited version of the first disc of Hetalia that I bought to show my support and for the special CD.

@Kaay-chan: Actually, downloading unlicensed titles IS still illegal. Their copyright protects them even in countries that they're not licensed for sale in under the Berne Convention. And yeah, Rurouni Kenshin was expensive back in the day. Pretty much everything was. I remember paying $200 for the first season of Fushigi Yuugi (what was I thinking?).

I would like to say that I did not down load Hetalia, I friend showed it to me & I plan on buying the DVDs as soon as it comes out. I only use online sites to view anime to see if I like it before buying. In this case, loved & must own all merchandise!