1. 1. Year

• 1976-1980
    • 1981-1985
    • 1986-1990
    • 1991-1995
    • 1996-2000
    • 2001-2005
    • 2005-

Since the day I was birthed. No really. Actually to be technical I was watching anime when I was in the womb of my mother. I liked in Asia back then and my mom was really into sailor moon and watched it when she was pregnant with me.

I've been watching anime for so long. We go so far back, I'm talking since my birth in 1990 and then later with the original Fox Kids and the original Toonami. I didn't even know it even WAS anime until one of my friends pointed it out one day when we were in middle school.

I guess I started watching anime since Pokemon started...except back then I didn't know what anime was and actually thought that Pokemon was made by Americans....and every so often I thought of ways to write to the producers of the show on how an awesome job they were doing with the show...I miss being seven... :(

Normandy   

The first anime I ever watched was Pokemon when I was about five years old. However, it wasn't until I watched Azumanga Daioh in 2006 that I became interested in anime in particular.

The first Anime i ever really watched knowing it was anime were on toonami after school and sailor moon in mornings. However I do know for a fact that the first anime i ever did see was both Gunsmith Cats & bubblegum crisis: 2040

to this day i dont know many who know about these animes or BBCs classic counterpart. lol

Speed Racer, Voltron, and Hello Kitty when I was probably six years old so about 1995, I remember re-runs of Transformers too but I'm not sure if that'd count really, it was animated in Japan but written in America. Once the original Toonami started though I was totally obsessed :)

To be completely honest, not too long ago at all. I've seen a couple episodes of this and that, but I've only completed a couple of series as well as a small handful of movies.

obakasan   

One reason I can't pin a start date down is trying to decide if what showed up on early American TV could be considered "anime" after it had gotten so butchered by the translators/re-writers/TV networks. Yes I watched Speed Racer and all, but it was more of an American cartoon by the time it got on network TV.

Should we define "anime" just as "animation?"

as "Japanese animation" (that was essentially only the visual portions and the story/script pretty much totally American)?

Japanese animation that at least retained *some* elements of the original Japanese story/culture?

Japanese animation that has retained a goodly portion of it's original story and culture?

In some ways I'd have to say my first true "anime" was Dirty Pair (c. 1985) that I watched in original Japanese that had a *printed* translation you could read as you watched... (Was either on video tape or laser disc, don't remember).

id say just about any anime in general no matter how butchered should count. if it is indeed an anime that got you into anime then it should be allowed. we were all brought into this world somehow lol :)

Hantsuki   

I guess I started watching anime since Pokemon started...except back then I didn't know what anime was and actually thought that Pokemon was made by Americans....and every so often I thought of ways to write to the producers of the show on how an awesome job they were doing with the show...I miss being seven... :(

This is the same for me. I started getting into the hype of anime in middle school when I found out what it was.