Anime Central Forums: [request] bag check / lockers - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[request] bag check / lockers requesting bag check or at least lockers

Poll: Would you use a locker if ACEN had one? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you use a locker if ACen had one?

1. Yes (6 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. No (9 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   mer2329 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 29293

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:49 AM

for a local convention this convention is highly anti-chicagoan.

so once again i can't (and won't) go to ACen because i won't be able to go to many events i would want to because i carry ALL my bags.

as a local who sees no reason to check into a hotel other than to store my stuff for events where i cant bring them into the event. plus i don't drive.

there are many alternatives to bag checks that are an option to look into (due to ACen's reason of "cant afford a bag check service's costs", which i understand)

in the past i was told to stick my bags in the corner and hope they don't get stolen.
you can consider event lockers https://www.google.c...+event+lockers.
i looked into these briefly and there are services that will provide both the lockers and staff as long as they can charge their own fees.

if you do go the locker route do note that i would need a locker big enough to fit landscape orientation wall scrolls, and would happily pay $50 for the entire event for the services.
the main location for the lockers would be near panels/events with a no bags policy

if ACen does get lockers, the next ACen i would able to attend is ACen 2018

This post has been edited by mer2329: 19 April 2017 - 08:50 AM

True Words of Wisdom
Those Who Fall Asleep In Fruit Drink
Often Gets Punch in Nose

#2 User is offline   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 21997

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

Lockers would run into the same problem as a bag check. There would have to be room for enough lockers for at least half of the con attendees. Someone would have to watch these lockers to make sure they don't get broken into. Unfortunately there is no good solution except to see if a friend with a room can hold your stuff for you
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

Cosplays for ACen 2017 and progress made

Greg Universe (5% complete)

#3 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

Yeah, like magishine said, for over 30,000 people there would be no way for even heck 1,000 people to get a locker. There isn't ROOM.

I live VERY local, and have both done the separate drives/trips to ACen and hotelled. What is it that you have so many bags you need to carry? Can you invest in a large backpack to carry your things? Ever since I invested in a quality backpack, carrying things at con has been awesome, and I have never had to make trips to a friend's room for my things, or even my car. If you're cosplaying, and want to bring food--you can always bag food in giant gallon ziplock bags and bring cosplays with you, depending on their size ( do this all the time, heck I even pack actual meals in my backpack). Or, even make a sacrifice and cosplay only one character per day or something since you don't have a place to put another costume if it's too big. If you go to like sports or camping sites/stores heck even military surplus you could find a really nice, LARGE and comfortable backpack that could hold things. And if you're concerned with space, bring a refillable water bottle or even high quality protein bars and just eat two "real" take out meals that day.

For scrolls, I just put them in my back pack and they stick out a little. No one has ever yelled at me for it. If you're super concerned about them getting damaged, wrap them in saran wrap or even a circular package that you could get anywhere--even walmart. All the events except for the dances you can bring in bags--even concerts. I have brought in a backpack and also a messenger bag into concerts without issue. Hope this helps!
ACen 2017 Cosplay
Friday: General Esdeath (Akame Ga Kill!) (98% d/t touch ups and re-doing sword)
Saturday: Major Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell ARISE variant] (100%)
Sunday: Either Major Motoko Kusanagi from GITS S.A.C. 2nd GIG or Esdeath again. Help me decide D;
RIP Origa <3

COME SEE MY PANELS!!!

"Let's Form a Stand Alone Complex!" Saturday, 12:30 PM – 2:15 PM Panel Room 13 DESCC
"My Ghost Whispers, Therefore I am" Saturday, 3:45 PM – 5:30 PM Panel Room 13

#4 User is offline   BriGuy7132 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 70085

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:23 PM

Also people may steal stuff from the lockers, I had stuff stolen from my locker at x-sports. People carry those giant bolt cutters :thumbdown:
Anime Con's attending this year so far: ACen 2017 for sure!!!!! (Maybe AnimeMidwest 2017 & ConAltDelete 2017)
>>>>Job's at Con's:<<<<
--Anime Central 2016 - Staff Member of Exhibit Space Dept.

---Anime Central 2017 - Staff Member of IRT Department!!!

>>>>Cosplay: GenderBent/Neo Hungary, Madao / Hazegawa from Gintama & Leo / Loki from Fairy Tail!!!

#5 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:39 PM

If your willing to drive to the con because its local why not put it in your car?

If you want those lockers its much cheaper to park than to rent a locker that wont even be there.
ACen 17"
Sombra, From Overwatch
Tohru, From Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#6 User is offline   opimus.rm 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:30 PM

View Postmer2329, on 19 April 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

so once again i can't (and won't) go to ACen because i won't be able to go to many events i would want to because i carry ALL my bags.

as a local who sees no reason to check into a hotel other than to store my stuff for events where i cant bring them into the event. plus i don't drive.

there are many alternatives to bag checks that are an option to look into (due to ACen's reason of "cant afford a bag check service's costs", which i understand)

in the past i was told to stick my bags in the corner and hope they don't get stolen.
i looked into these briefly and there are services that will provide both the lockers and staff as long as they can charge their own fees.

if you do go the locker route do note that i would need a locker big enough to fit landscape orientation wall scrolls, and would happily pay $50 for the entire event for the services.
the main location for the lockers would be near panels/events with a no bags policy

They could if they got rid of some the djs.

This post has been edited by opimus.rm: 28 May 2017 - 08:31 PM

I'm just a Mazinger in a rock and roll band!

#7 User is offline   randy r 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 523

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:08 AM

View Postmer2329, on 19 April 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

I believe we beat this dead horse last year. In fact, you brought it up last year:

https://www.ACen.org...ding-this-year/

The reasoning from last year still stands. Where would you put it? Who would be responsible for it? Who would control the space? If you opt for the outside groups like you suggest, does ACen control the area and take part of the profits? Or do the outside groups? If the outside group controls the space, are they responsible for renting the space separate from ACen? How many lockers are you talking- 5000, 10000, or more? Depending upon the size of the scroll- height, not length, you would need something at least 2 feet tall. Plus, you are saying it should be close to panels. Only space left on main floor is in area next to Artists' Alley. Can you get even 1000 lockers there?

Since you live in the Chicago area, do you drive to the con? If so, do what i do. Make trips to your vehicle and store stuff there. I have done this EVERY year I have gone to the con. I only lug around bags for part of the time. Or, do as Motoko has suggested, and just carry a backpack to put stuff in. There are very few venues where you cannot take a backpack or messenger bag to.
randy

What, me worry?- Alfred E. Newman

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users