Anime Central Forums: Would dressing as Tiana from Princess and the Frog be a no go at ACen? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Would dressing as Tiana from Princess and the Frog be a no go at ACen?

#1 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

Allow me to explain. Tiana from Princess and the Frog is one of my favorite (if not my favorite) Disney heroines. She's smart, clever, determined, honest, there's just so much cool about her that I admire! I love her as a character and I would love the chance to cosplay her in a few years (I have a list for the next two ACen's already booked for what to cosplay and her dress is a bit complex to build), the thing is, I'm white.

I know from reading on various sites that there are a verity of opinions on this. At cosplay.com people seemed fine with this idea, they say to go for it. On the other end you have people on Tumblr saying not to do it as there are a ton of heroines from Disney and other studios to do, why not do them instead. Thing is I really like this character a lot. She's the one princess out of the "official" princess grouping I admire the most, and I would love the chance to cosplay her to show my application of her.

At Anime Midwest I did see a girl who wasn't Asian playing Mulan, along with people saying at a cosplay panel that you shouldn't let your skin tone stop you from cosplaying a character that you love. The issue that I'm coming across is two things:

1. Worry that I would upset people and or confuse them. One suggestion I read for another person wanting to cosplay Tiana was get a blonde wig and say I'm Charlotte borrowing Tiana's dress. Which I think is more confusing then saying I'm Tiana.

2. I've seen reactions on some very authentic looking cosplay of Assassin's Creed Conner and Aveline where the cosplayers happened to have tans and were forced to take down their cosplay picture on Deviant art because of the fact that people were yelling at them over it.

So I'm curious, would people at ACen be offended if I cosplayed Tiana, or would it be okay? I'm rather nervous about posting this because I don't want to start some sort of war over this. :mellow: :(

PS. I have no intention of darkening my skin tone or doing anything of the like for this Cosplay. What you see is what you get.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#2 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:08 PM

I for one wouldn't be offended, but I guarantee you people will be. It pretty much depends on if you think you can handle people being ridiculous about it or not.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#3 User is offline   Twifairy 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 65191

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:55 AM

I can't see why people should be offended, you cosplay what you want to cosplay, regardless of skin tone.
I've seen tons of cosplayers who have a way different skin tone from their characters.
If all cosplayers looked exactly like who they were cosplaying, there wouldn't be a single homestuck cosplayer, VOCALOID cosplayer, Tokyo Mew Mew osplayer, etc. I don't see why skin tone is any different from hair color, etc.
I'm sure people will se the green dress and be fine with it.
ACen 2015 Cosplay-
Saturday: Cinder Fall: 40% done

Anime Midwest 2015 Cosplay-
Friday:Neo (RWBY): 30% done
Saturday: Cinder Fall: 40% done
Sunday:Mikasa Ackerman: 60% done
Progress can be viewed here

#4 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:45 AM

Here's the thing. Tumblr is full of special entitled SJW snowflakes who only once in a while have good points. Now, sure, there are other white princesses you could do. But does that mean that Asians can only cosplay as Mulan? What about only Scots cosplaying as Merida? And only Native Americans as Pocahontas? It's a slippery slope, and it doesn't even apply to just Disney. To say nothing of the fact that I've seen race and genderswaps for all manner of characters, including the Disney ladies.

If you admire Tiana and want to channel her in cosplay, then go for it. Cosplay is not limited to race, gender, body type, or any other feature.

This post has been edited by Valkyrie: 08 July 2014 - 06:04 AM

ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#5 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

I think the general response you're going to get here is "go for it!" And while I agree that you should cosplay what the heck you want, there WILL be people will will make fun of you, snub you, or whatever because they don't like it. "there's like a million white characters, pick one of them!" "There are barely any black characters, leave those to the black cosplayers!" The real question is if you care what other people think. Judging by the fact that you're asking this question, I'm assuming you do care, which is my reason for saying you shouldn't cosplay Tiana. Every fandom has its jerks, and you can be sure they'll say something hurtful, whether by saying it to your face or posting your picture all over the internet as an example of "bad cosplay".

In short, if you love her and can handle the jerks, go for it! But if you're more sensitive, find something else to cosplay.
ACen 2017 Plans
Thursday: Maki Nishikino (Swimsuit, Circus) [Love Live! School Idol Project]
Friday: Rider [Fate/Stay Night], Maki Nishikino (Little Devil) Kisumi Shigino [Free!], Kae Serinuma (Gym) [Kiss Him Not Me!]
Saturday: Layla Hamilton [Kaleido Star] 100%, Zen (Spicy Jalapeno) [Mystic Messenger] Maki Nishikino (Sunny Day Song)
Sunday: Christophe Giacometti (Rapsodie Espagnole) [Yuri!!! on Ice] 100%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takahashi Cosplay

#6 User is offline   BreBre716 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59491

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

8u you should cosplay whoever you want dude. I'm black and yet here I am cosplaying a bunch of video game /anime folks who skin tones is so much lighter than my own. I don't put any cream on my face, I cosplay as I am and I'm proud and have doing so. If you wanna be Tiana then you fricken go for it! Wear that cosplay, rock it and wear it proud! :D There are gonna be buttheads who will be like, yooooo what are you doin' cosplaying a black character? But there are plenty of people who cosplay Yoruichi Shihouin for example that don't have a darker skin tone and don't get much flack [ at least from what I've seen] So why should you? Ignore the butt heads and do what you want :)

This post has been edited by BreBre716: 08 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

ACen 2016 COSPLAY

Minako Arisato/FemMC : Persona 3

Misato Katusragi: Neon Genesis Evangelion
Tidus : Final Fantasy X
Chara : Undertale
Little sister : Boruto Sasuke : Naruto and Frisk : Undertale
Little Cousin : Unconfirmed Pony : My Little Pony Friendship is Magic

#7 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

Everyone is saying go for it. I don't see any problem with it, haven't other people done a gender bend, a white/black/Hispanic/Asian, or sexy versions of a character? No one can look like the character and have the perfect height, hair, skin tone, face, the voice, or the body for it. Sure you might get comments but is it worth being your favorite character. Yes! Be confident and show others they can't take you down with their words.
Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#8 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

View PostMsLovelyCookie, on 08 July 2014 - 04:14 PM, said:

Everyone is saying go for it. I don't see any problem with it, haven't other people done a gender bend, a white/black/Hispanic/Asian, or sexy versions of a character? No one can look like the character and have the perfect height, hair, skin tone, face, the voice, or the body for it. Sure you might get comments but is it worth being your favorite character. Yes! Be confident and show others they can't take you down with their words.

^ THIS.

No matter who you are, you can cosplay. It's a fact. There is no "perfect skin tone" or "perfect height/body shape" EVER. Yes, people may comment, but also think how they may comment how great your cosplay is! Skin color does not matter. If you love that character, then you show it by cosplaying her. No one is limited to who they can dress up as. If people give you garbage for it, show your confidence. What always works for me is "sorry you feel that way," and end the discussion (if someone gives you a nasty remark). Cosplay is for YOU and for YOU to have fun. Who cares what the nasty people think. Go for it girl! :)
ACen 2017 Cosplay
Friday: General Esdeath (Akame Ga Kill!) (98% d/t touch ups and re-doing sword)
Saturday: Major Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell ARISE variant] (100%)
Sunday: Either Major Motoko Kusanagi from GITS S.A.C. 2nd GIG or Esdeath again. Help me decide D;
RIP Origa <3

COME SEE MY PANELS!!!

"Let's Form a Stand Alone Complex!" Saturday, 12:30 PM – 2:15 PM Panel Room 13 DESCC
"My Ghost Whispers, Therefore I am" Saturday, 3:45 PM – 5:30 PM Panel Room 13

#9 User is offline   Piccolo Sky 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 62791

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:11 PM

First, darkening your skin tone would make things infinitely worse.

Second, if you saw a person with dark skin tone dressing up as Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Rapunzel, Elsa, etc....would you be "offended"?

Third...

Here's a little fact about the modern world we live in: if you do ANYTHING unconventional, there is someone somewhere who is going to be pissed about it. The mere fact you're at an anime convention to begin with is pissing off someone somewhere. The fact that any adult would choose to dress up as a Disney Princess pisses off someone else somewhere. You're in for a rather mundane and dull life if you spend the rest of it trying not to offend anyone. The question therefore is whose opinion or feelings or whatever you want to call it you feel is worth paying any attention to and/or respecting and who you feel you do not owe any justification for your choices regardless of their own opinions/feelings/whatever...that they have to just "deal with it".

This post has been edited by Piccolo Sky: 07 February 2015 - 07:14 AM

#10 User is offline   manga1 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 53231

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:46 PM

cosplay has few limits, but just dont show up in burnt cork blackface that will sledgehammer many toes as in the american context it is very offensive to african americans and dark skinned people, now in europe around christmas time people do dress up in rennesance attire and something that looks like blackface, the character was black pete, and his he was moorish so darker skined already and going in and out of chimneys hence the black face and even darker skin but it was part of a saint nick day celebration and predates the american context it was used, but burned cork blackface was used in early performance shows though the vaudaville show period before movies replaced them in popularity, they would make fun of the african americans and the dances and song they would do, it was done expressly to make fun of and nothing more.

and for those not familier with Saint Nicholas, he was a very early Bishop in the Catholic church around 3rd century A.D. and gave money to a poor man for his daughters to be able to get married and not have to become sex workers to make a living, he was the inspiration of Santa Clause today though Santa is based on a bunch of differant myths wound into the story of the character.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users