• This topic is locked

Professionalism

#1 User is offline   jonzmd 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63812

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:37 PM

Dear ACen:

Many improvements this year, but I was disappointed by the lack of professionalism displayed by some of the panelists. I hope you will encourage them to use appropriate language in front of an audience. In more than one of the sessions I attended, the panelists used gratuitous profanity. They need to remember that people of all ages attend their sessions, and some of the language I heard was far from acceptable.

I griped about this last year, but I was once again disappointed by a session that was canceled at the last minute because the panelist did not show up. Is there something that you can do to hold people accountable? (Someone suggested to me at the convention that first-time session leaders should pay for their badge and then "earn" the following year's badge by fulfilling commitments. Seemed like a good idea to me.)

Also, the content one of the sessions I attended, though perfectly fine, was virtually identical to one given by the same panelists last year. What can you do to keep the material fresh?

#2 User is offline   digiexpert 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61101

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

I am in no way ACen affiliated at all, but for the accountability, they could do it like Kollision and other cons; the panelist only gets their discount/free badge if they actually finish their panel. That way no-shows still have to pay, since you have to pay until after panel.

As for fresh content, remember every ACen is someone's first. Just because you have seen a panel does not mean everyone in the room has.

#3 User is offline   jonzmd 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63812

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

View Postdigiexpert, on 20 May 2014 - 09:47 PM, said:

I am in no way ACen affiliated at all, but for the accountability, they could do it like Kollision and other cons; the panelist only gets their discount/free badge if they actually finish their panel. That way no-shows still have to pay, since you have to pay until after panel.

As for fresh content, remember every ACen is someone's first. Just because you have seen a panel does not mean everyone in the room has.

Fair enough.

#4 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 1323

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

Hello,

We actually are planning to switch up how we monitor rooms in the future with our staff. We also have taken note of some panels that had complaints like these filed against them. If you could also contact us and email us the panel in question to make sure we have it on file.

Thanks for the feedback!
Jared "Zerox20" Sangeorzan - Panel Programming ADH - ACen 2003/Present
E: panelprogramming@ACen.org ||

#5 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hey Zero a question, if a "fight" were to have occurred between a panelist and a conger that was a personal issue should we still complain?
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#6 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 1323

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 24 May 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

Hey Zero a question, if a "fight" were to have occurred between a panelist and a conger that was a personal issue should we still complain?

Yes we should know about it. ACen has rules which are part of being given the badge along with the Panelist Policies. It goes back to be being professional while giving your Panel. If its a personal issue with somebody in the audience then the Panelist needs to get with one of our staff to assist at that point.
Jared "Zerox20" Sangeorzan - Panel Programming ADH - ACen 2003/Present
E: panelprogramming@ACen.org ||

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users