Anime Central Forums: 2014 Guest Feedback - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2014 Guest Feedback From Guest Lineup and Schedules to Guest Events and Concerts

#1 User is offline   El Ken 

• Guest Relations Section Chief
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5629

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

Hey All,

2014 is in the books, and while I still haven't even made it home yet (went straight to work today from the hotel), I thought I'd get the ball rolling on feedback for this year.

So, how did it go? What was good? Not so good? Were there issues with conflicting events where you had to choose what to see? Want something more or different from the guest lineup (make requests in the 2015 Suggestions forum; more general comments here)? It's all fair game as long as it has something to do with the guests. I'm looking forward to our discussion.

Thanks!
Ken Leiding

Guest Relations Section Chief (2011- )

Hotel/Convention Site Relations, Retired (2006-2010)

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#2 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

Getting aBe was delightful, and the biggest suggestion I've got for you is more like him please! Actual creators will always interest me more than just voice actors, even Japanese voice actors. Helen McCarthy was lovely as always and I hope you keep bringing her, and also Yutaka Yamamoto. I feel like the whole WUG thing was a brilliant idea even if it didn't appeal so much to me personally. All in all, I'd say this year was a stellar year in terms of quality. I'd just like to see a higher quantity of guests of this level. I'd also like to see more unique quests. I like the fashion guests, but maybe also more other off the beaten path guests would be cool. For example, last year Anime Expo got the CEOs of Good Smile Company and Max Factory. I would kill for guests like that, myself. Or really anything like that; still anime related but a bit more unusual than just seiyuu, mangaka, directors, etc. But also please more mangaka, seiyuu, directors, etc! Just generally less emphasis on American VAs and more emphasis on anything else is what I want.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#3 User is offline   Audri 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 23980

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

Oops maybe I should have posted how wonderful having the Wake UP Girls was for me here instead of over on the guest announcement page :(
2016: Kirari Moroboshi - Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls
2015: Kumano - Kantai Collection
2014: Should have cosplayed
2013: Hayate Yagami - Magical Lyrical Nanoha Force
2012: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni and Ruko Yokune - Vippaloid
2011: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2010: Eva-Beatrice - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2009: First ACen - No Cosplay

#4 User is offline   kakigori 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 65416

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:09 PM

The only guests our group got to see were angela and WUG but from what we did experience they were simply spectacular! Despite not being familiar with most of angela's songs we were pumped up throughout their performance. I think the other attendees would agree too considering we encore'd them back out (for a cover of A Cruel Angel's Thesis too!). The Wake Up, Girls! live was just as if not more fun. The crowd went absolutely nuts when they went and did Hare Hare Yukai. Unfortunately we arrived late on Friday, so we missed their first panel, but we were up in front for their Sunday Q & A which was very entertaining to be at.

For next year I definitely want this trend to continue :D
Musical guests in the Anime industry have not disappointed in the least (was at Kalafina's concert in 2013 too). I already said this when the final guest list was announced but I would LOVE to see either more singers of Anime songs, Japanese voice actors/actresses, and perhaps a virtual diva or two ;). I have a long list of VAs of Japan that I would give an arm and leg to see, let alone meet, but I'll save that for the suggestions thread.

Very good for ACen 2014 and hope to see more next year!

This post has been edited by kakigori: 20 May 2014 - 06:10 PM

#5 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

It was really great seeing hometown boy Crispin Freeman back again after a looooong hiatus from ACen. Having Travis and Laura was delightful and very informative on all their fronts. I missed a few of the VAs that we had, as well as some other events due to sheer number of people. The only thing I can think of is to make sure the panel rooms are the right size for more people to watch some events.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#6 User is offline   SargentJY 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 62054

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

As a big fan of angela, what can I say, having them at ACen is a dream come true for me ;A;
I would be more glad if more people come to angela's events like concert or Q&A, but of course that's the issue of the ACen comers not knowing them rather than ACen's fault.
Beyond that, for angela's events at least, I had lots of fun and really glad to realize I find them even more awesome after meeting them in person. Good job, Ken.
"Now Anime(Visual Novel) may still classed as the niche market these days...but it got such variety...such potential that I am sure will make to the mainstream one day."-ThatDudeInTheSuede

#7 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:27 PM

I really liked how there were a lot more Japanese guests this year than other years. I LOVED LOVED LOVED The Wake Up, Girls! and the Final Fantasy concert. Both were spectacular. I sadly wasn't able to catch ABe, but I agree with consensus more guests like him/manga-ka guests. I know ACen has had some in the past before. :)

When it came to conflict, a lot of the signings conflicted with performances--especially the Saturday Crispin Freeman signing--it directly conflicted with WUG's premiere and singing for CR members. And since I had already seen WUG, and wanted to meet Crispin, I ended up having to choice between the WUG Q&A panel on Sunday from 1-2 and Crispin's signing which was 2-3. (Yes, I know that one was right after the other, but the amount of people that were there when the line formed at 1:30PM [30 min before]--I was darn lucky to have even gotten a spot in the signing, without attending the panel. If I would have gone to WUG's Q&A, I am sure I would not been able to go to Crispin's signing). Other than that little tidbit, I have absolutely no complaints.

The part the peeved me most was how the Final Fantasy line was managed on Friday morning, but I'm not sure if that applies here. XD. I am confident you will get better and better guests for us for 2015, Ken! :)
ACen 2017 Cosplay
Friday: General Esdeath (Akame Ga Kill!) (98% d/t touch ups and re-doing sword)
Saturday: Major Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell ARISE variant] (100%)
RIP Origa <3

COME SEE MY PANELS!!!

"Let's Form a Stand Alone Complex!" Saturday, 12:30 PM – 2:15 PM Panel Room 13 DESCC
"My Ghost Whispers, Therefore I am" Saturday, 3:45 PM – 5:30 PM Panel Room 13

#8 User is offline   randy r 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 523

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:08 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 20 May 2014 - 08:27 PM, said:

I really liked how there were a lot more Japanese guests this year than other years. I LOVED LOVED LOVED The Wake Up, Girls! and the Final Fantasy concert. Both were spectacular. I sadly wasn't able to catch ABe, but I agree with consensus more guests like him/manga-ka guests. I know ACen has had some in the past before. :)/>

When it came to conflict, a lot of the signings conflicted with performances--especially the Saturday Crispin Freeman signing--it directly conflicted with WUG's premiere and singing for CR members. And since I had already seen WUG, and wanted to meet Crispin, I ended up having to choice between the WUG Q&A panel on Sunday from 1-2 and Crispin's signing which was 2-3. (Yes, I know that one was right after the other, but the amount of people that were there when the line formed at 1:30PM [30 min before]--I was darn lucky to have even gotten a spot in the signing, without attending the panel. If I would have gone to WUG's Q&A, I am sure I would not been able to go to Crispin's signing). Other than that little tidbit, I have absolutely no complaints.

The part the peeved me most was how the Final Fantasy line was managed on Friday morning, but I'm not sure if that applies here. XD. I am confident you will get better and better guests for us for 2015, Ken! :)/>

This year's guest list was abfab. Like Motoko, I ended up being very conflicted about whether to go to one panel or another. Or whether to go to a signing. This was probably the first year I did not go to an industry panel, as most of them were occurring as the same time as many of the guest panels or signings that I wanted to go to.
randy

What, me worry?- Alfred E. Newman

#9 User is offline   ranefea 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6584

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

Being in the Artist Alley and running panels made it difficult to go to the events I wanted, and I had panels that directly conflicted with both Final Fantasy concerts and so I couldn't go to those. My husband did get to go to the Saturday concert, however, and he LOVED it (but then we've been to all of the Distant Worlds shows in Chicago so far, too, if that says anything, haha). I do have to mention something bad about his experience in the ticket line, though. When he was in line to get his ticket, one of the staff members sent him on ahead and when he got to the next section he was treated by the next staff members like he was trying to sneak in. Even after confirming with the original staff member that it was OK, they still treated him like he did something wrong. =/

I made absolutely sure I got to see angela, though, and it was amazing!! I have to apologize if my friend and I put anyone out with all of our jumping around and spazzing out during the whole thing. =P
My deviantART
My Cosplay Page

ACen 2015 Cosplay

Friday: Rin Tohsaka - Fate/Stay Night
Saturday: Rinoa - Final Fantasy VIII
Sunday: White Mage (Custom design) - Final Fantasy series

#10 User is offline   JDM 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 18044

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

One conflicting event was the Sixh.IBI fashion show being scheduled for the same time as the independent designer's fashion show.

#11 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

I have some gripes about how signings were handled, but I doubt it'd d much good to put them here so I'll save that more a more fitting place.

The guests themselves - AWESOME. For the English VAs, there were only 2-3 I'd met before, one of them being Travis who I had no issues getting the chance to meet again. I believe I managed to meet everyone but Crispin Freeman, and while that sucked it was good to meet the others.

None of the Japanese people you brought interested me (with the exception of WUG, I'll get there), but that doesn't mean they were bad guests! It was good to see some variety, even if they didn't appeal to me. I was interested in ABe, though not a fan of his works (most I just haven't seen yet.) More guests like him would be great (and hopefully I'll actually know of them xD)

Where to start with WUG...I can really only say it was AWESOME. The concert was great (though painfully short...though I'm assuming that was done for a reason. Would have loved to see more) Getting a chance to actually meet the girls and get stuff signed was AMAZING. When I briefly talked with a crunchyroll booth girl during the signing she said they were very excited so many people were interested in WUG since they were afraid of a poor turn-out. She made it sound like CR was basically 100% responsible for bringing WUG, and I really don't care who should get more credit for that, but if it was mainly in part due to CR, PLEASE continue to work with them! Seeing them was great, and my only "compliant" is not seeing more of them/having a longer concert! I'd LOVE if we could see more anime-based idol groups (AKB0048/AKB48 or Uta no Prince-Sama/Starish anyone?)

And on a final note, can we please make a push for more Friday signings? There were only 2 signings on Friday (3 if you want to count Laura and Travis separate, and I REALLY wish the signings would have stayed split), and both were later in the day. I typically set Fridays aside for getting things signed since fewer people are there Friday and it's easier to get signings. I know I'm not the only one on that train of thought.

But overall, the quality of the guests was great, and I really hope you beat it next year!
ACen 2017 Plans
Maki Nishikino (Little Devil and Sunny Day Song) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 90%
Kisumi Shigino [Free!] 100%
Rider [Fate/Stay Night] 70%
Zen (Spicy Jalapeno) [Mystic Messenger] 100%
Christophe Giacometti (Rapsodie Espagnole) [Yuri!!! on Ice] 100%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takahashi Cosplay

#12 User is offline   El Ken 

• PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:23 PM

View PostJDM, on 21 May 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

One conflicting event was the Sixh.IBI fashion show being scheduled for the same time as the independent designer's fashion show.

Oh wow. I didn't even realize that. Since fan panels (Panel Programming) and guest/industry panels (Guest Relations) are handled and scheduled by different departments, we must have missed it. And since fashion programming is not so abundant at ACen, we will really have to pay attention when scheduling to make sure that doesn't happen again. I'm terribly sorry about that.

Thank you for pointing that out.
Ken Leiding

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#13 User is offline   El Ken 

• PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 21 May 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

I have some gripes about how signings were handled, but I doubt it'd d much good to put them here so I'll save that more a more fitting place.

The guests themselves - AWESOME. For the English VAs, there were only 2-3 I'd met before, one of them being Travis who I had no issues getting the chance to meet again. I believe I managed to meet everyone but Crispin Freeman, and while that sucked it was good to meet the others.

None of the Japanese people you brought interested me (with the exception of WUG, I'll get there), but that doesn't mean they were bad guests! It was good to see some variety, even if they didn't appeal to me. I was interested in ABe, though not a fan of his works (most I just haven't seen yet.) More guests like him would be great (and hopefully I'll actually know of them xD)

Where to start with WUG...I can really only say it was AWESOME. The concert was great (though painfully short...though I'm assuming that was done for a reason. Would have loved to see more) Getting a chance to actually meet the girls and get stuff signed was AMAZING. When I briefly talked with a crunchyroll booth girl during the signing she said they were very excited so many people were interested in WUG since they were afraid of a poor turn-out. She made it sound like CR was basically 100% responsible for bringing WUG, and I really don't care who should get more credit for that, but if it was mainly in part due to CR, PLEASE continue to work with them! Seeing them was great, and my only "compliant" is not seeing more of them/having a longer concert! I'd LOVE if we could see more anime-based idol groups (AKB0048/AKB48 or Uta no Prince-Sama/Starish anyone?)

And on a final note, can we please make a push for more Friday signings? There were only 2 signings on Friday (3 if you want to count Laura and Travis separate, and I REALLY wish the signings would have stayed split), and both were later in the day. I typically set Fridays aside for getting things signed since fewer people are there Friday and it's easier to get signings. I know I'm not the only one on that train of thought.

But overall, the quality of the guests was great, and I really hope you beat it next year!

I'd be interested in hearing about the signings. We have some ideas for improving that logistically, and some outside input would be very helpful.

Regarding CR and WUG!, it was a collaborative effort. Crunchyroll was who started the ball rolling. They came to us with ideas, and we latched onto the Wake Up, Girls! One of my assistants and I met with CR, Avex, Ordet, and TV Tokyo at the Avex offices to hash the details out, and from that point we decided to move forward. In essence, CR provided the way, and ACen provided the means. We will definitely be looking for more opportunities like this in the future.

Friday signings - yes, I hear you. My original concern was for turnout at the signings - that I didn't want to have empty lines - but I now understand your perspective on it. It will be fixed next year.

Thank you for your feedback.
Ken Leiding

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#14 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:05 AM

View PostEl Ken, on 21 May 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

I'd be interested in hearing about the signings. We have some ideas for improving that logistically, and some outside input would be very helpful.

Alright, you asked for it! xD My apologies if it gets a bit rant-y.

On Friday, we were told at the beginning of Laura and Travis' signing the rules were you could take a picture OF the guests (but not with them), and have 2 things signed. So far, so good! An hour into the signing is where things went wrong. They made an announcement that pictures would no longer be allowed and only ONE item could be signed per guest.

There's just so many things wrong with that it's not even funny...once you set rules, they must be followed. They can't be changed half way through the signing. The rule went into affect when I was about 5 people away from Laura and Travis, and being told I couldn't have both the wall scrolls I lugged around all day signed did not make me a happy camper AT ALL. I understand wanting to get more people through to see the guests, I really do, but this is not how it should have been handled. Once rules are set, they're set, and tough luck for those who don't get in (and I say this as a person who has been on the receiving end of the "tough luck" 2 years ago when I spent 2 hours in line Saturday to see Vic and didn't. I wasn't even upset I didn't see him because that's how things work and it was fair. Only getting 1 item signed after being told I could have two? NOT fair.) I'll address how I would fix this at the end.

On to issue number two! I was told Saturday morning I'd lined up too early for the Joel and Bryn signing. The others who were there and myself simply scooted back a little and refused to just "leave and wander the hall for 10 minutes". This was 40-45 minutes before the signing was set to start. About 20 minutes til they finally let us all in. Given that it was the very first signing of the day, so lining up early wouldn't have put us in anyone's way, I don't see why we couldn't line up however early we pleased. Every single year at every single signing people line up early. It's not some new magical thing that just happened and it caught you off guard. This needs to be taken care of, because there were people who tried to line up early, were told line up starts 30 minutes before the signing, and came back 30 minutes before to be told the line was full. That's unacceptable.

My suggestions:

1. DO NOT allow any pictures from the get go. You have a con with nearly 30k people, I'm sure at least 1k want to see each guest, and with pictures you're not getting more than 40 or so people, simple as that. No pictures, 2 item limit? You'll get ~100 people, if not more when done right. If people are dying for pictures, they should do what I do, and snap a few shots of the guests from the front of the line when they get there so they do not waste anyone's time.

2. DEMAND that people have their items out and ready to sign. See someone about to go up to the guests without their things out? Pull them off to the side and allow the next person to go until they are ready. They're being rude and wasting time by not being prepared.

3. Do not let attendees have extended conversations with the guests. Most of the guests are sweet and would love to sit and chat with their fans for a few minutes. But at a convention like ACen, there simply isn't the time. People should keep their conversations VERY brief, to keep the line moving. If they insist they have questions for the guests, inform them "(guest) isn't taking any questions at this time, please come to their panel at (time and place)" It's harsh, but it gets more people through the line. (And of course this is situational. Guests like Laura and Travis have huge lines and need to move fast. Guests like Joel and Bryn had much shorter lines and can afford a little more 1x1 time)

4. Don't change the rules half way through the signing. If you do decide to allow pictures and 2 things to be signed, half way through you can't be like "Well to let more people in you only get 1 thing, no pictures" Rules need to be consistent. It's not fair to those who spent hours in line to not get what they were promised. The people at the end of the line end up not getting stuff signed? Oh well. It sucks, I've had it happen to me before, but it's FAIR. Give them fair warning that "Hey, we're 20 minutes until the end and there's like an 85% chance you're not going to meet the guest"

5. Allow people to line up whenever they want to. Have lines off to the side prepared for this. Vic Mignogna is coming and has a 4pm signing and someone wants to sit in line at 10am when the hall opens and wait all day to be the first to see him? LET THEM. I really don't understand why people can't line up early. They're willing to sacrifice that much time to meet these guests, so let them. You can't tell me this causes a space issue or fire hazard or something when those same people end up loitering around the signing area anyways, causing more of a mess and safety issue than if they were in a predefined line.

6. Keep the two item limit. Reducing things from 2 items to 1 item is ridiculous and really doesn't save any time. It takes a guest like 5 seconds tops to sign an extra thing, provided suggestion #2 is followed.

Think that's all I've got for now. Note, it might sound bad/harsh, but overall I enjoyed myself and was happy with the guests. And I'll add that cutting off the lines and adding overflow lines for those willing to wait just for the slim chance the guest might have enough time at the end was a really good idea.

This post has been edited by Washu Takahashi: 22 May 2014 - 08:10 AM

ACen 2017 Plans
Maki Nishikino (Little Devil and Sunny Day Song) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 90%

#15 User is offline   El Ken 

• PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:42 PM

Thank you for the feedback. We will be revisiting/rewriting the autograph policies this year, so this is the perfect time to take suggestions on it. I'm sorry that the rules got changed up mid-signing, and I agree with you that it shouldn't happen like that. Photo ops and chatting should be on a time-allowed basis, and if a line is too long to get through, it should either be cut off or the Guest of Honor(s) can opt to stay longer to get through some of them (like Vic tends to do), but the policy on items should not change.

Cast/Group signings may have to be done differently as well. If we have a group of 4 up there, there's a good chance that you may want different items signed by each GoH. We'll have to add that to the policy as well. Perhaps, max 2 items per person with some sort of maximum item count? I'm not sure. But yes, I think we need to make sure that attendees are ready to get their items signed before they get up to the table.

Thanks again for recounting your experience.
Ken Leiding

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#16 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

Always willing to try and help! Guests are my main priority at conventions, so I have a lot of opinions on how things should be done based on what I've seen work/not work in the past. Thanks for considering them.

Having multiple guests signing together is very tricky...I personally don't like it. But I get that with the number of guests ACen gets and time limitations it has to be done. When I saw 4 guests were signing together on Sunday I went out of my way to knock them all off on other days since I knew I'd have two items for each one from different series and trying to have 8 things ready to be signed at once would be a trick. Not really a good work around to that...An item limit would suck since you typically bunch the guests with less roles together, and those roles don't overlap by a lot. I'll try and think on it a bit and let you know if I come up with anything, the best I can think of right now would be to have a few staff members assisting people with their things so they move quickly, but I'm sure you don't have the people to spare for that.

A note on the group signings though - DON'T put people like Laura and Travis together. I know they're married and adorable (and because of that possibly requested to be together, in which case you can't really do anything) but putting two big name guests together really sucked. If there were two signings, I feel like more people would have gotten through since some really only cared about one guest or the other. Personally I've met Travis twice before and had never met Laura, but for most other people they were more interested in Travis than Laura. Laura would have been pretty easy to see by herself, but she'd still get a big line, just not as big as Travis can get by himself.
ACen 2017 Plans

#17 User is offline   El Ken 

• PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:52 PM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 22 May 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

Always willing to try and help! Guests are my main priority at conventions, so I have a lot of opinions on how things should be done based on what I've seen work/not work in the past. Thanks for considering them.

Having multiple guests signing together is very tricky...I personally don't like it. But I get that with the number of guests ACen gets and time limitations it has to be done. When I saw 4 guests were signing together on Sunday I went out of my way to knock them all off on other days since I knew I'd have two items for each one from different series and trying to have 8 things ready to be signed at once would be a trick. Not really a good work around to that...An item limit would suck since you typically bunch the guests with less roles together, and those roles don't overlap by a lot. I'll try and think on it a bit and let you know if I come up with anything, the best I can think of right now would be to have a few staff members assisting people with their things so they move quickly, but I'm sure you don't have the people to spare for that.

A note on the group signings though - DON'T put people like Laura and Travis together. I know they're married and adorable (and because of that possibly requested to be together, in which case you can't really do anything) but putting two big name guests together really sucked. If there were two signings, I feel like more people would have gotten through since some really only cared about one guest or the other. Personally I've met Travis twice before and had never met Laura, but for most other people they were more interested in Travis than Laura. Laura would have been pretty easy to see by herself, but she'd still get a big line, just not as big as Travis can get by himself.

You're right about Travis and Laura. I originally had them in separate signings, but they requested to be put together, so we obliged. I would normally try to avoid doing that. We'll get this figured out. We'll work on this for 2015, and then lather, rinse, and repeat. Organizing a con is always a work in progress, and there will always be improvements to make year over year.
Ken Leiding

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#18 User is offline   randy r 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:59 AM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 22 May 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

Alright, you asked for it! xD My apologies if it gets a bit rant-y.

snip

My suggestions:

1. DO NOT allow any pictures from the get go. You have a con with nearly 30k people, I'm sure at least 1k want to see each guest, and with pictures you're not getting more than 40 or so people, simple as that. No pictures, 2 item limit? You'll get ~100 people, if not more when done right. If people are dying for pictures, they should do what I do, and snap a few shots of the guests from the front of the line when they get there so they do not waste anyone's time.

2. DEMAND that people have their items out and ready to sign. See someone about to go up to the guests without their things out? Pull them off to the side and allow the next person to go until they are ready. They're being rude and wasting time by not being prepared.

3. Do not let attendees have extended conversations with the guests. Most of the guests are sweet and would love to sit and chat with their fans for a few minutes. But at a convention like ACen, there simply isn't the time. People should keep their conversations VERY brief, to keep the line moving. If they insist they have questions for the guests, inform them "(guest) isn't taking any questions at this time, please come to their panel at (time and place)" It's harsh, but it gets more people through the line. (And of course this is situational. Guests like Laura and Travis have huge lines and need to move fast. Guests like Joel and Bryn had much shorter lines and can afford a little more 1x1 time)

4. Don't change the rules half way through the signing. If you do decide to allow pictures and 2 things to be signed, half way through you can't be like "Well to let more people in you only get 1 thing, no pictures" Rules need to be consistent. It's not fair to those who spent hours in line to not get what they were promised. The people at the end of the line end up not getting stuff signed? Oh well. It sucks, I've had it happen to me before, but it's FAIR. Give them fair warning that "Hey, we're 20 minutes until the end and there's like an 85% chance you're not going to meet the guest"

5. Allow people to line up whenever they want to. Have lines off to the side prepared for this. Vic Mignogna is coming and has a 4pm signing and someone wants to sit in line at 10am when the hall opens and wait all day to be the first to see him? LET THEM. I really don't understand why people can't line up early. They're willing to sacrifice that much time to meet these guests, so let them. You can't tell me this causes a space issue or fire hazard or something when those same people end up loitering around the signing area anyways, causing more of a mess and safety issue than if they were in a predefined line.

6. Keep the two item limit. Reducing things from 2 items to 1 item is ridiculous and really doesn't save any time. It takes a guest like 5 seconds tops to sign an extra thing, provided suggestion #2 is followed.

Think that's all I've got for now. Note, it might sound bad/harsh, but overall I enjoyed myself and was happy with the guests. And I'll add that cutting off the lines and adding overflow lines for those willing to wait just for the slim chance the guest might have enough time at the end was a really good idea.

I agree with your first four ideas. All good points. However, point 5. Totally against that. It ties into the line policy for the WHOLE con. I don't know how many years you have been going to ACen, but last year was the first year that they really started to get a handle on the line policy set. This year was better, not perfect, but better. What you are proposing would take us back to the bad days of let's start a line whenever we want. You are also proposing having one policy for autographs and another policy for the rest of the con. That, to me, would be a nonstarter.

For number 6, I think that depends upon the guest and also upon the line waiting for autographs. WUG was one item. Period. No handshakes, no pictures, just saying thank you. That was their decision. It might be best to say 1 item at a time. You say a second item might only take 5 seconds to sign, but it does add up over time, thus depriving others of a chance for an autograph. If there is time, get in line again. They have always had the cutoffs. I wish they would announce the cutoffs a little better.
randy

#19 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:11 AM

View Postrandy r, on 23 May 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

I agree with your first four ideas. All good points. However, point 5. Totally against that. It ties into the line policy for the WHOLE con. I don't know how many years you have been going to ACen, but last year was the first year that they really started to get a handle on the line policy set. This year was better, not perfect, but better. What you are proposing would take us back to the bad days of let's start a line whenever we want. You are also proposing having one policy for autographs and another policy for the rest of the con. That, to me, would be a nonstarter.

For number 6, I think that depends upon the guest and also upon the line waiting for autographs. WUG was one item. Period. No handshakes, no pictures, just saying thank you. That was their decision. It might be best to say 1 item at a time. You say a second item might only take 5 seconds to sign, but it does add up over time, thus depriving others of a chance for an autograph. If there is time, get in line again. They have always had the cutoffs. I wish they would announce the cutoffs a little better.

I would think guest signings and things like panels would be two very different scenarios. Though I can't say I have much experience in how anything outside guest signings are run, seeing as this year I only went to two Friday panels and the WUG concert. Still, the later Friday panel I went to I lined up close to an hour early, and there were already a good 30ish people in line. I've been going to ACen for 8 years now, and don't think I've ever been to more than 2 panels in a year mainly because I'm well aware you need to line up at least an hour early to hope to have a half decent spot (and I'm hearing impaired, so I literally can't sit more than 5ish rows from the front or I can't hear for crap) Guests are basically celebrities in their own right, so I think it makes more sense to allow people to wait to meet their favorite star than to wait to see a panel. But that's just me I guess.

Remember that the WUG restrictions were set by WUG, not by ACen or crunchyroll (to my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong). Japanese are a lot more strict about things like that. And don't kid yourself, you know there's NEVER time to get in line again unless it's an unknown guest on a Friday morning xD While I don't like the suggestion of 1 item (cause, you know, for bigger guests I'm going to want 7 things signed and lowering it to 2 is a hard enough choice haha), I can agree that it might be better for the big names, like Vic or Travis. But still don't like it and would rather everyone have the opportunity for 2 things instead of maybe squeezing in 5-10 more people. (Cause even at 1 item, there are those people who will try to have a five minute conversation unless you shoo them away.) And it's not really fair to attendees to change the rules based on the guest.

This post has been edited by Washu Takahashi: 23 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

ACen 2017 Plans

#20 User is offline   randy r 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:39 AM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 23 May 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

I would think guest signings and things like panels would be two very different scenarios. Though I can't say I have much experience in how anything outside guest signings are run, seeing as this year I only went to two Friday panels and the WUG concert. Still, the later Friday panel I went to I lined up close to an hour early, and there were already a good 30ish people in line. I've been going to ACen for 8 years now, and don't think I've ever been to more than 2 panels in a year mainly because I'm well aware you need to line up at least an hour early to hope to have a half decent spot (and I'm hearing impaired, so I literally can't sit more than 5ish rows from the front or I can't hear for crap) Guests are basically celebrities in their own right, so I think it makes more sense to allow people to wait to meet their favorite star than to wait to see a panel. But that's just me I guess.

Remember that the WUG restrictions were set by WUG, not by ACen or crunchyroll (to my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong). Japanese are a lot more strict about things like that. And don't kid yourself, you know there's NEVER time to get in line again unless it's an unknown guest on a Friday morning xD While I don't like the suggestion of 1 item (cause, you know, for bigger guests I'm going to want 7 things signed and lowering it to 2 is a hard enough choice haha), I can agree that it might be better for the big names, like Vic or Travis. But still don't like it and would rather everyone have the opportunity for 2 things instead of maybe squeezing in 5-10 more people. (Cause even at 1 item, there are those people who will try to have a five minute conversation unless you shoo them away.) And it's not really fair to attendees to change the rules based on the guest.

There have been many years when I would get an item signed and then get back in line for another item. Or, I would go to separate signings. Of course, I have never bothered with English voice actors, as I never listen to the English dubs. I have no idea who voices what. It seems those are your primary people that you want autographs for. But you can still try for multiple sessions.
randy

#21 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:46 PM

Ive thought long and hard how to respond to this thread.... I think I'm finally ready.

El Ken - I highly respect you. I appreciate you taking the time to listen and talk with me at the convention. To actually take what I have to say seriously. I really do appreciate your hard work and raising ACen to the level it should be.

That being said I think that ACen has made great improvements this year. However, I think ACen still has a long way to go. People always talk about the days when ACen used to get guests nobody could - I think thats what people want now. Why this changed? Who knows - I know my long time attendie friends believe its because someone higher up in ACen (Semmi Sebastion? I did not know him. I dont know if he's even real or what position he might have held - it was before my time.) died. Some people say someone in GR made someone high up in the japanese industry mad and ruined all the contacts. - Some people just think that people just got lazy or ACen doesnt have enough money to pay guests anymore. Whatever the case it doesnt matter. ENOUGH WITH THE RUMORS AND THE PAST! The focus we need to have is to get back to that point. I know the team is working on that and thats all that matters. We also need to work on securing people earlier and marketing them more. ACen did not grow this year the way it normally does - we need to figure out why. I think part of this is because of the guests and part of that is that ACen is not changing. Its the same event every year- to be interesting it needs to be dynamic. Maybe its time for new blood to come into play.

Now to this years guests- I must say nothing blew me away personally - but I know many people loved the fact that we got ABe and Angela (who AX is also getting this year funny enough). I liked seeing WUG - though not a fan of them before the actual convention- I loved the fact that we got any idol group. I wish the crunchyroll portion went better though. The Final Fantasy orchastra was cool - I hate that I didnt get to go due to other matters entirely. I think perhaps we should have had one paid concert and one free concert vs both free.

Id like to see ACen get more of a balance of guests - for example - 6 Japanese Anime/Manga related guests , 6 Americian and English Anime/Manga guests, 2 Japanese music guests (one free and one not) and anything else left have those go to the non anime/japanese related guests. I'm not even counting the DJ's in this. (I should say, in my mind, while WUG has 7 members - I would consider them 1 guest as they are group and tend to only have that under their belt - plus they are being billed as a unit. The director and producer are seperate though - as they have many connections to anime beyond just WUG.)

My dream guests would be Yuu Watase, Miyavi, Gackt, Hyde (in Vamps, L'arc En Ciel - or just by himself. I just go to look at him. lol) AKB48, Hajime Kamegaki, Hideaki Ann, Masakazu Obara (Director of Mai Otome - one of my favorite anime), and Kotono Mitsuishi. - I do know though that this list wouldnt appeal to everyone - alot of these people are considered old school - sometimes things need to be changed up. Working on balancing the old and the new- and not getting the same people ever year- is what is going to appeal to the most amount of people. They are also going to make ACen stand out and have people traveling from all over to come once again. I want to see ACen thrive. I want to see people come from all over because of how amazing the convention is - not because its tradition. Lets work on making it better than it ever was!

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 25 May 2014 - 03:04 PM

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#22 User is offline   randy r 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 25 May 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

Ive thought long and hard how to respond to this thread.... I think I'm finally ready.

El Ken - I highly respect you. I appreciate you taking the time to listen and talk with me at the convention. To actually take what I have to say seriously. I really do appreciate your hard work and raising ACen to the level it should be.

That being said I think that ACen has made great improvements this year. However, I think ACen still has a long way to go. People always talk about the days when ACen used to get guests nobody could - I think thats what people want now. Why this changed? Who knows - I know my long time attendie friends believe its because someone higher up in ACen (Semmi Sebastion? I did not know him. I dont know if he's even real or what position he might have held - it was before my time.) died. Some people say someone in GR made someone high up in the japanese industry mad and ruined all the contacts. - Some people just think that people just got lazy or ACen doesnt have enough money to pay guests anymore. Whatever the case it doesnt matter. ENOUGH WITH THE RUMORS AND THE PAST! The focus we need to have is to get back to that point. I know the team is working on that and thats all that matters. We also need to work on securing people earlier and marketing them more. ACen did not grow this year the way it normally does - we need to figure out why. I think part of this is because of the guests and part of that is that ACen is not changing. Its the same event every year- to be interesting it needs to be dynamic. Maybe its time for new blood to come into play.

Now to this years guests- I must say nothing blew me away personally - but I know many people loved the fact that we got ABe and Angela (who AX is also getting this year funny enough). I liked seeing WUG - though not a fan of them before the actual convention- I loved the fact that we got any idol group. I wish the crunchyroll portion went better though. The Final Fantasy orchastra was cool - I hate that I didnt get to go due to other matters entirely. I think perhaps we should have had one paid concert and one free concert vs both free.

Id like to see ACen get more of a balance of guests - for example - 6 Japanese Anime/Manga related guests , 6 Americian and English Anime/Manga guests, 2 Japanese music guests (one free and one not) and anything else left have those go to the non anime/japanese related guests. I'm not even counting the DJ's in this. (I should say, in my mind, while WUG has 7 members - I would consider them 1 guest as they are group and tend to only have that under their belt - plus they are being billed as a unit. The director and producer are seperate though - as they have many connections to anime beyond just WUG.)

My dream guests would be Yuu Watase, Miyavi, Gackt, Hyde (in Vamps, L'arc En Ciel - or just by himself. I just go to look at him. lol) AKB48, Hajime Kamegaki, Hideaki Ann, Masakazu Obara (Director of Mai Otome - one of my favorite anime), and Kotono Mitsuishi. - I do know though that this list wouldnt appeal to everyone - alot of these people are considered old school - sometimes things need to be changed up. Working on balancing the old and the new- and not getting the same people ever year- is what is going to appeal to the most amount of people. They are also going to make ACen stand out and have people traveling from all over to come once again. I want to see ACen thrive. I want to see people come from all over because of how amazing the convention is - not because its tradition. Lets work on making it better than it ever was!

You have touched on some very important points. Yes, we used to get guests no one would. Then for some reason, it seemed all we could get were American voice actors with one or two Japanese guests. Now, we are starting to see a return to a balance of International/ American guests. The exception to this is all of the DJs, which we now seem to be flooded with.

Getting guests and announcing them earlier would help. How many times as it been that we didn't get the final guest list until 2 or 3 weeks before the con. Yet we see other cons announcing that they have xxxx 4 to 6 months before the con. Thus they are able to market and advertise the heck out of that, especially if they have a show/album just coming out. I would love to see Hideaki and Moyoco Anno, He for his work at Gainax, she for her manga work. Plus they are married to each other, so maybe that could make it easier.

El Ken, I know you work hard at getting guests. We all appreciate it. This year's guest list on the International side, with WUG, Final Fantasy, Angela, ABe, Helen McCarthy, and the clothing designers was great. As was securing the Cosplay and Gunpla competitions. These were all things that helped grow the con. Yet none of these were really pushed or advertised. Crunchyroll didn't really push WUG. Maybe because it was kind of last minute? It was announced, and then kinda died until CR announced the signings.

I guess what I am trying to say is, Keep up the great work. If you can get and announce guests earlier, do so. If you get a deal like with Crunchroll for WUG, take it, and then advertise and exploit it to the max. Guest lists do help to spur attendance, especially if it is someone alot of people have heard of.
randy

#23 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

View Postrandy r, on 25 May 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

You have touched on some very important points. Yes, we used to get guests no one would. Then for some reason, it seemed all we could get were American voice actors with one or two Japanese guests. Now, we are starting to see a return to a balance of International/ American guests. The exception to this is all of the DJs, which we now seem to be flooded with.

Getting guests and announcing them earlier would help. How many times as it been that we didn't get the final guest list until 2 or 3 weeks before the con. Yet we see other cons announcing that they have xxxx 4 to 6 months before the con. Thus they are able to market and advertise the heck out of that, especially if they have a show/album just coming out. I would love to see Hideaki and Moyoco Anno, He for his work at Gainax, she for her manga work. Plus they are married to each other, so maybe that could make it easier.

El Ken, I know you work hard at getting guests. We all appreciate it. This year's guest list on the International side, with WUG, Final Fantasy, Angela, ABe, Helen McCarthy, and the clothing designers was great. As was securing the Cosplay and Gunpla competitions. These were all things that helped grow the con. Yet none of these were really pushed or advertised. Crunchyroll didn't really push WUG. Maybe because it was kind of last minute? It was announced, and then kinda died until CR announced the signings.

I guess what I am trying to say is, Keep up the great work. If you can get and announce guests earlier, do so. If you get a deal like with Crunchroll for WUG, take it, and then advertise and exploit it to the max. Guest lists do help to spur attendance, especially if it is someone alot of people have heard of.

I know Hideaki Anno is know for Evangelion - but I love his other titles. Especially Gunbuster. (10 times better than Evangelion in my opinion) Nadia: SotBW was amazing - though he managed to make a main character that I can't stand (Nadia). Lol Id also love to have his protege Kazuya Tsurumaki there as well. He directed Diebuster- the sequel to Gunbuster.
"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#24 User is offline   eterniawolf 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59271

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:14 PM

Well, first things first, I'd like to say that the guest variety was really awesome this year! I like both American and Japanese guests, and this year was the perfect year for both in my opinion. I got to meet Crispin Freeman, whom is one of my favorite VAs ever! On top of that, seeing Nobuo Uematsu playing in the Final Fantasy concert was a dream come true! I was also super excited to meet Travis and Laura, but seeing Crispin Freeman and Nobuo Uematsu were amazing. Thank you for bring such amazing guests this year!

Next thing. I'm going to just copy and paste what I wrote on the complaint form, because it needs to be read:

My friends and I were super excited to see Crispin Freeman, Laura Bailey, and Travis Willingham. I already knew we would need to get there early for the signings. I remembered the 30 minute rule from 2013, even though I went to no signings last year...but I knew that the Crispin Freeman signing was going to be pure chaos on Saturday, so one of my friends and I got there early (it was about 3:00ish) and waited towards the back out of the way. We were told to come back later and threatened to not get stuffed signed if we stuck around. Fair enough, we were pretty early and we knew the rules. However. There were two other girls waiting as well. They brought up that it was going to be chaotic. The one of the staff members says to the girls "our shift is up by then, not our problem". I really, REALLY wish I could have gotten their names. That was VERY unprofessional and rude. I understand that it has to be a really hard job, but that was really uncalled for and unprofessional. Well, anyway. My friend and I return about 15 minutes before 4:00 and see a HORDE of people around the signing area and a staff member yelling at everyone, so we look at some vendors nearby to stay out of the chaos. A few minutes before four we head over there, and as four hits, a STAMPEDE...yes, literally a stampede of people shove my friend around and almost knock her over. Okay, well, after that happened, we at least managed to get in the line. Then we find out we can have only one thing signed. I'm fine with that. HOWEVER! My friend was there with her copy of Tales of Symphonia and HER BROTHER'S copy of Symphonia. Her brother is a huge fan of Crispin Freeman and could not come to the convention. My friend already promised her brother...so of course, she got her brother's copy signed and not her own. This was not fair to her at all to suddenly have the rules changed on her AFTER SHE PROMISED SOMEONE ELSE SHE WOULD DO SOMETHING! She did not want to go back on Sunday as she knew it would be even worse (and from the sounds of it, Sunday was worse). She later said she was just happy to meet Mr. Freeman, but I know how upset she was.

The rest of my friends who didn't go to the Crispin signing were wanting to go to the Travis and Laura signing on Sunday. I warned them after what happened on Saturday that it will be crazy and we need to get to the con before it opens, so we can dart back to the signings. I also warned them that if it was anything like the Crispin signings, they would only get one thing signed by each person. Of course, I ended up being right. It wasn't AS CHAOTIC as the Crispin signing...but that's probably because everyone was darting to the back instead of being smooshed together in one area and then becoming a stampede like on Saturday.

Anyway. With all of that said, I'd like to bring some suggestions for next year:

1. Please...PLEASE allow people to line up earlier than 30 minutes for the guest signings. For bigger names like Crispin Freeman, it's going to be pure chaos. Somebody could have gotten hurt from that stampede on Saturday.

2. I know that they were just trying to be fair by only allowing one thing to be signed that way more people could get stuff signed, but in my friend's case, that wasn't fair to her to suddenly have the rules changed on her. I'm sure she wasn't the only person there getting stuff signed for family/friends. So, it would be nice if the rules were kept consistent. Allowing people to line up before 30 minutes would solve that problem.

#25 User is offline   Green Dragon 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 7168

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:10 AM

View Postrandy r, on 25 May 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

I believe that all comes down to contract signings, and when the musicians/artists/mangaka/voice actors/etc. officially sign in to be a part of the con. That could take a short or long time depending on several factors that only Ken knows for sure. Then, and only then, can the official announcement go out.

I mean, do you want to have one of the above professional people marketed, only to later find out that they won't be there due to not having the contract signed from one reason or another?

This post has been edited by Green Dragon: 26 May 2014 - 12:13 AM

Anime Central Cosplay History

* ACen '04, '05, '06: Nicholas D. Wolfwood - ACen '07: Gendo Ikari / Bryan Fury
* ACen '08: Gendo Ikari / Capt. Aizen Sousuke - ACen '09: Gendo Ikari / Daisuke Jigen
* ACen '11: Tom Baker, Fourth Doctor - ACen '12: Fourth Doctor / Capt. Aizen Sousuke
* ACen '13: Capt. Kyouraku Shunsui - ACen '14: Kiba (Wolf's Rain) / Ninth Doctor

#26 User is offline   manga1 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 53231

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:28 PM

ah yes one of the points of the convention that is as big as ACen, timming is everything, I loved loved being able to attend a panel and actualy have an intellectual discourse, like Crispen Freeman, and Helen McArthy, two very learned people on cultural knowledge and on the history of myths, long have a waited for a pannel like that at any con, though I would have liked to have more time to talk with someone like that, and there was no time for questions at the saturday night panel really, I really wanted to dive into more meat of discussion, I mean religion culture and history are topics that are a passion of mine that is deep, I have a minor in comparitive religious studies and a minor in psy, I can litteraly hammer questions one after another like an auctioner talking, and can do that for 30+ minuts straight, and based on how deep several of the others that were asking questions in the large crowd which was in that large room upstairs at the saturday pannel, they could have just as well, and that was not counting the anime roles they did, if you are going to have academic heavy weights like them you really ought to provide more time to talk.

and it would be nice to be able to get more autograph sessions with the big name guests, sometimes just one is just no way for everyone to get to them, like travis and laura, I could only stay for half laura pannel as I was going to do photo shoots, and I really wanted to ask her to do lust's voice for me, I have waited 5 + years for the chance and now I have to wait at least a year more.

ALso the people running the photo shoots need to be held accountable to hold things togather, I went the the blue ex photo shoot and there were only a handful of us and we did not know if it was at the rain location or the outside, so we had to do it impromptu in the rain location I spent a good deal of time getting into costume for that and the information about what was going on was abominable, same with the another photo shoot I was going to attend, for these better communication is a must, as I wasted precious time trying to go and I cant find out one way or another on the shoots if they are over or still going, is it canceled, ect. A con as big as ACen has soo much going on your really have oppratunity costs at times and have to budget your time preciously to get in some of the events since there are soo many things going on.

As for the good I liked the guests this year, I would have liked to attend on of the concerts but did not have time, I mean I am not big on j-pop but I even knew of Wake up Girls, I liked that the sailor moon announcement was made at ACen, the return was something we fans waited 10 years for as the very last time sailor moon was in print was 2004 and then america lost the rights, many thought we would never see her again, I knew that if there were 30 year old anime that they were still bringing over or reprinting on digital media for the first time that there was a good chance in the future Princess Naoko would relent when the big anniverserys of sailor moon came up, and so it was, do you know what its like to not see an old friend for 10 years, I know its just an anime, but it has special meaning for me, as it was one of the first ones I saw, there were others like cities of gold, and bell and sebastian they showed on nickoldian in the 1980's and they are anime, also let us not forget robotech for better or worse, but I saw a sailor moon fan site with an image of usagi and mamaru outside a church in wedding clothes and I thought, What I thought she was only 14 so I looked all over the web and learned that it had 5 seasons total, and that they did get married in the manga as when usagi comes back out of the battle with galaxia they returned years older and they finaly marry and kiss and chibi usa comes to be, so I also learned that sailor moon was out of japan, I knew there were japanese cartoons and we had a club at the university that watched them, but I thought anime was the actual name of a series like gundam was, or zoids for example, and I credit the series as the one that taught me what anime was and that I had been watching it all along and many other cartoons in english were of japanese animation dubbed since my childhood. So to hear the announcement at the masq I just lost it and started breathing heavy and even welled up a little I was happy, I almost attended the offical announcement but I opted out as I thought it might have just been a musical guest or something, as I was passing by the room and looked at the guide that said special announcement "Trust us you wont want to miss this."

Anyway I like having the large pannels in the actual convention center in the nice ballrooms, it makes it a whole bunch easier to keep track of them and get to and from each one in a real fast hurry, plus it has couches and a nice space to find people massed togather and get photos of costumes while they wait and you are passing by, you see the cosplayers you like you back up to keep a clear space and you hit them one at a time like putting out a row of candles in church lol.
Also, the info desk that was on the first floor is bar none absolute one of the best things they instituted in the ballroom hall, they knew just about everything you could ask about the con, and exactly how to get to places or what was going on, the insert of times was good too, but I would like if they were organized by alphabet better then by time it makes it harder to find on the timming, if you have to know the time and hunt it down. thats my 5 dollers.

Jeremy Manga1

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users