Anime Central Forums: Is ACen no longer an anime convention? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Is ACen no longer an anime convention?

#1 User is offline   Epic_Fail_Guy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 10869

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

As a note, I've been attending ACen for 7 years but missed last year. So first of all,

THE GOOD:
-Lots of panels with a diverse range of topics. The ABe panels were all amazing and because of the increase in number and selection of panels I went to a lot more panels this year (Slayers, Lupin, Rave Dancing 101, a few others).

-Line con, or rather the lack of it. My friend got in line for his badge on Saturday at 10am. In past years this would have meant certain doom and a 4-6+ hour wait. This year he got it in just over an hour. Seriously, good job on this.

-Two really good international guests; ABe and Nobou. I'm so glad ABe attended again as two shows Lain and Haibane Renmei are two staples of anime and missed him years ago.

-Still very happy with all the 18+ events. I moved from Chicago (hometown) to the PNW two years ago and have also been going to Sakura-Con in Seattle since the move. SC is the same size at ACen but has banished hentai and has a significantly smaller and earlier ending Sat dance. It's night life in general is very little. This takes away from the con. ACen does not face this problem. Also, the burlesque show was good, but hard to see the dancer as the stage was too low.

THE BAD
-The artist alley turned into C2E2 artist alley. Almost half of the booths had little or no anime and instead art in western format cartoons with a lot focusing on US animation characters and some US superheros. This type of work is great, but Chicago has numerous comic cons. Anime Central is an anime con and the artist alley should reflect this. I know there is also a huge demand to get a booth in the alley. For 2015 the staff should be more tight on making sure people at the alley are selling anime art, not just any random type of cartoon art.

-A sharp decline in number of cosplays and lack of anime cosplay. This doesn't fall on ACen staff, but it made me sad to see so many Deadpools, Captain Americas, US animation characters, random US superhero characters, Hollywood movie characters, non-anime culture video game characters, etc. at the con, while also seeing much less anime. In fact, there was almost less anime than "other" cosplay. Obviously this will happen when a con becomes more mainstream and attended by many people who have seen little anime, but it makes me very sad. I love seeing characters from different anime shows, especially when I see people doing cosplay of older shows or lesser known series, but this year the anime cosplay just failed as far as anime goes. Sadness.

THE IDEAL
-International guests were better this year as in past recent years we have been stuck with the same repeat US guests over and over (Tiffany Grant, Steve Horton, etc.). Their were less guests this year, but better and less repetitive ones. Keep this up and more international guests would be even better. When I say international guests I mean international guests directly related to anime, too, as in directors, voice actors, character designers, etc., not just an overflow of lolita models and fashion figures.

GENERAL FEELINGS
Overall, awesome con. Everyone in my group of long term con attendees agreed that despite the shift of ACen guests from "anime purist" to "general nerd con," the con was great. In recent years I've been a bit disappointed with ACen and many people in my group had considered not returning, but this year was amazing, possibly the best year I've ever been or a tie with 2009. Good job ACen staff.

#2 User is offline   Nikku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61480

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

man it hasn't been an anime con since i've been going for the last 5 years. Anime is a focus but not the only thing. And i love it as its NOT yet a comic con hogdepodge of media hype and cash vacuuming
ACen 2016 cosplays Sith Lord (maybe?) 2 ton 21, Monarch chief Henchman. Minuteman General (fallout4) Sans(?) (undertale)

#3 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

Regarding the issue of Cosplay...I have to disagree, I would say there was a lot more cosplay and more diverse versions of it. First off, yes there are more superheroes and the like but the over all items were anime and Japanese video games. The reason for a incline of comics is that they are actually being embraced more thanks, in part, to the movies and cartoons. This is showing that there's more of a willingness to accept Cosplay as just about any form of media. In Japan this is true too. You can find a number of superheroes and non anime and manga related items. True it's not as much as in the states but then again you can say the same for other countries as well. Cosplayers will cosplay what they feel comfortable in and what they think is cool.

Second, there hasn't been a big Anime, save Sword Art Online, in a while. We haven't seen a series that has really exploded in the same way others have and, as cosplayers age their tastes will age as well. This doesn't mean that you won't get anime but you'll get a mixed verity of it. Eventually there will be another big anime series, it'll take a bit for something to hit, but when it does, we shall know.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#4 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:06 PM

I'd like to comment on two things. You are entitled to your opinions, but I have a totally different perspective that I'd like to share with you.

First off, I totally disagree on your statements about less anime in the AA. From what I saw I thought that anime and Japanese culture was well represented. There were some especially nice tables selling Japanese themed items, like cosplay, kawaii aesthetics, and plush. I sell amigurumi, so my stuff is based in Japanese culture, and some of it anime fan art. We are actually lucky that ACen is still one of those cons that allows us to sell fan art based off of anime and other genres.

Second, anime cosplay was huge. Did you not go anywhere near the loading docks? Those photoshoots are 90% anime/manga, and the turnouts were massive. I only was able to go to the Valve/Portal/Half-Life/TF one, but we were jam packed in there and surrounded by anime themed cosplayers.

Perhaps it's just that you aren't up to date on the latest and biggest animes that were being cosplayed this year? I too did see lots of Marvel/DC, Doctor Who, Homestuck, etc cosplayers, but I think the anime cosplayers were the vast majority. If you're not familiar with Attack on Titan, Puella Magi Madoka Magika, and Sword Art Online then you wouldn't have noticed those cosplayers. I saw tons of people as Survey Corps members, Madokas, and lots of Kirito and Asunas this year.

Also, side note about JRPGs. There are a lot of them out now on the PSP like the Persona series that is gaining popularity over here. It's not anime, but a lot of times the art style is, and people will cosplay as those characters too.

And yes, this is kind of ironic coming from me since I chose to cosplay two video game characters this year, but to be fair Ness from Earthbound(Mother 2) is originally a Japanese game and is way more popular there.
Attending since 2005 • Artist Alley 2011-2017
Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#5 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

Jujufox, good point about the AOT Survey corps members. When the anime came out I knew it would be a big thing to cosplay. I didn't see a lot of Madoka, but that might be because I was busy trying to keep my dad from tripping wearing his Snorlax cosplay. Gotta agree with you on the AA as well. Most of the art, even the art of non anime characters, were done in a style that was very eastern oriented. Even those that didn't do a lot of eastern art had some lovely items there that were from anime or manga.

I think that there's been an increase in the diversity of anime and manga cosplay. It used to be either you would do something shonen (Death Note, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Bleach, One piece) because that was what was on tv, but now with a good portion of people branching out of just the shonen category there's more and more cosplayers showing that cosplay doesn't have to be "Anime only", which is really a good thing because it can show how accepting it's becoming as not only a hobby but also an art form. :thumbup:
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

Pardon the Pause

#6 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

I'll also add that there has been an increase in cultural diversity, period.

Some folks may not realize this, but a culture that remains stagnant and doesn't provide diversity will inevitably fail. This goes for industries as well. The anime/manga industry has changed quite a bit in just a few years, as have conventions, and they've been branching out into other mediums. Plus, let's face it - as the con gets bigger, more people means more demand for more variety. Not everyone enjoys the same things, and it's important to cater to as many demographics as possible while keeping close to the main theme of the convention.

In the case of artists, believe me when I say that a con our size that limits the genre of fanart may not be well-liked. The thing about art is that it reflects the artist, their likes/passions, and their individual skills. Not all of them enjoy anime, and not all of them enjoy mainstream media. (For instance, one artist I know specializes in niche games - namely because those are the ones she prefers, and while she's tried, she can't get the same drive to make art of more mainstream characters as she does with niche games like Persona, Tekken, etc.)
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#7 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:40 PM

I was just so happy to find some Hatoful boyfriend art out there! I know it's a really small group of followers but it was great seeing it. I would be really sad if all I saw was a bunch of Weekly Shonen Jump characters to choose from.

Pardon the Pause

#8 User is offline   ShingekiNoFandoms 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 64955

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:41 PM

This is only my second year attending ACen, but in my opinion there was still a lot of anime cosplay. I'd have to agree that it's kind of hard to tell what characters are anime and what are not with newer series like SnK/AoT and others out there. I'm guilty of cosplaying Homestuck to ACen, but if anyone's like me they only go to one con a year and don't really get to enjoy cosplaying anywhere else except for maybe smaller/local events or Halloween. I feel that as long as you're sharing anime/Japanese pop culture/Japanese art style or gaming as an interest, then you should be able to cosplay what you want. (Why else would you go to an anime con if you didn't like anime!?) Though I'd definitely not want to suddenly see all superhero or MLP or Homestuck cosplays at ACen and little to no anime cosplays.

I was surprised to see that it didn't turn out to be line-con Saturday too though. Was it because they announced a few days before con that you could pre-order regular day passes instead of their usual "3 day pass pre-orders only" rule?
Future Cons '16- For sure: Anime Midwest, Count-i-Con. Not sure: AWC, Midwest FurFest, C-A-D
ACen '15: Squid Girl, Sasha Braus (SnK)
ACen '14: Hanji Zoe (SnK), Terezi Pyrope (Homestuck)
ACen '13: Seborga (Hetalia), Chibitalia/Neko!Chibitalia (Hetalia)
Other cons- Anime World Chicago '12: (bad first cosplay); Count-i-Con '15: Foxy (FNAF), Clementine (Telltale's TWD)

#9 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:15 PM

This topic appears more often than you'd think, and I sat in on a panel that someone on staff summed it up perfectly; although ACen caters to a diverse range of people, the main focus is still on Japanese anime and culture. Even though it felt like a large majority of people were dressed up as Western characters, I still believe anime/Japanese outfits outpaced the West. You can't stop people from going as Doctor Who, Homestucks, My Little Ponies, and internet memes. If I was more of a hard nose, I'd be a hypocrite considering I lost my composure when I saw someone dressed as Doritos Pope this weekend. For better or for worse, the fandoms have meshed, and barring people from dressing up as whoever they want to be becomes totalitarian.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#10 User is offline   Niroz51 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61786

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

The thing of it is, is that ya cant control who wants to go and what they decide to wear.
So it's kinda a waste to get put off by it. The only thing I think would be fair to expect is that they don't start catering to these subgroups. Keep the panels, guests and events geared towards anime and Japanese culture. Only when that's not the case do I think it'd be worth complaining it's not an anime con anymore.

#11 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

I honestly felt like I saw more anime cosplay this year than I have in the past 5 or so years. A lot less Homestucks and ponies than there have been, for one thing. Also I honestly don't think AA and cosplayers have much to do with what the con itself is about. If attendees want to dress as non-anime characters, it's fine. Artist alley honestly doesn't affect me at all, personally, so I can't say too much on that besides that I consider it to be a small part of the con. But honestly, so long as the majority of official convention events like panels, guests, etc are anime related, it's still an anime con.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#12 User is offline   GXP_agent_Zack 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 2537

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

View Postfeuerwerke, on 19 May 2014 - 07:47 PM, said:

I honestly felt like I saw more anime cosplay this year than I have in the past 5 or so years. A lot less Homestucks and ponies than there have been, for one thing. Also I honestly don't think AA and cosplayers have much to do with what the con itself is about. If attendees want to dress as non-anime characters, it's fine. Artist alley honestly doesn't affect me at all, personally, so I can't say too much on that besides that I consider it to be a small part of the con. But honestly, so long as the majority of official convention events like panels, guests, etc are anime related, it's still an anime con.

I have to agree with this. Though I missed last year, I've been to ever ACen since 2004. I think I saw as much anime related cosplay this year as I did during the boom years.

"It doesn't matter who we were. It only matters who we are."

#13 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

I think ACen does a pretty good job of sticking to anime, much better than a lot of "anime" cons. For example for other Midwest conventions I am no longer going to attend Anime Iowa or Anime Nebraskon because they invite barely any anime guests, approve way too non-anime panels and really obviously don't care about anime.

I'm all for other fandoms but there is a time and place for everything. I go to sci-fi cons for my sci-fi, Comic-Con for my comics and movies and ACen for anime.
All systems... GO!

#14 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:16 PM

Oh man, another "This isn't an anime con" thread. Ugh....

The majority of panels are anime related, they only show anime stuff in the video rooms, the masquerade is anime cosplay only (last I checked the rules stated that characters must be of Japanese origin, unless that changed this year), and there's plenty of influence. We all like anime as much as the next thing, but sometimes cosplay outside of anime get more recognition.

Also, maybe some of these people doing non-anime cosplay aren't as familiar with anime series. How about instead of complaining about lack of anime cosplay, offer a series that may be similar to one that someone is cosplaying. We all weren't anime fans when we were born no matter what you try to claim.

It's either accept that non-anime cosplays are going to be at ACen or you can stop attending the cons. Good luck finding a con that's anime and nothing but anime. Comic cons don't exclusively have comic book characters. I've seen video game, cartoon, and even anime characters at them too.

This post has been edited by STVO: 19 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#15 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:26 PM

View PostSTVO, on 19 May 2014 - 09:16 PM, said:

Oh man, another "This isn't an anime con" thread. Ugh....

The majority of panels are anime related, they only show anime stuff in the video rooms, the masquerade is anime cosplay only (last I checked the rules stated that characters must be of Japanese origin, unless that changed this year), and there's plenty of influence. We all like anime as much as the next thing, but sometimes cosplay outside of anime get more recognition.

Also, maybe some of these people doing non-anime cosplay aren't as familiar with anime series. How about instead of complaining about lack of anime cosplay, offer a series that may be similar to one that someone is cosplaying. We all weren't anime fans when we were born no matter what you try to claim.

It's either accept that non-anime cosplays are going to be at ACen or you can stop attending the cons. Good luck finding a con that's anime and nothing but anime. Comic cons don't exclusively have comic book characters. I've seen video game, cartoon, and even anime characters at them too.

That masquerade rule changed of 2013- actually a homestuck skit won an award that year.
-------

As far as a con that's just anime related - and discourage non anime related cosplay- I'd check out ArmageddonCon by Anime Punch.

I'm one of those who think that funds etc need to go to getting anime related programming and guests way before the comic artists, American cartoon VAs and djs- however with cosplay there's nothing you or the con can do to stop it. People will do what they want to do. I for one don't mind the variety in this regard.
AKB48 and Sumire Sato Lover. 2017 will be my 8th ACen.

#16 User is offline   manga1 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 53231

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:13 PM

look that is why anime cons have gotten bigger and many of the other geekery cons have shrank as interest waned over the years, anime is soo much larger and there are genuine manga style and anime storyline animation coming out in america that are not just a knockoff for the popularity of the manga style, I too belive in holding to a theme that it should come from japan as that is what it is supposed to be about even if its only animation or the music to the series, or a character that is japanese in origin, like godzilla, gammara, power rangers, ect.

nothing bugs me more then when an american series or superhero that is not at least based on the japanese american colaboration version of it wins in a masquerade for skit or cosplay at an anime convention. Its called an anime con for a reason afterall especialy when as far as cosplay goes the masquerade is the high point of the event it should atleast be from asia or from a colaboration for that type of event.

but as it were it is a free contry and many of us out there would be too shy to wear what we wear in cosplay outside the convention in real life, let alone just talking to people as it were, there are many that are still very shy when it comes to everday talking or are not understood by society, and this gives a chance to make friends and be with likeminded people for a few days and share the experiance or learn about the concept of anime or the myths that drive the stories behind it, or why it was dubbed that way, ect.

and by the way there was lots of attack on titan, and lots of final fantasy cosplay, as well as naruto, and mario brothers.

#17 User is offline   AcenFTW! 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 57107

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

"Let it go"
ACen 2015 - Coming Soon...

#18 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:09 AM

Of a note in regard to comic conventions masquerades, one thing I have seen with say, San Diego Comic con's, is that there seems to be a shift in what is approved and not. I know it's very different than ACen, but the same rules normally apply there as well only it's for comic costumes and more and more there are anime related cosplay and Disney and other cosplay. It's interesting to see when someone works really hard and manages to make an exact replica of the "Mask of Red Death" from Phantom of the Opera and do a routine with a quick changing mask trick and get just as loud a cheer as the guy that created a firestorm cosplay down to having a specialized top that actually lit on fire.

ACen has been holding to it's theme, but I think there has to be a leeway regarding cosplay itself. A number of Japanese properties have been rebooted recently by western companies, (Devil May Cry by Ninja Theory and Castlevaina LOS 1&2 by Mercury Steam), which are still considered properties of Capcom and konami. And what of properties that in the west that are being done as anime? Marvel has had several anime series done in Japan, as well as DC having the Batman collection done by various anime companies. The more it blends....

Pardon the Pause

#19 User is offline   Koric 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 65073

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:52 AM

This comes up a lot! Had a good debate on it this past January after Ohayocon in Columbus, OH. The conclussion we (the forum) came to was that really it all comes down to you (the con attendees). If you don't like seeing non-anime cosplays, be sure to come out with your own anime cosplay. If you really want to step it up, organize a group of friends to all do one series with you (we did for Fairy Tail this year and it was amazing). My biggest gripe was lack of anime panels (at Ohayocon, ACen seemed great this year), but I was part of the one contributing to my own gripe (with a Halo panel). I had done that panel for years at both Ohaycon and ACen and decided it was and is too far away from the core of the con for my taste, so I am now contributing with a Gundam panel (woot Gundam Jeopardy).

The point is, if you think the con should have more anime stuff, provide it.

#20 User is offline   Rein 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 64335

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

Honestly my friends and I loved that not ALL of the Artist Alley work was "anime" related. It was refreshing to be browsing around and not see the same Hetalia/Attack on Titan/Final Fantasy/whatever else artwork at every single booth XD;

While ACen is, yes, primarily an anime convention, it's nice to see a multitude of different things coming together under one roof. I never once got the feeling that ACen wasn't an anime convention, because anime and Japanese culture still dominated overall. But adding variety never hurts, and personally I think it will make ACen appeal to more people and grow because of that variety.

#21 User is offline   masterblaster 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18442

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:47 AM

Sure, we've had this thread before, but if discussion is kept civil then it should be a subject that we're allowed to talk about.

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 19 May 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

Second, there hasn't been a big Anime, save Sword Art Online, in a while.

There were more Attack on Titan cosplayers this year than there were Sword Art Online cosplayers last year.

This was already mentioned but I wanted to post it anyway.

View PostValkyrie, on 19 May 2014 - 03:35 PM, said:

Some folks may not realize this, but a culture that remains stagnant and doesn't provide diversity will inevitably fail.

Using a statement like this to defend non-anime content at an anime convention is outright deceptive!

If the convention was wholly focused on, like, 10 different anime series and nothing else, it would definitely be true as it's nothing but a good thing for the convention and for the fandom as a whole to appreciate a more diverse sampling of what anime has to offer. But implying that an anime convention is doomed in the long run if it doesn't celebrate Western media is something else altogether!

#22 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

View PostValkyrie, on 19 May 2014 - 03:35 PM, said:

I'll also add that there has been an increase in cultural diversity, period.

Some folks may not realize this, but a culture that remains stagnant and doesn't provide diversity will inevitably fail. This goes for industries as well. The anime/manga industry has changed quite a bit in just a few years, as have conventions, and they've been branching out into other mediums. Plus, let's face it - as the con gets bigger, more people means more demand for more variety. Not everyone enjoys the same things, and it's important to cater to as many demographics as possible while keeping close to the main theme of the convention.

View Postmasterblaster, on 20 May 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

Using a statement like this to defend non-anime content at an anime convention is outright deceptive!

If the convention was wholly focused on, like, 10 different anime series and nothing else, it would definitely be true as it's nothing but a good thing for the convention and for the fandom as a whole to appreciate a more diverse sampling of what anime has to offer. But implying that an anime convention is doomed in the long run if it doesn't celebrate Western media is something else altogether!

I think you misunderstood Valkyrie's statement. I don't think they were referring specifically to western media, but I could be wrong. Regardless, I'd like to expound on this statement...

ACen calls itself "The Midwest Anime and Manga Convention", but these aren't the only two things featured at the con. Over the years it's evolved to include Japanese music, fashion, and video games. The guests and events have expanded to include these different types of mediums. I was shocked when I found out that Nobuo Uematsu at one point during the con had sat down at his booth literally right across from my table in the Artist Alley! I also heard that one of the fashion designers was wandering around at one point too. The major guests aren't just VAs and mangakas, and the variety we have now appeals to a much larger audience.

And can we also talk about how Western culture has HEAVILY influenced Japanese culture? Disney's Snow White influenced early Japanese animators, most notably Osamu Tezuka(Astro Boy creator). Also, Madhouse worked with Marvel to create anime adaptations of Blade, Wolverine, X-Men, and Iron Man. Now East is borrowing from the West!

The industry has evolved and with it so has the convention. I personally love it.

#23 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:53 AM

I feel like ACen does a pretty good job of keeping the focus on anime/Japanese culture. Viewings and most panels revolve around those subjects, and even in the masquerade there are only a limited number of slots for unrelated cosplays. I really like this focus - I go to other cons to get my fix of general geek culture; I come to ACen for anime!

While there are attendees that do dress up in costumes that aren't anime-related, that's not something anyone can control. Why get worked up over it? You don't have to cosplay anything you don't like, and other people dressing up as the things they like doesn't hurt anything. If it's really that much of a problem for you, then show up dressed in anime-related cosplay, run a panel on getting into anime or doing anime cosplay or something like that, and do your best to inspire others to get into it.

On an anecdotal note, it really did seem to me like there were more anime cosplays this year than years previous, and that was pretty cool to see. There were loads of AoT people everywhere!

#24 User is offline   TheMagicWithin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 5842

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

This comes up every year, but I'll make a post about it anyway.

I'm one of those who defends the idea of ACen being a mesh of anime and western geek culture. One of the biggest reasons why is because while yes, there are other cons, many people can't afford to go to more than one or two cons a year. This was my 9th year at ACen, and while I do go to other cons this one is by far my favorite. I know a ton of people who go to ACen. I'd not choose a smaller con I've never been to over a huge con that I've loved for nearly a decade.

Secondly, ACen's content is primarily anime. The panels, video rooms, and gaming room generally focuses on Japanese content. The largest mesh of content is in cosplay and artist alley. You cannot control what people will cosplay. I've been doing anime cosplays for years, but this year my friends were mostly doing western cosplays and I had a bunch of western cosplays I wanted to do, so I ended up in all western costumes. As everyone has said people can dress how they want, and the idea of not offering series like Marvel or Doctor Who a photoshoot is simply laughable.

As for artist alley, there was tons of non-anime content, but tons of anime content as well. I love the mesh because I like both western series and anime. Additionally the dealers section is almost exclusively anime, so I don't think it's unfair that artist alley has some diversity. The dealers room offers such similar things every year that I've grown to prefer artist alley.

All anime cons I go to now have western programming and cosplay. I've been to non-anime cons that have anime programming and cosplay. In the end we all like geeky things and should celebrate that we all have somewhere to enjoy it, rather than trying to make a distinction between the things. Unless half of ACen's programming turns into western themed content, I really don't see a reason to complain that much.
ACen 2014:
John Watson: Sherlock
Charlie: Supernatural

Tardis: Doctor Who

#25 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

View PostTheMagicWithin, on 21 May 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

This comes up every year, but I'll make a post about it anyway.

I'm one of those who defends the idea of ACen being a mesh of anime and western geek culture. One of the biggest reasons why is because while yes, there are other cons, many people can't afford to go to more than one or two cons a year. This was my 9th year at ACen, and while I do go to other cons this one is by far my favorite. I know a ton of people who go to ACen. I'd not choose a smaller con I've never been to over a huge con that I've loved for nearly a decade.

Secondly, ACen's content is primarily anime. The panels, video rooms, and gaming room generally focuses on Japanese content. The largest mesh of content is in cosplay and artist alley. You cannot control what people will cosplay. I've been doing anime cosplays for years, but this year my friends were mostly doing western cosplays and I had a bunch of western cosplays I wanted to do, so I ended up in all western costumes. As everyone has said people can dress how they want, and the idea of not offering series like Marvel or Doctor Who a photoshoot is simply laughable.

As for artist alley, there was tons of non-anime content, but tons of anime content as well. I love the mesh because I like both western series and anime. Additionally the dealers section is almost exclusively anime, so I don't think it's unfair that artist alley has some diversity. The dealers room offers such similar things every year that I've grown to prefer artist alley.

All anime cons I go to now have western programming and cosplay. I've been to non-anime cons that have anime programming and cosplay. In the end we all like geeky things and should celebrate that we all have somewhere to enjoy it, rather than trying to make a distinction between the things. Unless half of ACen's programming turns into western themed content, I really don't see a reason to complain that much.

Agree 100%! There's a lot of western influence in Anime now if you think about it. The whole Concept of Attack on Titan is western by nature. The cast save for mikasa, is apparently one of the few Asian people left, is all of Western nationality. If you look at a list of names, it's like everyone is either German, French or Austrian in name. Shows that are more western in tone (oddly Naruto, One piece, Bleach, Sword Art Online, Log Horizon, etc) seem to have the most fans world wide over the very Japanese in style anime that some slice of life shows have. It's a mix now in both areas. Look at Teen Titans or MLP, or even say the new Spiderman series (Particularly when certain events happen there's a "Power Ranger esque" sort of pause when the name of the character comes up and there's a anime speed line effect that covers the background). It's really sort of neat how people now say they're influenced drawing wise as much by say Satoshi Kon as they are by Glenn Keene.

Pardon the Pause

#26 User is offline   Audri 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 23980

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

Normally I would jump on a soap box and scream my head off in hate and disdain for western stuff appearing at my anime con.. An incident that occured however really changed my mind on it. I was at the media blasters booth and I saw a really well done Spiderman and Captain America. My first thought was why is that superhero crap at the con, then my next thought was how well the costumes were done. A mom with a little girl noticed them about the same time I did and asked Spiderman if she could take a picture. To get to her camera she had to put the little girl down, and when her feet touched the ground immediately ran over to Spiderman and gave him a huge hug.

That meetup probably made that girls weekend. I know I go bonkers when I see a well done cosplay of characters dear to my heart.. So I guess even Superheros have fans that want to see cosplayers for them as well.
2016: Kirari Moroboshi - Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls
2015: Kumano - Kantai Collection
2014: Should have cosplayed
2013: Hayate Yagami - Magical Lyrical Nanoha Force
2012: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni and Ruko Yokune - Vippaloid
2011: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2010: Eva-Beatrice - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2009: First ACen - No Cosplay

#27 User is offline   manga1 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

"I was shocked when I found out that Nobuo Uematsu at one point during the con had sat down at his booth literally right across from my table in the Artist Alley! I also heard that one of the fashion designers was wandering around at one point too."

I saw H. Naoto standing at his booth and got his photo, I did not ask for autograph because I tried this with yumi from angelic pretty and they were adament that they would not sign anything outside of signings, at least I think it was H. Naoto standing by the hangry and angry fashion booth, and gave me two peace signs on both hands.
you will see in my photos.

it is still an anime convention by all means, even if it were half the cosplay is western movie, doctor who, and comics, it is not but, it is centered around anime and manga, as well as japanese culture.

beside I rather like some of the variety, but would prefer things about japan, or the anime version of the american colaborations.

you know though there are several series I never see represented in cosplay though, like saint tail, kamikazi jean, superbook, flying house, bell and sebastian, cities of gold, yukikazi, and aquarian.

yea you old school kats know the ones I am talking about, superbook and flying house that told the bible stories look it up it was animated in japan, and bell and sebastian, and mysterious cities of gold on nickolodian were infact done by a studio in japan, in colaboration with the french, and not once have I seen the characters from leji matsumoto and daft punk's collab from 2001 for the discovery soundtrack, interstalla 5555 story of the secret star systam cosplayed, anyone old enough to remember the origional toonami knows of the music videos they used to show of it and the gorillaz music video from the time period which was also animated, you know the daft punk song one more time with the blue people band yea that was done by leji matsumoto that did galaxy railways, galaxy express 999 and captian harlock.

I see deadmou5 and daft punk but never once of daft punks characters and it was the meeting of two big hobbies of mine at the time electronic music and animation japanese and american back in 2001 and first I saw of sailor moon in several years as it was just then in january 2001 we finnaly got cartoon network and disney channel as regular cable channels, it was a fun time and I was just starting into my second semester of collage, it was a fun but also bad time as I also lost my first job, the tech boom went bust, and the automakers as well as many local factories went belly up in north indiana, it hit us almost as bad as the great recession in 08, which killed the RV, modular housing and trailor industry that much of north indiana was dependant on , elkhart and the south bend area of indiana was hit hard almost overnight, you know south bend where the university of notre dame the fighting irish for you football fans.

so yea I am surprised I have never seen a cosplay of the characters yet at a con, but I am not going to put on blue bodypaint to do it nor the blue bodysuit, I never wear tights outside of iceskating, and biking, I am not against for guys, as once in time before modern times it was the guys that would wear the long stockings and leggings for riding horses and not the half tights that are the halmark of the ladies today in fashion, I just dont like to wear spandex outside of athletics or for insulation during the winter like we had last this year.

eh anyway this is a long enough post about my thoughts on anime lol
Jeremy Manga1

#28 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

View Postmanga1, on 25 May 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

...and not once have I seen the characters from leji matsumoto and daft punk's collab from 2001 for the discovery soundtrack, interstalla 5555 story of the secret star systam cosplayed, anyone old enough to remember the origional toonami knows of the music videos they used to show of it and the gorillaz music video from the time period which was also animated, you know the daft punk song one more time with the blue people band yea that was done by leji matsumoto that did galaxy railways, galaxy express 999 and captian harlock.

This is from last year... http://th04.devianta...rec-d664hl7.jpg I didn't take this pic, but I do remember seeing them.

#29 User is offline   manga1 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

Ah they would be the first though, I think I might have also seen them and just not remembered. I know they are not often cosplayed though.

#30 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:30 AM

Anime Central is still an anime convention, it just doesn't take itself too seriously.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users