Anime Central Forums: How do I carry a necessity bag while in costume - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do I carry a necessity bag while in costume

#1 User is offline   Julie 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 65196

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

This is the first time I've traveled for a convention and - since my hotel is over 5 miles away - I have to bring necessities (super-glue, comb, contact case, money, makeup, etc). My costume doesn't have pockets and is rather skimpy. How do others deal with this?

#2 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

I'd say it depends on your cosplay. Are there any spots where you could hide things? Some people slip cash, IDs, and CCs in their badge(good idea for the dances and other places where bags aren't allowed).
Attending since 2005 • Artist Alley 2011-2016
Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#3 User is offline   Julie 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

I'll try to see if I can make pockets on my costume. I didn't know bags weren't allowed in dances. :o

I guess I couldn't take my sword into dance either. lol

#4 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

I always bring a bag with that matches my costume or is just anime themed and drop it to the floor for pictures. Throughout the day you probably want more stuff than you can carry in just a few pockets. If you're going to the dances, make the stop back to your car and swap your bag out with the bare minimum. For me that's usually just the badge, my ID, chapstick, cell phone, and car keys. My badge and ID go in the badge sleeve, car keys clip on, and my phone and chaptstick typically get shoved into my bra (and sometimes car keys do too). If you need more room than that (or are a boy, but assuming you're a girl xD) maybe find a small handbag, the type where it can be pulled snuggly against your wrist.
ACen 2017 Plans
Maki Nishikino (Little Devil) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 90%
Maki Nishikino (Sunny Day Song) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 90%
Rider [Fate/Stay Night] 0%
Zen (Spicy Jalapeno) [Mystic Messenger] 100%
Christophe Giacometti (Rapsodie Espagnole) [Yuri!!! on Ice] 40%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takahashi Cosplay

#5 User is offline   Julie 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 17 April 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

I always bring a bag with that matches my costume or is just anime themed and drop it to the floor for pictures. Throughout the day you probably want more stuff than you can carry in just a few pockets. If you're going to the dances, make the stop back to your car and swap your bag out with the bare minimum. For me that's usually just the badge, my ID, chapstick, cell phone, and car keys. My badge and ID go in the badge sleeve, car keys clip on, and my phone and chaptstick typically get shoved into my bra (and sometimes car keys do too). If you need more room than that (or are a boy, but assuming you're a girl xD) maybe find a small handbag, the type where it can be pulled snuggly against your wrist.

Yes, I'm a girl. Thanks, I appreciate your help!

#6 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

a bag should do. make sure it's more of a backpack though otherwise it can be a hassle to carry a shoulder bag and it won't tangle all over the place.
ACen COSPLAYS 2015:

OFFICIAL LINE-UP:
Friday: Taiga Aisaka, Toradora (100% done)
Saturday: Sugar, OFF by Mortis Ghost (90% done)
Sunday: Pink Lolita Coord (80% complete, will buy 20% at con)

#7 User is offline   Twilight Sparkle 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 62967

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

I just really bring a large bag with me anyways, that way I can fill it with snackies on top of emergency supplies. Mine doesn't even match my costume half the time. If people ask me for pictures, I just put it off to the side along with my badge with either a friend or off screen of the shot. Also with your makeup, I highly recommend putting it in a separate makeup bag and not let it run loose. orz;; You porbably do this already, but I was a dummy one year and my powder foundation cracked and got literally all over eveything. ; w ;
I hope you have fun at con sweetie! <33
Planned 2016 Cosplays!
Love Live! - Cyber SR Nozomi Toujou, School Uniform Hanayo Koizumi
Love Live!! Sunshine - School Uniform Hananmaru Kunikida
Maybe a 2hu?? Idek anymore man

#8 User is offline   Julie 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

View PostTwilight Sparkle, on 18 April 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

I just really bring a large bag with me anyways, that way I can fill it with snackies on top of emergency supplies. Mine doesn't even match my costume half the time. If people ask me for pictures, I just put it off to the side along with my badge with either a friend or off screen of the shot. Also with your makeup, I highly recommend putting it in a separate makeup bag and not let it run loose. orz;; You porbably do this already, but I was a dummy one year and my powder foundation cracked and got literally all over eveything. ; w ;
I hope you have fun at con sweetie! <33

Thanks! Luckily for me, I won't bring any loose powder.

#9 User is offline   Twifairy 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 65191

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

Whoever drives me usually carries my things, haha, meaning my dad is usually dragging a backpack around.
Another option, depending on who your cosplaying is to use parts of your outfit as pockets. I'm keeping my badge in my boots this year. Another option would be to wear your badge around your neck and out money, cards, etc. in it, then tuck the badge in your top or something. Who are you cosplaying?

I always bring a bag in general, even if it doesn't fit the cosplay, since I don't stay at a hotel. I keep snacks, touch-up makeup, and merchandise in my bag and have a friend watch it when someone's taking my picture.
ACen 2015 Cosplay-
Saturday: Cinder Fall: 40% done

Anime Midwest 2015 Cosplay-
Friday:Neo (RWBY): 30% done
Sunday:Mikasa Ackerman: 60% done
Progress can be viewed here

#10 User is offline   Julie 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

View PostTwifairy, on 19 April 2014 - 10:55 AM, said:

Whoever drives me usually carries my things, haha, meaning my dad is usually dragging a backpack around.
Another option, depending on who your cosplaying is to use parts of your outfit as pockets. I'm keeping my badge in my boots this year. Another option would be to wear your badge around your neck and out money, cards, etc. in it, then tuck the badge in your top or something. Who are you cosplaying?

I always bring a bag in general, even if it doesn't fit the cosplay, since I don't stay at a hotel. I keep snacks, touch-up makeup, and merchandise in my bag and have a friend watch it when someone's taking my picture.

Good ideas. Thanks! I'm playing Lightning - FF Lightning Returns version.

#11 User is offline   Twifairy 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 65191

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

View PostJulie, on 19 April 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

Good ideas. Thanks! I'm playing Lightning - FF Lightning Returns version.

In the case of Lightning, I think there's a few places you could hide things, and if you have larger things to carry around, a water bottle, etc, just carry a matching bag, or have a friend carry it. I would also consider just putting it on the floor, but there's a chance it 'd get stolen doing that.
ACen 2015 Cosplay-

Anime Midwest 2015 Cosplay-
Friday:Neo (RWBY): 30% done
Sunday:Mikasa Ackerman: 60% done
Progress can be viewed here

#12 User is offline   Bulma Briefs 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11893

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:08 AM

I found one of those clear plastic/PVC backpacks online, which works great and I know a lot of cons have the no-bag policy for the vendors room, but with this backpack I have no problems getting in with it. The clear plastic is really nice if you have some props you want to show off, but don't want to hold all day too(I do this with my crocheted Dragonballs/capsules and my Eternal Dragon plushie). Plus the side pockets are nice to keep your cell and camera in with easy access.

This post has been edited by Bulma Briefs: 03 May 2014 - 06:09 AM

ACen 2014 Cosplay
Bulma Briefs - Bunny costume (Dragonball)<--Saturday

#13 User is offline   Kadabra 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 52306

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:40 PM

I always bring a small anime-themed backpack purse with me so I don't have to make a lot of trips back to the hotel room (except for when I need to eat, change costumes/out of costume, and dropping off stuff from the vendor's room). If you decide to get one, I recommend buying one where the zipper is up against your back so you're less likely to worry about someone trying to open it up. If you leave the bulky stuff at home (such as a wallet; I suggest maybe keeping cash and your ID in a small sandwich bag or something), you can fit a few extra things in there and/or make your bag weigh less.
2014 Cosplays
Yukari - Persona 3
Phi - Virtue's Last Reward
Sonia Nevermind - Super Dangan Ronpa 2

#14 User is offline   brasilianman 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 62095

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

Bring a bookbag and also a small arsenal of emergency repair supplies that won't take up much space. It saved my life last year during my Kirby cosplay. I had several water bottles with a few snacks in it and also my emergency hot glue, hand stitching, and extra fabric/foam padding kit for last minute cosplay repair emergencies. Unlike past cons, I had a large carry-on bag and it was hard to carry for I overloaded my repair kit with a bit of everything with the exemption of my sewing machine. If you do this, it'll weight less than a bookbag filled with school textbooks.
ACen Cosplays:
Friday: 9th Dr from Dr Who
Saturday: Goomba from Super Mario Bros
Sunday: Ratio from Hamatora the Animation
Rave Attire: Mordecai from Regular Show in KUNG FU of death... clothing (without the mullet)

#15 User is offline   Glasshound 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 68093

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:02 PM

In the past, I made a laptop bag out of extra fabric, and it was a nice touch to have something that matches. For a female costume I also have made a clutch, just to keep everything together. It's simple just to dump it for photos.

------------

Mad props for the Keith Apicary avatar brasilianman. SEGA!!
ACen 2015: Kaito (Vocaloid), Megurine Luka (Vocaloid), awoken warlock (Destiny), Geese Howard (SNK's Fatal Fury/KoF)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users