Anime Central Forums: New kinds of guests at ACen this year..? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New kinds of guests at ACen this year..? Jessica Nigri Monika Lee Inner Mind Theater Tara Strong Grey Delisle

#1 User is offline   TerraMarkov 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61260

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:28 AM

I've been attending ACen for four years now and the majority of guests tend to be the same kind of people. Voice actors or animator a from various animes. While I understand the ACen is in fact an anime convention I would like to se a little more diversity in the guests invited to come. One guest in particular I enjoyed seeing was Yaya Han! Maybe more famous cosplayes? I would personally love to see Jessica Nigri, Monika Lee, or any of the Inner Mind Theater group be invited as special guests at ACen this year (for inner mind theater, specifically mango sirene is actually the reason I first found out about anime central in the first place) I have no doubt that they would draw in a large audience and tons of people would come to see them. Also maybe some more diverse voice actors not just from animes, like Tara Strong, or Grey Delisle. These are just some suggestions but I would really just like to see some guest with more diverse bio descriptions attending this year. I know a lot of my friends and I don't normally attend panels and such for this reason so I hope maybe this will be taken into consideration.

What do you think?
~Caroline :3

#2 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:46 AM

Id rather see Manga-ka's as guests instead of cosplayers.
ACen 2017 LINEUP
Pidge-Voltron
Newt Scamander-FBAWTFT
Neo - RWBY
Flemeth - DA
MC-Mysme

#3 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

I absolutely do NOT want ACen spending their guest inviting money on voice actors that don't even work on anime. I love Grey DeLisle and other voice actors like her, but that is what comic conventions are for. This is an anime con and I want to see anime related guests. I'd honestly be furious if ACen ever invited a guest like that.

Also no, I'm not really interested in famous cosplayers, either. I'd much rather see actual manga-ka, anime directors, and other big names like that. We're the 3rd largest anime con in North America and it's about time our guest list reflects that.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#4 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

Jessica Nigiri and the others do not belong at ACen as guests. I have no issue if they want to go and do what Yaya does at ACen- sell prints and things in the vendor hall and go around in cosplay- but to have the invited- have them collect a pay check and have all their expenses paid? That's a bit much. I'd rather see that money spent on getting japanese voice actors and bands- and just plain industry guests. Smaller conventions could afford to get cosplayers because of their appeal and crowd attraction- but I think if ACen did it, because of the nature of ACen and what people believe as the caliber of it- that ACen would feel the opposite effect.

As far as IMT goes- they are usually at ACen as attendees. Now I know Nina isn't going this year - she has her college graduation. And I doubt Courtney is because she lives in California right now. Yaya is usually at ACen as well- as a vendor/attendee. Jessica & Monica- I've never seen them there.

In my opinion ACen- which is an anime convention as you said- should stop getting non Anime kinds of guests all together. For several years they have gotten comic artists and things- these guys aren't anime related- ACen should stick to in topic guests. For there are plenty to be had. For people who want to go and see tara strong and the others- they can see them at conventions that aren't about anime and japanese culture.

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 09 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

AKB48 and Sumire Sato Lover. 2017 will be my 8th ACen.

#5 User is offline   El Ken 

• Guest Relations Section Chief
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5629

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

I would have to agree with the commenters on this topic. The past couple years, I've mentioned in various posts the general guest make-up I'm shooting for at Anime Central. It's simply 1/3 Japanese anime- and manga-related guests (mangaka and creators, seiyuu, directors, and producers), 1/3 American (non-Japanese) anime industry related guests (ADR directors, voice actors, and others involved in production), and lastly 1/3 Japanese culture and pop culture related guests (bands, fashion, gaming, cultural experts, etc.). I am not yet to this goal, but am working diligently toward it.

Outside of these thirds, you may see some guests primarily unrelated to anime - there was a mention of comic artists above. The original intention of those comic artists coming to ACen was for their involvement with Reading with Pictures, an initiative to teach children to read through comics. We felt it was a great initiative and wanted to bring attention to it by having the creators here to explain it. The focus on that has slipped a bit over time. We are aware of that and are trying to avoid that happening in the future.

One item about cosplaying. Cosplay is a pretty important piece of anime fandom/subculture, especially in the convention circles. While I don't feel that I would invite a well-known cosplayer as a guest, I probably would invite a well-known cosplay artist if their primary focus is teaching costume construction, makeup techniques, and the such.

Lastly, parody and abridging. It's fun, it's great. I'd love to meet the creators and voice over artists. I'm not going to bring them to ACen as guests.
Ken Leiding

Guest Relations Section Chief (2011- )

Hotel/Convention Site Relations, Retired (2006-2010)

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#6 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

If you would like to see notable cosplayers, come on down to the Cosstudio. While they won't be GoH, they will be having some of them holding panels that are relevant to the hobby and craft. Come learn something new that you may not have known about with costuming!

#7 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

In regards to Voice actors like Ms. DeLisle and others, a majority of Voice actors have done some form of dubbing in regards to (if not strictly anime) then forms of Japanese video games. In the case of Ms. DeLisle: Arc the lad, Final Fantasy X-2, Ninja Gaiden II and Ninja Gaiden Stigma, Valkyria Chronicles, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker to just name a few games she has dubbed.

Again while I understand the need to have actors from mostly anime, I do think that given that a number of these talents branch out (Travis, Laura, Crispin, for example) that some leeway needs to be extended to voice actors who may not be known for their anime roles but they may have dubbed in voices from Japanese video games, which can be harder than voicing animation in some cases. Not to mention one of the better known animation dubbing studios, Bang Zoom is out in California where Voice actors traditionally go to do work for not just anime but also western animation.

Manga-ka yes would be nice, but it's cool to have comic artist here from the west who have been influenced by anime and manga. There's a number of them and they can talk about how they came up with their styles and what makes them tick.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#8 User is offline   BreBre716 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59491

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:08 AM

Yeah I have to agree that VAs that are also known for their video game roles (etc) would be nice too. As many of the VAs that do anime work also do video games or those that do Japanese video games as well. James Arnold taylor for example Final Fantasy X's Tidus. Sure he hasn't done anime VA work but one of his most popular and recognizable roles is from a japanese rpg.

But having western comic artists isn't bad either. It's a good mix

This post has been edited by BreBre716: 30 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

ACen 2016 COSPLAY

Minako Arisato/FemMC : Persona 3

Misato Katusragi: Neon Genesis Evangelion
Tidus : Final Fantasy X
Chara : Undertale
Little sister : Boruto Sasuke : Naruto and Frisk : Undertale
Little Cousin : Unconfirmed Pony : My Little Pony Friendship is Magic

#9 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

I agree with being down for VAs from Japanese video games, but I completely and utterly disagree on Western comic artists of any variety. I don't care if they were influenced by anime. They are Western artists. I probably do not read their works. There are countless Western comic book conventions for them to be guests at. Spending GR money on them feels like a total waste to me when that could be going to an actual anime-related guest.

Also, re; the super popular Western cartoon VAs that have done Japanese video games, I'd be totally cool with that IF and ONLY IF the emphasis is on their work on Japanese video games. I do not want to go to a Grey DeLisle panel and hear a million things about Avatar the Last Airbender when she was invited on the pretense of having worked on Bayonetta, for example. I've also seen a lot of people throwing around a few minor anime roles as reasons to invite the MLP voice actresses. No. Their panels will turn into MLP Q&A's and we all know it. I adore MLP, but I'd much rather those VAs be at a MLP con than here.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users